Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1370686 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #2385 on: August 18, 2009, 12:13:15 pm »
next question: which wednesday game should i dvr to watch friday night?

actually never mind. forgot about the prem midweekers, gotta go with spurs/jozy
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2386 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:14 pm »
It's good to get out from his wages, but what was the loss on Duff?

Duff completes £4m transfer to Fulham
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2387 on: August 18, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
£1m. we bought him for £5m because no one else wanted to pay a has been £70k a week

this is way better business than most toon supporters hoped for
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2388 on: August 18, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »
£1m. we bought him for £5m because no one else wanted to pay a has been £70k a week

this is way better business than most toon supporters hoped for

Oh yeah, that's not a loss at all.  I might even call £4m a win...

FYI - I'm not watching footie until tonight so I will not be returning to this thread.  Text me if I need to know anything not score related.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:49:19 pm by vansmack »
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2389 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:00 pm »
after 2 season at his age its really really good business

none of the sales have been bad yet. i want to say the only two players we paid over £7m for in the last 3 years are collo and oba. we only lost £1m on oba, though we'll take a beating on the argie i bet

looks like smudger and barton are going to stay and i think they are next on the fee scale. the last manager to get backed fully in the sense of transfer fees was souness (remember him?), since then its the wages that have been killer. i think last season we had 13 players on over £50k/week when everton had none (or a couple around that mark depending on who you believe)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:09:44 pm by godsshoeshine »
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2390 on: August 19, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »
Speaking of Everton...Lescott out of the squad for today's Europa match is abad sign for their season.  I've loved his play since Wolves.  Him an Micah Richards in the back 4 could make up for the holes that are Dunn and whomever else Toure replaced.

Richards, Lescott, Toure, Bridge and Dunn....That's not actually terrible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:34:29 pm by vansmack »
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2391 on: August 19, 2009, 12:59:34 pm »
i think they might offer dunne in part exchange

everton is one of those sides that seem like they never should come in 5-7 but do pretty regularly. i think if you support them you trust in moyes and at the same time you pray

oh and i thought celtic were shocking yesterday
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #2392 on: August 19, 2009, 01:18:12 pm »
New important Tevez news for all the Tevez lovers (Frank Gallagher I'm looking at you! :))!!!!!!!

Tevez has offered to teach Oasis' Gallagher brothers the latin cumbia song/dance in exchange for them teaching him "Wonderwall"

http://www.si.clarin.com/2009/08/18/info/01980716.html

vansmack

« Reply #2393 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:07 pm »
So, I actually had to watch this twice just to see what the hell happened.

Burnley's keeper was incredible.
Why was Giggs playing in the middle and Anderson on the left wing? No, SERIOUSLY?  Why was Giggs in the middle and Anderson on the left wing?!?
Owen missed some very open chances that he has to put away if he wants to remain the choice above Macheda, but was onside when his goal was disallowed (well, saved first, and the rebound went in).
Why with Owen, Rooney and Giggs on the pitch did Carrick take the PK?
Wes Brown looked overmatched in the middle.

Nonetheless, all credit to Burnley.  They showed what happens when you play with heart as opposed to United who sort of expected something to fall their way instead of going out and getting it for themselves.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2394 on: August 20, 2009, 01:11:57 am »

Burnley's keeper was incredible.
Why was Giggs playing in the middle and Anderson on the left wing? No, SERIOUSLY?  Why was Giggs in the middle and Anderson on the left wing?!?
Owen missed some very open chances that he has to put away if he wants to remain the choice above Macheda, but was onside when his goal was disallowed (well, saved first, and the rebound went in).
Why with Owen, Rooney and Giggs on the pitch did Carrick take the PK?
Wes Brown looked overmatched in the middle.

Nonetheless, all credit to Burnley.  They showed what happens when you play with heart as opposed to United who sort of expected something to fall their way instead of going out and getting it for themselves.

Maybe Tevez could have helped? I hope Owen turns up his game...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2395 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:00 am »
i didnt watch the match (though i intend to tomorrow night) but isnt this typical for man u in august? i dont know that i like your squad nearly as much as i have in the past, though

didnt see toon either, but another win and another goal for shola. good for him, but the whole sale debacle has got to be put to rest.

have tickets for dc united/golden balls this weekend. pretty excited
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #2396 on: August 20, 2009, 10:34:05 am »
More Tevez related news:

Man City 1- Barcelona 0

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2397 on: August 21, 2009, 10:03:33 am »
hey smackie, i saw a commercial for a la liga sunday match coming soon to espn2. any idea if its going to be hd?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:05:28 am by godsshoeshine »
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2398 on: August 21, 2009, 04:48:28 pm »
hey smackie, i saw a commercial for a la liga sunday match coming soon to espn2. any idea if its going to be hd?

Obviously we won't know until the first match, but the games are broadcast in Spain in HD and ESPN is far ahead of others at converting international signals to US HD signals.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if the game is available in HD (and most Real and Barca matches, which I suspect will be the majority of the matches chosen), then ESPN2 will broadcast the game in HD.  This is exactly how it is in England, BTW. 
27>34

brennser

« Reply #2399 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:22 am »
so Man U - Wigan is on ESPN2 today - what a nice surprise - feed is  not HD however and is also terrible, breaking up every 5 minutes or so