Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179648 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2805 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
hispanic is not an ethnicity either

I am a white hispanic. there are entire nations full of white hispanics... are spanish people hispanics? according to the US definition yes.. but they are also white... have you ever seen some of the hispanics from spain that are white, blonde and blue eyed?

then you have black hispanics... dominican republic, venezuela, cuba, etc.
The stats they publish on demographics are pulled from data provided by the students/families themselves.  So however the people identify, that's how they will be represented.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2806 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
This conversation is reminding me of the scene in Mad Men where Pete Campbell waxes that he'll have to convince his mother that her new nurse, Manolo Colon, is the European type of Spanish or she'll never go for it.

fuck you dude don't be a spoiler
My apologies. From all the child-rearing discussion, I assumed I was in the Prestige Television Thread and the SPOILER WARNING was in effect.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2807 on: January 17, 2014, 01:14:10 pm »
My apologies. From all the child-rearing discussion, I assumed I was in the Prestige Television Thread and the SPOILER WARNING was in effect.
BURBERRY'D!!
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2808 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:02 pm »

I am a white hispanic. there are entire nations full of white hispanics... are spanish people hispanics? according to the US definition yes.. but they are also white... have you ever seen some of the hispanics from spain that are white, blonde and blue eyed?

The stats they publish on demographics are pulled from data provided by the students/families themselves.  So however the people identify, that's how they will be represented.

to say hispanic is an ethnicity is just stupid.

I mean what are we really saying here? Are we saying "hispanics" have native american indian blood in them?

think about it... if that is what we're saying then why is the ethnicity "hispanic" and not "native american indian"?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2809 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:35 pm »

I mean what are we really saying here? Are we saying "hispanics" have native american indian blood in them?

think about it... if that is what we're saying then why is the ethnicity "hispanic" and not "native american indian"?
Maybe the color wheel should be utilized?

Or maybe just no collection at all.

hutch

« Reply #2810 on: January 17, 2014, 01:27:17 pm »

Maybe the color wheel should be utilized?

Or maybe just no collection at all.

the term hispanic is an American invention to give a name to people from the "south" who are "different" and "not like us"...

ggw

« Reply #2811 on: January 17, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »

Those would be classified as "cholos", to distinguish them from the pure-blood "chicanos".

vansmack

« Reply #2812 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:46 pm »
the term hispanic is an American invention to give a name to people from the "south" who are "different" and "not like us"...

Or Latin (Hispanicus), but whatever helps you sleep at night.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2813 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »

yeah, Latin with Polish, Lithuanian and Italian blood as opposed to White with Polish, LIthuanian and Italian blood

its fucking stupid...

there was a good article in the Post about how in the 70s the government and everybody was all set to go with the term "Latino" but then they went with "Hispanic"

Hispanic  is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. .. a fake invented term for a group of people that all they have in common is that they come from places where "spanish" is the predominant language...

absolutely meaningless

hutch

« Reply #2814 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »

and I fill in white and hispanic

and if the only option is hispanic i put that in

but its a cultural thing to me.. not an ethnic thing

perhaps you think i should be ashamed of "being" a "hispanic"?

well i don't think so, so i sleep just fine

but the term itself is meaningless and stupid... and something made up by people who wanted to put a name to those they saw as "different"

vansmack

« Reply #2815 on: January 17, 2014, 02:03:35 pm »
I was speaking of the Latin language.  The word Hispanicus has existed for some time (long before America, for example), and was used by the Romans to describe folks from the Iberian Peninsula.

You might try taking a breath every now and then.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2816 on: January 17, 2014, 02:06:22 pm »
ratbastard, do you object to being called Caucasian?

I have no concern what-so-even what others call me.  It has zero impact on me. 

agreed.  so why do you take issue with the term "african-american"?  it doesn't affect you, you aren't part of that group.  it's a term that african-americans are comfortable with and self-identify with, so why would you care?

or is there another, deeper issue here?

Although by the technical definition of eh term I am not a member of that group.

Definition of CAUCASIAN (from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caucasian)
1:  of or relating to the Caucasus or its inhabitants
2:  of, constituting, or characteristic of a race of humankind native to Europe, North Africa, and southwest Asia and classified according to physical features ?used especially in referring to persons of European descent having usually light skin pigmentation

oh look, it has two definitions (AKA a subtlety).  referring to "whites" as Caucasians is accepted use.

On a side issue, I would find it rather silly to refer to me as European-American.

you know what's silly?  calling European-Americans "white."  you (and i) are not white.  we are peach, or pink'ish, or whatever... but compare your skin to a piece of paper and you'd have to be blind to think that you are white.

this is my new cause.  i shall not rest until the term "whites" is never, ever used again to describe Caucasians.  JUSTICE SHALL BE MINE!!! I HAVE TRUTH ON MY SIDE!!!
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #2817 on: January 17, 2014, 02:12:55 pm »
ratbastard, do you object to being called Caucasian?

I have no concern what-so-even what others call me.  It has zero impact on me. 

agreed.  so why do you take issue with the term "african-american"?  it doesn't affect you, you aren't part of that group.  it's a term that african-americans are comfortable with and self-identify with, so why would you care?

or is there another, deeper issue here?

Although by the technical definition of eh term I am not a member of that group.

Definition of CAUCASIAN (from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caucasian)
1:  of or relating to the Caucasus or its inhabitants
2:  of, constituting, or characteristic of a race of humankind native to Europe, North Africa, and southwest Asia and classified according to physical features ?used especially in referring to persons of European descent having usually light skin pigmentation

oh look, it has two definitions (AKA a subtlety).  referring to "whites" as Caucasians is accepted use.

On a side issue, I would find it rather silly to refer to me as European-American.

you know what's silly?  calling European-Americans "white."  you (and i) are not white.  we are peach, or pink'ish, or whatever... but compare your skin to a piece of paper and you'd have to be blind to think that you are white.

this is my new cause.  i shall not rest until the term "whites" is never, ever used again to describe Caucasians.  JUSTICE SHALL BE MINE!!! I HAVE TRUTH ON MY SIDE!!!

I care because it doesn't make sense.  I have a friend who is from Africa who and moved to the United States.  He is an African American but he is not black.  What if you have a black person who was born in the US who moves to Sudan.  Is he an African-American-African?  They picked a name several times before.  I don't like the constant changing of terms.  And if they are going to use terms use ones that actually make some sort of sense. 

hutch

« Reply #2818 on: January 17, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »
I was speaking of the Latin language.  The word Hispanicus has existed for some time (long before America, for example), and was used by the Romans to describe folks from the Iberian Peninsula.

You might try taking a breath every now and then.

exactly but a person from Spain would not be a "hispanic" under US classification..he'd be "white"

yet a person from Ecuador with 2 parents from Spain would be a "hispanic"

its asinine.

hutch

« Reply #2819 on: January 17, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »

I care because it doesn't make sense.  I have a friend who is from Africa who and moved to the United States.  He is an African American but he is not black.  What if you have a black person who was born in the US who moves to Sudan.  Is he an African-American-African?  They picked a name several times before.  I don't like the constant changing of terms.  And if they are going to use terms use ones that actually make some sort of sense. 

I have to say Atomic has BY FAR made the most sense on this board this past week.