Author Topic: Miss South Carolina is hella dumb!  (Read 17364 times)

vansmack

Re: Miss South Carolina is hella dumb!
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
   does anyone seriously believe that she is truly that stupid, on a day to day basis?
I would venture to guess that she couldn't point out the United States on a map.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by 6949:
  How well do you know the U.S. American states?
Is this a joke? I sat there with close to half of my time left and only Maine left to put on the map and dragged it to virtually every pixel in that state and it refused to accept it.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Is this a joke? I sat there with close to half of my time left and only Maine left to put on the map and dragged it to virtually every pixel in that state and it refused to accept it. [/b]
I ran in to the same problem with Maine. I think it's just bad programming.

Another  quiz
xoxo

Christine Moritz

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
 Right, I apologize to all the residents of TN...another question, do we really need two Carolinas, is there really that much productivity, diversity, and uniqueness to justify this, I mean they were both in the confederacy right?
You're treading on thin ice there.

North Carolina can lay claim to -- among other things -- the music scene of Chapel Hill (Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Ben Folds Five, Southern Culture on the Skids, etc.).

I can't think of much to say about South Carolina that's positive, but it's definitely unique.  The highways all have those yield-no-merge-area entrance ramps, and people all drive at 65 mph no matter what the speed limit is.  (Work area, speed limit 40 mph = everyone drives at 65 mph.  Non-work area, actual speed limit of 65 mph = everyone still drives at 65 mph.)

Oh, and to drive on the South Carolina interstates, you'd think its chief industries were peaches and fireworks.

bnyced0

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Christine Moritz:

Right, I apologize to all the residents of TN...another question, do we really need two Carolinas, is there really that much productivity, diversity, and uniqueness to justify this, I mean they were both in the confederacy right?
You're treading on thin ice there.

North Carolina can lay claim to -- among other things -- the music scene of Chapel Hill (Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Ben Folds Five, Southern Culture on the Skids, etc.).

I can't think of much to say about South Carolina that's positive, but it's definitely unique.  The highways all have those yield-no-merge-area entrance ramps, and people all drive at 65 mph no matter what the speed limit is.  (Work area, speed limit 40 mph = everyone drives at 65 mph.  Non-work area, actual speed limit of 65 mph = everyone still drives at 65 mph.)

Oh, and to drive on the South Carolina interstates, you'd think its chief industries were peaches and fireworks. [/b]
Well there are many states that have an oasis of relevance amongst an otherwise forsaken and non-descript landscape, (ie. Austin, Las Vegas, Chicago, etc) so I can give you Chapel Hill, but beyond that why the hell should we have two Carolinas, does the population numbers support it?  

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we rolled a bunch of these red states into one and they could have their own industries, elections, same-DNA marraige laws, guns for all, etc.  

I'm thinking The carolinas, virginias, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia (special dispensation for Atlanta), Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, The dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, would have enough in common for a kind of defacto secession, and we could even let them keep the handful of professional sports franchises they have, though I'm sure they'd prefer to establish a Queer-shooting league and expand NASCAR with indoor tracks so they could go year round.

Then come election time to avoid disenfranchising anyone we could give them say an electoral vote for every point they add to the overall GDP.  Separate but equal, the founder fathers would be proud.   :p  

Now before anyone launches a tirade against my suggestions, I kidd because I love, I was born in a red state, as were my folks, and I seem to be dating women from red states lately so I mean no disrespect, really......   :roll:

TheDirector217

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

Now before anyone launches a tirade against my suggestions, I kidd because I love, I was born in a red state, as were my folks, and I seem to be dating women from red states lately so I mean no disrespect, really......    :roll:  
I love subliminals.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »
She finished 3rd.

Originally posted by sweetcell:

the real travesty is that she is cut off just as she was about to throw in the clincher: "build up our future... for our children".  that always wins the contest.
(_|_)

Christine Moritz

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »
Apparently she's going to try to redeem herself Tuesday morning on the Today show.

At least the expectations will be low...

------------------------------------------------

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20053437,00.html

Don't know much about ... geography?

Lauren Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA, whose mangled response to a pageant question has become an Internet sensation, will have a second chance to answer it on Tuesday morning's Today show.

"I didn't do anything wrong," she told South Carolina's The State newspaper. "I wasn't expecting [the question]. I lost my train of thought."

She added she "completely misunderstood" the question, which she'll get a second stab at on Today.

The beauty contestant's video on YouTube has received more than 2 million hits thanks to her amazingly off-the-mark answer at Friday night's pageant, when she was queried about why Americans are so bad at geography.

Specifically, she was asked why one-fifth of Americans can't find the United States on a map.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps," she ventured.

During her meandering response, she also tossed in out-of-the-blue references to "the Iraq" and "Asian countries" and their need for the support of the American educational system in identifying the United States on the map.

Upton is described as a varsity athlete and student leader at Lexington High School, where she graduated in June with a 3.5 GPA.

Despite the on-camera gaffe, Upton finished as third runner-up.

------------------------------------------------

ledooh

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »
You're ignoring her point! Some people in this country don't have maps! Can't we have a benefit concert or something?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 08:52:00 pm »
She couldn't even formulate a coherent response along the lines of what she originally seemed to be going with, i.e., geography ignorance being due to lack of maps.

It still would've been a "WTF?"-inducing response, but anyways...

I wonder how much coaching she's getting prior to tomorrow's TV appearance??

distance

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »
that quiz is retarded.  it takes too long to drag/drop the items and it took me 10 tries for it to acknowledge my placement of maine.... and 4 tries for california.   wtf?

i did one recently where you type in all the state names.. that was a bit better i guess.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Christine Moritz:
  She couldn't even formulate a coherent response along the lines of what she originally seemed to be going with, i.e., geography ignorance being due to lack of maps.

It still would've been a "WTF?"-inducing response, but anyways...

I wonder how much coaching she's getting prior to tomorrow's TV appearance??
yeah because getting coached works so well for her... wonder what "buzz" phrases she'll come up with in this interview...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »
my vote is that she'll go with the one that she didn't manage to get in under the buzzer: "...  for our children".
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »
buzz words tomorrow will probably include: childen with AIDS , global warming, and starvation...maybe she'll use "globe" instead of "maps".
(_|_)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »
it was pretty snappy that she ended with "For the Children," which puts her right up there with Ronald Reagan as potential presidential material.
_\|/_