Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243870 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3780 on: November 08, 2013, 02:15:21 pm »
fine, i'll talk stout.

tonight i'll either enjoy a stone espresso RIS, which is one of my favorite beers period (and it's a shame it's only out every other year) or a fremont kentucky dark star (i have half a case just sitting there...).

James Ford

« Reply #3781 on: November 10, 2013, 09:25:14 pm »
Attention suburbanites: Backwoods Bastard on draft at Fairfax Whole Foods. Single serving or growler.

atomic

« Reply #3782 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
Went to Ravens game yesterday.  They have some Ravens Walk outside and a stand had domestic for 4 bucks and imports for 5.  I asked what imports he had and he said "Shock Top, Bud Light Lime, and Twisted Tea".  Anyway inside I got a big can of Sam Adams Boston Lager which was truely terrible.   Orioles sure beat the Ravens on Beer.

fatskippy

« Reply #3783 on: November 12, 2013, 02:37:34 pm »
I went to Bluejacket over the weekend. The space is amazing but the beers were average at best. Debuting with 20+ beers seemed like a bit much. I'm sure over time they'll get better, but right now I don't see a reason to go back just yet. It was also incredibly crowded for 4pm.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3784 on: November 12, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »
i haven't been to BJ yet, but a friend who has was of the same opinion... some very respectable beers but not much was  mind-blowing.  also said the food was expensive - $16 burger.  can't say that i'm in a hurry to make it down there.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3785 on: November 12, 2013, 03:52:48 pm »
Has anybody had Hardywood's Gingerbread Stout?

Tentatively planning on daytripping to Richmond for the release party Saturday (as well as other Richmond activities...you know, like egging Julian's house, etc).

shemptiness

« Reply #3786 on: November 12, 2013, 04:05:35 pm »
i haven't been to BJ yet, but a friend who has was of the same opinion... some very respectable beers but not much was  mind-blowing.  also said the food was expensive - $16 burger.  can't say that i'm in a hurry to make it down there.

How do you think he is able to afford his cool hipster wardrobe?

James Ford

« Reply #3787 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »
Are you talking about Greg Engert, or sweetcell's friend?

If the former, I think he just goes to civil war reenactment surplus stores and gets things on the cheap.

If the latter, he's a great guy but I don't think he had a hipster wardrobe.

How do you think he is able to afford his cool hipster wardrobe?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3788 on: November 13, 2013, 12:24:27 pm »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3789 on: November 13, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3790 on: November 13, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »
http://www.citizensbrewingco.com

"Citizens Brewing Co. is a craft brewery serving European-style lagers, American-style ales, Belgian-inspired beers, sour beers, and barrel-aged beers..."

trying to be everything to everyone much?

<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #3791 on: November 13, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »
http://www.citizensbrewingco.com

"Citizens Brewing Co. is a craft brewery serving European-style lagers, American-style ales, Belgian-inspired beers, sour beers, and barrel-aged beers..."

trying to be everything to everyone much?

i dont get these places that open up immediately and start souring and barrel-aging beers. takes a while to develop those styles, especially barrel-aging.  first, you need to produce a beer that's good enough to age, then second, you need to find a suitable barrel. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #3792 on: November 13, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »
upstairs?  gots to be the duchesse.  

i tried the duchesse when it first appeared upstairs.  i wasn't into sours at the time, the bartender warned me about what to expect... and i didn't like.  i def need to try it again next time i'm at the club.  i have since acquired a taste for certain sours.  based on what i've read, the duchesse is very acetic and is a polarizing beer even among sour lovers.

i had a beer at showbox at the market last night in seattle.  i loved the venue, but i died a little when i got to the bar.  they had one or two okay drafts, a georgetown manny's pale ale and a widmer hefe, but they have not cleaned their lines in maybe an eternity and the beer was absolutely awful. bring me back to nine-thirty, please.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3793 on: November 13, 2013, 05:27:38 pm »
The Alchemist hopes to have a replacement retail location operational by Xmas: http://www.alchemistbeer.com/updates/"

so the retail operation is knocked out while i'm in VT over thanksgiving but will return once i'm gone.  great, just great.

(seriously tho, just means i'll have to hunt around and find a store that has some in stock.  hopefully all these shenanigans have scared away the masses...)
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3794 on: November 13, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /updates/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The Alchemist hopes to have a replacement retail location operational by Xmas: http://www.alchemistbeer.com/updates/"

so the retail operation is knocked out while i'm in VT over thanksgiving but will return once i'm gone.  great, just great.

(seriously tho, just means i'll have to hunt around and find a store that has some in stock.  hopefully all these shenanigans have scared away the masses...)