Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243812 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7305 on: August 18, 2016, 09:42:55 am »
so if you could only hit one philadelphia brewery....what would it be

I kinda want to hit Monk's Cafe, but with the Sovereign a few miles from me, it doesn't have the same 'rareness' appeal

Space hit the nail on the head in terms of brewery. Can't go wrong with Tired Hands but if you're driving all over the place, kind of takes away the fun IMO, especially if you've already driven three hours. Eulogy is about 100 yards from Penns Landing where the show is, however, I'm sure will be packed to the gills.

I'd recommend finding the nearest dive bar, ripping a few shots of Jamison, suckin' back a high life or two, puff a one-y and enjoy the day!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7306 on: August 18, 2016, 09:49:17 am »
I'd recommend finding the nearest dive bar, ripping a few shots of Jamison, suckin' back a high life or two, puff a one-y and enjoy the day!
I am aware that a one-y is colloquial slang for a small smoking pipe that delivers approximately one lungful of smoke per loaded bowl.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #7307 on: August 18, 2016, 09:56:50 am »
I am aware that a one-y is colloquial slang for a small smoking pipe that delivers approximately one lungful of smoke per loaded bowl.

Close enough.

hutch

« Reply #7308 on: August 18, 2016, 10:20:26 am »

I kinda want to hit Monk's Cafe, but with the Sovereign a few miles from me, it doesn't have the same 'rareness' appeal

Space hit the nail on the head in terms of brewery. Can't go wrong with Tired Hands but if you're driving all over the place, kind of takes away the fun IMO, especially if you've already driven three hours. Eulogy is about 100 yards from Penns Landing where the show is, however, I'm sure will be packed to the gills.

YES! This is almost my credo.

Yada

« Reply #7309 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:51 am »

YES! This is almost my credo.

« Reply #7310 on: August 18, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »

Philly is just not known for good beer.. Baltimore has Nattyboh... MIlwaukee has Miller.. St Louis Budweiser... Colorado has Coors.. but Philly? Butkus...

Your best bet is probably a roadtrip to Pottsville, PA which is less than 100 miles from Philly...

Troll
+1
slack

Bagley

« Reply #7311 on: August 18, 2016, 01:09:56 pm »
Doesn't Victory count?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7312 on: August 18, 2016, 05:21:40 pm »
Doesn't Victory count?

sure, but the closest option from downtown philly is 45 mins away with no traffic...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7313 on: August 18, 2016, 05:34:34 pm »
My one experience at Monk's...I found it loud and unpleasant. Also, our server was downright rude..,ymmv.

As far as Belgian beer bars go in Philly, Eulogy was better.

my one experience at Monk's was awesome.  it was during the 2013 National Homebrewers Conference, where the guy who started Monk's (Tom Peters) gave the keynote toast.  he said that that night, they would be tapping 2 kegs of Pliny.  the second his talk was over my posse was in cabs headed down to monks.  we got there just in time to grab the last big table.  place got packed very quickly after that.  staff said they couldn't tap the Pliny until another keg kicked.  the assembled mob demanded to know what the least-full keg was, and when they announced it everyone jumped on that beer.  t'was a noble communal effort ;D

the place had a great (albeit special due to NHC) vibe that night.  despite being packed out server was awesome.  mussels were good, beer was great.

never been to eulogy but will hit it next time i'm in philly.
<sig>

« Reply #7314 on: August 18, 2016, 06:36:34 pm »
hit a little pop up at 21st and M  called Canteen
they had Veil - Master Shredder on tap...very delicious and juicy

quite the draft list

although no happy hour pricing and $7-8 a 16 oz pour

I'm getting that melvin the next time
slack

« Reply #7315 on: August 18, 2016, 06:37:40 pm »
the 2013 National Homebrewers Conference,
guess we're never getting the NHBC 2016 commentary :(
slack

Yada

« Reply #7316 on: August 22, 2016, 02:41:53 pm »
Is the Answer/Mekong two different spots or connected? Can you order Mekong food in The Answer Brewpub?
They are in the same strip mall but they are different units (with some other random place in between the two).

I don't know specifically if you can take food from one into the other but The Answer's menu is basically smaller version of Mekong extremely-large menu.

The Answer menu:

http://theanswerbrewpub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Brewpub-Dinner.pdf

Mekong menu:

http://mekongisforbeerlovers.com/food/

One noticeable difference is that the Answer has Bahn Mi sandwiches and Mekong does not.

So what would make a thrifty guy like yourself even want to go to Mekong? My assumption is the beer list, however, where can you find an accurate tap list? I found one that can't be accurate (has aslin, de garde, etc. listed as on tap).

Edit: taking this to the beer thread.

Space Freely

« Reply #7317 on: August 22, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
Is the Answer/Mekong two different spots or connected? Can you order Mekong food in The Answer Brewpub?
They are in the same strip mall but they are different units (with some other random place in between the two).

I don't know specifically if you can take food from one into the other but The Answer's menu is basically smaller version of Mekong extremely-large menu.

The Answer menu:

Mekong menu:

One noticeable difference is that the Answer has Bahn Mi sandwiches and Mekong does not.

So what would make a thrifty guy like yourself even want to go to Mekong? My assumption is the beer list, however, where can you find an accurate tap list? I found one that can't be accurate (has aslin, de garde, etc. listed as on tap).

Very tasty and reasonably priced Vietnamese food and a better tap list than any beer bar in DC, with better prices (e.g. Bon Chien always on tap, $8 for 10 ozs.).

Also, frustratingly, there's never an updated draft list online (though for some reason they keep the Answer list updated). That said, i've been there a half dozen times and the draft list has never been anything short of amazing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:46:28 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #7318 on: August 22, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »

The Answer menu:

Mekong menu:

Very tasty and reasonably priced Vietnamese food and a better tap list than any beer bar in DC, with better prices (e.g. Bon Chien always on tap, $8 for 10 ozs.).

gotcha, i thought the Bon Chien post in the previous thread was a negative due to the Space/Ounce ratio. Where can I find a tap list?

Space Freely

« Reply #7319 on: August 22, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »
Taplist comparable in quality and size to that of Answer, which is onlne, though they might only have one or two Answer beers on draft compared to the full complement at the Answer itself.