Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2122000 times)

hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #6120 on: September 19, 2016, 10:27:50 pm »
Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series v 12.  18 discs of Classic outtakes... just picking songs at random right now

what? you got the entire thing?

I came really close to buying it a couple of times, but held off.  Borrowing it now from a friend, and easing my way into it.  SOO many goodies.

yeah.. I've listened to a ton of bootlegs from that period..its sick.. I can't imagine 18 discs though...I wish I could have felt comfortable buying it..

I did buy Genuine Live 1966 20+ years ago and listened to those 8 discs through a couple of times.  Ultimately though I rarely, if ever, play them now.  That's why I held off on buying the 18 discs (aside from being wiser with my money these days).  I will listen to most of it once... and only once.  But I'm going to really enjoy it while I do.

yah many years ago i used to go to second coming records in NYC and pick up dylan boots by the armload... $20.98 apiece as I recall.. but they were my lifeline for a few years.. I was pretty obsessed...I love the acoustic sets from 66...

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #6121 on: September 20, 2016, 10:48:45 am »
Mina & Berlin Disaster on Rinse France!

https://www.mixcloud.com/RinseFrance/mina-berlin-disaster-19-septembre-2016/

Super fun tropical vibes for 2 hours
‼‼?‼‼

gavroche

« Reply #6122 on: September 20, 2016, 06:03:25 pm »
Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series v 12.  18 discs of Classic outtakes... just picking songs at random right now

I came really close to buying it a couple of times, but held off.  Borrowing it now from a friend, and easing my way into it.  SOO many goodies.

yeah.. I've listened to a ton of bootlegs from that period..its sick.. I can't imagine 18 discs though...I wish I could have felt comfortable buying it..

I did buy Genuine Live 1966 20+ years ago and listened to those 8 discs through a couple of times.  Ultimately though I rarely, if ever, play them now.  That's why I held off on buying the 18 discs (aside from being wiser with my money these days).  I will listen to most of it once... and only once.  But I'm going to really enjoy it while I do.

yah many years ago i used to go to second coming records in NYC and pick up dylan boots by the armload... $20.98 apiece as I recall.. but they were my lifeline for a few years.. I was pretty obsessed...I love the acoustic sets from 66...

I really love the whole 1966 tour.  That point in Dylan's career was just such a pinnacle for me. It was going to see Bruce that almost convinced me to buy the giant 18 disc Dylan set.  I figured... for only $400 more I could have had the Dylan outtakes, and it put it in a lot of perspective.

hutch

« Reply #6123 on: September 21, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »
^yup...awesome stuff...

I'm listening to a pretty fucked up copy of Lydia Lunch 13:13... I sorta collect early Slash/Ruby records

hutch

« Reply #6124 on: September 21, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »
Mott the Hoople- Rock and Roll Queen.. a best of from their Atlantic Years which contrary to the world I happen to prefer... less glam more rock... sounding really nice right now on a cover of the Kinks You Really Got Me... Death May Be Your Santa Claus may be my favorite Mott song ever...

hutch

« Reply #6125 on: September 22, 2016, 01:14:04 pm »
oooooh getting ready to listen to the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds which just arrived......exciting.... I bought the CD cause I heard the vinyl pressing was iffy.. maybe I'll upgrade letter.. very very stark presentation of the music..hardly any liner notes.. no lyrics....

gavroche

« Reply #6126 on: September 22, 2016, 01:37:28 pm »
oooooh getting ready to listen to the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds which just arrived......exciting.... I bought the CD cause I heard the vinyl pressing was iffy.. maybe I'll upgrade letter.. very very stark presentation of the music..hardly any liner notes.. no lyrics....

This one really disappointed me. 

dyecraig

« Reply #6127 on: September 22, 2016, 02:09:55 pm »

saving it for friday, the performances in the the film were a little rough, but i guess that was the idea.
my lp arrived with a mangled cover and sleeve, so they shipped a new empty one today.
should've just bought local (again).

hutch

« Reply #6128 on: September 22, 2016, 05:12:22 pm »

saving it for friday, the performances in the the film were a little rough, but i guess that was the idea.
my lp arrived with a mangled cover and sleeve, so they shipped a new empty one today.

I tried to buy local at two different stores- at CD cellar I tried 3-4 times which is crazy for me.. I never bother but really wanted to listen to this- and they didn't have it either at CD Cellar or SOM (DC)....

so i bought from amazon..and they had it to me in 36 hours....

now having listened to it.. it is certainly an interesting album.. warren ellis' fingerprints are all over it.... its very gloomy and dark.. soundscapes with nick cave singing/speaking/blathering (take your pick) on religion and lust?

that is my quick take having listened to it once while taking the kids around

will require many listenings to see if the album has some magic or is just boring tripe.... because its nick cave who has the best track record of any single musician over the past 25 years it will get some spins... i really loved the last one....

gavroche

« Reply #6129 on: September 23, 2016, 06:59:24 pm »

I tried to buy local at two different stores- at CD cellar I tried 3-4 times which is crazy for me.. I never bother but really wanted to listen to this- and they didn't have it either at CD Cellar or SOM (DC)....

so i bought from amazon..and they had it to me in 36 hours....

now having listened to it.. it is certainly an interesting album.. warren ellis' fingerprints are all over it.... its very gloomy and dark.. soundscapes with nick cave singing/speaking/blathering (take your pick) on religion and lust?

that is my quick take having listened to it once while taking the kids around

will require many listenings to see if the album has some magic or is just boring tripe.... because its nick cave who has the best track record of any single musician over the past 25 years it will get some spins... i really loved the last one....

The last one took me a little while to get into, but I ended up liking it a good bit.  I don't think I really loved it until I saw the songs live. 

This one for me doesn't have the same movement in it.

dyecraig

« Reply #6130 on: September 23, 2016, 08:12:59 pm »
coltrane - a love supreme.
volume on blast, happy 90th john.

dyecraig

« Reply #6131 on: September 23, 2016, 09:38:35 pm »
nick cave - skeleton tree
admirable, not really hitting me, but i get it.
a few more listens i suppose, but sounds a bit less than i had hoped.
"push the sky away" was to me a pinnacle.

dyecraig

« Reply #6132 on: September 24, 2016, 11:11:42 pm »
chet atkins - the first nashville guitar quartet
w/liona boyd, john pell, john knowles and shel silverstein on rca, promo.
man, this is nice.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:13:32 pm by dyecraig »

hutch

« Reply #6133 on: September 25, 2016, 08:57:04 am »
a lot of dandy warhols

gavroche

« Reply #6134 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:37 pm »
Au Pairs, Sense and Sensuality