Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243795 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6690 on: April 08, 2016, 01:12:05 pm »
Hey Sweetcell, BCBS on draft at WFFB. Now. It's Friday. I'm just sayin'.

I had to celebrate my one year since my root canal and no problems yet dental appointment somehow.

you marched all the way over to foggy bottom??  it's a decent lil' walk for you, innit?

WFFB used to be really good about keeping their beermenus page up to date.  since they lost their beer buyer, they might update it once a month.  maybe.  so useless.  how did you find out they had BCBS there?

I had a 11am dental appointment over there. One year since I got a root canal. They had told me they'd try the root canal first but the odds were I'd have to have the tooth pulled before a year was over. One year passed, and tooth got a clean bill of health. Tooth needed some BCBS to help it celebrate.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6691 on: April 08, 2016, 01:59:59 pm »
Is there any real difference on these barrel aged beers on draft vs. out of the bottle? If it were some hotshit IPA I'd probably choose draft, but as it is I might opt for the bottle.

yes, there is a difference.  kegging beer is a gentler process than filling bottles, when done right.  so the beer in the keg could potentially be in better shape.  kegs are often kept refrigerated while bottles linger out in the heat.

you're right, big barrel-aged beer vs. IPA changes the equation... won't matter quite as much given this is KBS.  that being said, i've had both BCBS (going for a walk soon!) and BCBSBW in both bottles and on tap, and they are noticeably different.  i definitely prefer BCBSBW from a bottle.

the most important consideration, IMO, should be post-purchase preservation.  bottles will last a long time.   the growler will need to be drunk relatively quickly.  if you're ok with downing 32 oz in the next few days, go for that - you're getting 32 oz instead of 24.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:09:17 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #6692 on: April 08, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »
believe it or not, Gordon Biersch's imperial IPA is pretty darn tasty and I usually can't stand their stuff

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6693 on: April 08, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »
had me a full pour of BCBS.  the poor guy behind the bar had no idea what he was doing, took him 4 or 5 attempts to fill my growler of Matilda, and he panicked when pouring my BCBS and gave me a full 12/14/16 oz (whatever their big cups are at WFFB).

also snagged a bottle of KBS.  one of the staffers gave up one of their own for me.  i'm gradually warming up to the new beer crew there ;D

believe it or not, Gordon Biersch's imperial IPA is pretty darn tasty and I usually can't stand their stuff

which GB did you have that at?

i recently learned that brewers at most GBs have a decent amount of autonomy.  they need to brew the basics, but beyond those flagship german lagers they can do whatever they want as long as it meets quality standards.  and GB gets some highly trained & technically excellent brewers.  if you go to brewing school, GB is a plush gig to land.  if you didn't go to brewing school, you aren't working at GBs as a brewer.
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #6694 on: April 08, 2016, 05:10:08 pm »
Rockville town center

shemptiness

« Reply #6695 on: April 09, 2016, 11:26:03 am »
New joint opening up the road in Brookeville

« Reply #6696 on: April 09, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »
flying Dog Smoked Belgian Stout - An awesome roast bomb from Flying Dog'sBrewhouse Rarities series. Smoke, coffee, cocoa...deliciousness
So I ended up getting this FD smoked Belgian stout...very good stuff definitely smoky, but in a good way
and at $12 a growler... quite the deal

Tried a taste of the Ocelot IPA and it was good...but was feeling very Space cost conscious and $18 was more than I wanted to spend at the time
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6697 on: April 09, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »
New joint opening up the road in Brookeville

Need this to be great. Not good. Great

brennser

« Reply #6698 on: April 10, 2016, 09:15:09 am »
but I am going to swing by tonight to pick up a growler
you all have been loving Ocelot ....opinions on their Lost Angel IPA

As Space said Aslin is sort of blowing Ocelot out of the water lately, albeit with a radically different style of IPA. That being said I found Lost Angel to be one of their least impressive offerings

« Reply #6699 on: April 10, 2016, 09:38:47 am »
I had another great local beer (IMO) out of Rockville...VA (just outside Richmond?)
Midnight's Not My Job Southern English Brown Ale

Typically don't ever get brown ales, but this was almost black with a coffee/toffee taste
predicibly got (mostly) poor reviews on BA/RA, but it's got my seal of approval
slack

« Reply #6700 on: April 10, 2016, 09:41:50 am »
but I am going to swing by tonight to pick up a growler
you all have been loving Ocelot ....opinions on their Lost Angel IPA

As Space said Aslin is sort of blowing Ocelot out of the water lately, albeit with a radically different style of IPA. That being said I found Lost Angel to be one of their least impressive offerings
That's good news to me..as time to start biking the WO&D and they are about 1/2 mile off it
Ocelot is pretty inconvenient for me to get to, so was happy they had it for growler fills locally
slack

« Reply #6701 on: April 10, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »
...made it to Aslin today
Had the Stellar Parallax DIPA...perfection
yes these guys are doing it right, such a small operation
Mile marker 18.5 ...the trip home was surely a little slower

Love the crowler, next time I'm brining one home
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #6702 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:22 am »
tried this, yes just because of the labeling.  not bad, not awesome; the labeling is better.  should have been used on an epic beer that snobs steal from their mother to get.

medeski7

« Reply #6703 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:31 am »
I was able to get a few bottles of KBS.  Most places were limiting customers to one or two bottles.  I ended up drinking a 2015 KBS I had cellared for the year, but haven't cracked one from this year yet.  Anyone tried it?  What do you think?  This was my first time trying it.  I thought it was very good, but overall, I think I prefer BCBS. 

« Reply #6704 on: April 12, 2016, 10:48:02 am »
another one bites the dust to the big boys
Anheuser-Busch to Acquire Devils Backbone[/URL}
slack