Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243913 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7755 on: December 13, 2016, 12:44:44 pm »
What's the consensus on tipping for growler fills?  If I'm paying $16-$17 for a 64 oz fill and maybe grab a pint while I'm there - tip on the pint and maybe a buck or 2 for the fill?

Yes, tip for the pint.

Do you tip when you get carry-out food from a restaurant? And if so, what percentage? There's your answer to the growler question.

I don't, but leave feeling like I should have.  Catholic guilt, perhaps.

Well if they are exceptional in their service, and there's no rule against tipping, and it makes you feel good, tip them.

« Reply #7756 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:49 am »

Hutch ...I found a beer with your name on it...almost
cool freaking can by local dc brewery
no idea how it tastes
slack

« Reply #7757 on: December 18, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
So I've been drinking a serious amount of stouts
Baltic porters, Chocolate Stout, oatmeal stout, milk stout, and imperial stout
basically lots of jet black roasted goodness

only problem is...I think I've gained 10 pounds
slack

hutch

« Reply #7758 on: December 18, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »
So I've been drinking a serious amount of stouts
Baltic porters, Chocolate Stout, oatmeal stout, milk stout, and imperial stout
basically lots of jet black roasted goodness

only problem is...I think I've gained 10 pounds

you are looking rather stout lately...

Space Freely

« Reply #7759 on: December 19, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »
Speaking of gaining 10 pounds, I found the perfect beer to pair with bread pudding. At 12.5% abv, I had to limit myself to one 12 oz goblet. Boulevard Collaboration #6 (with Firestone Walker)

Collaboration No. 6 will be composed of the following beers:

Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad ? 45%
Based loosely on the Smokestack Series? The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the ?angel?s share? of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.
ABV ? 11.8, IBU ? 19

Firestone Walker Stickee Monkee ? 35%
Brewed with Belgian candi sugar and aged in a selection of fine bourbon barrels, Stickee Monkee trailblazes its own category as a ?Central Coast Quad.? The name Stickee Monkee is a nod to the Central Coast?s native Sticky Monkey flower, as well as a shout­‐out to the Belgian monks who pioneered the Quad style. The Belgian candi sugar imparts a signature molasses sweetness to the beer. Meanwhile, maturation in bourbon casks brings ample barrel expression with notes of toasted oak, coconut, leather and cigar tobacco.
ABV ? 13, IBU ? 45

Imperial Stout X ? Tart Cherry (Whiskey Barrel-aged) ? 10%
Our special treat for lovers of big, complex stouts, the Imperial Stout ?X? series offers a year-long roster of limited releases, each with a significant variation. This riff spotlights the addition of tart cherries to fermentation as well as a lactic souring on the brewhouse. The result is a perfect marriage of robust, smoky maltiness and bracing tartness. Unlike the release version of Imperial Stout X ? Tart Cherry, this portion was briefly aged in previously used whiskey barrels.
ABV ? 11, IBU ? 64

Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin ? 10%
Velvet Merkin is the beer that almost wasn?t?Indeed, this vintage oatmeal stout?s comical (or is it scandalous?) name went off the grid for several years, but now it?s back due to popular demand. Velvet Merkin is aged for a full year in retired spirits barrels from Heaven Hill, Woodford Reserve and others, yet manages to offer mind-­boggling balance and restraint. You will wig out when you taste Velvet Merkin?s rich milk chocolate, bourbon and espresso flavors, preceded by aromas of vanilla, coconut, toasted oak and mocha.
ABV ? 8.5, IBU ? 33

Yada

« Reply #7760 on: December 21, 2016, 10:00:10 am »
Made a trip to Veil yesterday to stock up on beers for the holidays... this one hits it out of the park, basically drinking a raspberry smoovie gose. Never Never Again Again by Veil...

They are quickly becoming my favorite brewery other than possibly Trillium for hoppy beverages. Finished the evening off at Answer with a few delicious Andalls and a killer chicken bowl. I unfortunately didn't get the invite to sleep on Julian's couch.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7761 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
I unfortunately didn't get the invite to sleep on Julian's couch.
I unfortunately didn't get the invite to join you at The Veil.
LVMH

« Reply #7762 on: December 21, 2016, 10:38:37 am »
I unfortunately didn't get the invite to sleep on Julian's couch.
I unfortunately didn't get the invite to join you at The Veil.
The Veil is great...they were up here for that fest in november and spent almost the whole time talking to one of the owners and drinking theirs and The answer's delicious beverages

Greg Engert is in tight with these guys and keeps getting kegs for his restaurants...only way to get it in DC (unless you get someone to get cans on tue/wed)

Did you see they named a beer after you at the Answer...I'm sure it's awesome

Julian Buck (Andall) -The Answer
Stout - Imperial / Double

slack

« Reply #7763 on: December 21, 2016, 11:10:28 am »
Greg Engert is in tight with these guys and keeps getting kegs for his restaurants...only way to get it in DC (unless you get someone to get cans on tue/wed)
Same here. If a restaurant is given a keg here (which is super uncommon and requires knowing one of the brewers), there is a strict "no social media" policy about letting people know you have it. It's weird.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #7764 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:27 am »
Same here. If a restaurant is given a keg here (which is super uncommon and requires knowing one of the brewers), there is a strict "no social media" policy about letting people know you have it. It's weird.

If i lived in Richmond I'd just saddle up at Veil every day. The kegs are a plenty, it's the cans that are minimal.

« Reply #7765 on: December 21, 2016, 12:56:24 pm »
The kegs are a plenty, it's the cans that are minimal.
Yes, the tap room is usually well stocked. I meant the amount of kegs they distribute to other  establishments in town are every bit as scarce/rare as in DC.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #7766 on: December 21, 2016, 01:27:31 pm »
Made a trip to Veil yesterday to stock up on beers for the holidays... this one hits it out of the park, basically drinking a raspberry smoovie gose. Never Never Again Again by Veil...

They are quickly becoming my favorite brewery other than possibly Trillium for hoppy beverages. Finished the evening off at Answer with a few delicious Andalls and a killer chicken bowl. I unfortunately didn't get the invite to sleep on Julian's couch.

I thought about heading down yesterday, but decided not to subject my daughter to my beer impulses at the beginning of her 2+ week vacation.

Now next Tuesday when my wife is off and we've been stuck in the house for the second of three long weekends, that might be fair game. Assuming I'm not out car shopping.

Yada

« Reply #7767 on: December 21, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »

I thought about heading down yesterday, but decided not to subject my daughter to my beer impulses at the beginning of her 2+ week vacation.

Now next Tuesday when my wife is off and we've been stuck in the house for the second of three long weekends, that might be fair game. Assuming I'm not out car shopping.

In terms of beer, that line up from yesterday is about as good as it gets. I hope to make a quarterly Veil visit part of my new year's resolution.

« Reply #7768 on: December 21, 2016, 04:18:34 pm »
If you guys will just paypal/venmo me the $$, I'd pick it up for you and priority mail it. Not every week or anything but occasionally. That's got to be cheaper than the gas down here (not to mention the time).
LVMH

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7769 on: December 21, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
Jesus, Christ.