Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243783 times)

atomic

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4515 on: May 07, 2014, 02:52:08 pm »
Honestly, I don't know shit about the stock market. I have my 401K in some kind of combined 20 and 30 year fund that grows more conservatively over time. I have the VA 529 College Fund for my kid. Both are doing great over the last couple of years.

My wife manages her own stock stuff. I pay no attention. She also has Target stock. How are they doing?

I bet my wife's Whole Foods stock is a better bet than InBev. Please buy your InBev beer at Whole Foods.

Oh wait, the nanny state of Maryland doesn't allow beer sales in supermarkets. Stupid Maryland.

Whole Foods down 19 percent today.  It might be a good time for your wife to .  buy more stock.  Get at a bargain.  It is funny after you posted this Whole Foods has nose dived while InBev has kept going up.  Whole Foods was way overpriced at the time.  Still overpriced.  I might buy if it drops another 30 percent. Seems like a good company.  Almost no Debt and good ROIC. Lot of competition but their stores are still packed.

Target hasn't done well the past year.  She would have been much better off in your 30 year fund.  My problem with these year based retirement funds is they are just made up of other funds.  So you are paying a management fee in your base fund and then you are paying fees in the funds it buys. Plus they pay hidden fees every time they sell something in the other funds.  Anyway most important thing is you are putting the max in.  Hard not to end up with a lot of money unless you are speculating on stuff.

atomic

« Reply #4516 on: May 07, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
American Beer Classic
RFK Stadium
July 12 , 2014
American Beer Classic is the ultimate opportunity to celebrate and experience America?s finest beers. Sample and learn from a diverse lineup of breweries while connecting with other beer enthusiasts.
www.americanbeerclassic.com

Looks like a good line-up.  More than you could possibly sample.

James Ford

« Reply #4517 on: May 08, 2014, 11:29:51 am »
May end up having a chance to hit the Surly thing myself. We'll see.

My plan, I think, would be to have a full pour of Abrasive and small pours of Darkness and Pentagram. And get there plenty early for a bar seat.

Any others I "must" drink? I've had Furious and actually detested it.

Which ones are you (and other boardies) planning on hitting?

My wife and I are doing to Paradiso flower beer thing for lunch Thursday and the Meridian Pint sours for brunch on Sunday.

I'm likely doing the Kuhnhenn thing at Churchkey Friday with a friend or alone.

I'd also like to do the Surly/Churchkey event just so that I could have my first Abrasive, but don't know if I can swing it.

I'd also like to do the old beers thing at Meridian Pint just to have a Sucaba, but think I'll miss that one as well.  The Founders and Stone events look appealing, but likely will miss them too.

so... many... beer...events.

Not completely sure yet, but hopefully the Surly or one of the many Firestone Walker events (big hunt, paradiso, or CK).

I wish I was able to do some of the ones that are earlier in the day, but it just ain't in the cards.

James Ford

« Reply #4518 on: May 08, 2014, 11:35:01 am »
LOL Blue Moon is the first one listed.

Some good breweries and some not so good ones listed.

Really though, it all depends on what beers the breweries are pouring. I mean if Dogfish is pouring 60 Minute and Goose Island is pouring Honkers and Victory is pouring their Prima Pils, and so on, there's hardly any point in going.

American Beer Classic
RFK Stadium
July 12 , 2014
American Beer Classic is the ultimate opportunity to celebrate and experience America?s finest beers. Sample and learn from a diverse lineup of breweries while connecting with other beer enthusiasts.

Yada

« Reply #4519 on: May 08, 2014, 12:30:06 pm »

My plan, I think, would be to have a full pour of Abrasive and small pours of Darkness and Pentagram. And get there plenty early for a bar seat.

My wife and I are doing to Paradiso flower beer thing for lunch Thursday and the Meridian Pint sours for brunch on Sunday.

I'd also like to do the Surly/Churchkey event just so that I could have my first Abrasive, but don't know if I can swing it.

I'd also like to do the old beers thing at Meridian Pint just to have a Sucaba, but think I'll miss that one as well.  The Founders and Stone events look appealing, but likely will miss them too.

Not completely sure yet, but hopefully the Surly or one of the many Firestone Walker events (big hunt, paradiso, or CK).

I wish I was able to do some of the ones that are earlier in the day, but it just ain't in the cards.

I haven't had Pentagram, but Darkness is pretty killer as well. I'd go with two full pours of Abrasive!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it tonight.

James Ford

« Reply #4520 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:25 am »
Abrasive, Pentagram, and Darkness all fantastic. Got there before 5, but not a bar seat to be had. I guess they weren't having a duplicate event for half the price at the more conveniently located Dupont Paradiso.

I haven't had Pentagram, but Darkness is pretty killer as well. I'd go with two full pours of Abrasive!

Yada

« Reply #4521 on: May 09, 2014, 09:00:39 am »
Abrasive, Pentagram, and Darkness all fantastic. Got there before 5, but not a bar seat to be had. I guess they weren't having a duplicate event for half the price at the more conveniently located Dupont Paradiso.

More like you were an hour late... the event started at 4pm unlike the Firestone Walker event that started at 6pm.  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #4522 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:13 am »
Fair enough.

Thinking of stopping by for the Kuhnhenn/Maine Beer Company thing today. Maybe that won't be as busy? Maybe more people will be drawn to the "Old" event at Meridian Pint? Who knows. Not quite sure I want to have a 15% blueberry eisbock or a 13% barrel aged barleywine on a day like today though.

I spoke with a couple of CK customers who had come from Rustico in Ballston where they had tapped a barrel aged Cigar City Hunnapau (before the announced time) and it was gone in like 15 mins. Don't these people have jobs?

Yada

« Reply #4523 on: May 09, 2014, 09:39:44 am »
Fair enough.

Thinking of stopping by for the Kuhnhenn/Maine Beer Company thing today. Maybe that won't be as busy? Maybe more people will be drawn to the "Old" event at Meridian Pint? Who knows. Not quite sure I want to have a 15% blueberry eisbock or a 13% barrel aged barleywine on a day like today though.

I spoke with a couple of CK customers who had come from Rustico in Ballston where they had tapped a barrel aged Cigar City Hunnapau (before the announced time) and it was gone in like 15 mins. Don't these people have jobs?

I wonder the same thing. An old co-worker/friend of mine is on Untappd basically all day long, multiple days a week checking multiple beers in, and not just three or four, like a dozen or more. Last night he was at Rustico, CK, Paradiso, and Scion... and this happens multiple days a week.

I think a lot of beer geeks may be saving up for Savor this evening, so events tonight at local bars may be pretty lowkey... however, it is Friday.

atomic

« Reply #4524 on: May 09, 2014, 10:20:08 am »

Really though, it all depends on what beers the breweries are pouring. I mean if Dogfish is pouring 60 Minute and Goose Island is pouring Honkers and Victory is pouring their Prima Pils, and so on, there's hardly any point in going.

American Beer Classic
RFK Stadium
July 12 , 2014

I am sure there are a lot of breweries on that list that you have never tasted before.  I am sure there are plenty of brews for you to try that you would end up fall down drunk by the end of the event.

James Ford

« Reply #4525 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:00 am »
I've tried beers from most of the breweries attending (I count 38 breweries I've tried), and I don't see any attending who I want to try and haven't already.

I enjoy sampling new to me beers, but I don't think this festival would have it. Better to just have a bottle share with beer geek friends. I have no desire to ever be fall down drunk.

Still, any festival that has One Trick Pony at it can't be half bad.

American Beer Classic
RFK Stadium
July 12 , 2014

I am sure there are a lot of breweries on that list that you have never tasted before.  I am sure there are plenty of brews for you to try that you would end up fall down drunk by the end of the event.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:36:21 am by James Ford »

slappy

« Reply #4526 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:20 am »
I've tried beers from most of the breweries attending (I count 38 breweries I've tried), and I don't see any attending who I want to try and haven't already.

There's 93 breweries listed. 38 of 93 isn't most. Other than the few ciders, how do you know by seeing that you won't like it?

atomic

« Reply #4527 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »

There's 93 breweries listed. 38 of 93 isn't most. Other than the few ciders, how do you know by seeing that you won't like it?

He likes to be disagreeable. 

James Ford

« Reply #4528 on: May 09, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »
Ok, name 10 breweries to get excited about in that list of 93.

If I made a list of my 25 favorite breweries , I see maybe 4 there that would make my list.

If I made a list of 10 breweries who I've heard/read good things about but haven't tried and would most want to try, I don't see any of them there.

atomic

« Reply #4529 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:34 pm »
Ok, name 10 breweries to get excited about in that list of 93.

If I made a list of my 25 favorite breweries , I see maybe 4 there that would make my list.

If I made a list of 10 breweries who I've heard/read good things about but haven't tried and would most want to try, I don't see any of them there.

Why would you want your favorite breweries to be there if you are complaining about not getting to drink anything new?  Your logic defies reason.