Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241515 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2850 on: June 18, 2013, 12:01:10 pm »
so who's been to Merriweather recently?  this will be my first time back there in months.  any interesting beers on offer? 
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2851 on: June 18, 2013, 12:10:14 pm »
i always thought the pinball machines at merriweather . . . are the stupidest things i have ever seen at a venue.  what other distractions from the show you paid to go to, can they have?  how about a comedy tent? 

stevewizzle

« Reply #2852 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:15 pm »
so who's been to Merriweather recently?  this will be my first time back there in months.  any interesting beers on offer? 

i was there sunday.

i had a duckpin pale ale, and flying dog in-heat wheat (?). it was raging bitch right before that, but i just missed the last pour.  $11 and $10, respectively.  both were purchased over on the right side at a beer truck.

i saw a goose island stand which was not operating. not likely it would have interesting offerings, but who knows. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2853 on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
i always thought the pinball machines at merriweather . . . are the stupidest things i have ever seen at a venue.  what other distractions from the show you paid to go to, can they have?  how about a comedy tent? 

I love the pinball machines.  It was great the time Explosions in the Sky was one of the openers for Flaming Lips.  It gave me something to do during their set.

atomicfront

« Reply #2854 on: June 18, 2013, 12:47:14 pm »
Even if all Belgians were readily available on draft, who has the money to try them all on draft ? They are expensive enough just buying them and trying them at home.

But of course Leffe Blonde is an AB-INBEV beer, so cost is much lower.

Plus it is at a baseball game where all the beers are 8 bucks.  So you could get a Leffe Blonde for 8 bucks or a Coor Light for 8 bucks.  And if it weren't Inbev it wouldn't be available at the game. 

James Ford

« Reply #2855 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »
Where do you live and where do you shop for beer?

Even if all Belgians were readily available on draft, who has the money to try them all on draft ? They are expensive enough just buying them and trying them at home.

Plus it is at a baseball game where all the beers are 8 bucks.  So you could get a Leffe Blonde for 8 bucks or a Coor Light for 8 bucks.  And if it weren't Inbev it wouldn't be available at the game. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2856 on: June 18, 2013, 04:53:04 pm »
Where do you live and where do you shop for beer?

The closest liquor store to my house is Wells Discount Liquor in Baltimore. It is also probably the best liquor store in Baltimore area.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2857 on: June 18, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »
everytime i go into the city, i check out the liquor stores.  years ago, i would have never gone in any of them, because i dont understand people that stay in hotels and buy liquor.  but now, they are awesome locations of the best selections of beers, and sometime they have something forgotten about, where you are smiling like a stupid kid with it all the way to the counter.

shemptiness

« Reply #2858 on: June 18, 2013, 05:21:35 pm »

They had Duckpin and DC Brau 24 oz-ers for $11 at the National show.  Across from the pinball machines if I recall correctly. 

Bagley

« Reply #2859 on: June 18, 2013, 05:33:44 pm »
Just found out that Ballast Point is now available in Maryland.  Too me, that could only mean one thing.......  SCULPIN!

James Ford

« Reply #2860 on: June 18, 2013, 06:48:11 pm »
Ah, my second favorite IPA,  after Heady.

Make sure you try the equally amazing imperial porter from Ballast Point, Victory at Sea.

Just found out that Ballast Point is now available in Maryland.  Too me, that could only mean one thing.......  SCULPIN!

James Ford

« Reply #2861 on: June 18, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »
Max's, please move to DC.

June 21-23, 2013

MAX'S RARE & OBSCURE PART 6
JUNE 21-23, 2013
11AM-2 AM EACH DAY
NO ENTRANCE FEE

We will have 30 Drafts Friday the 21st, 30 More drafts Saturday 22nd and 20 more drafts Sunday the 23rd.
Also featuring over 40 Rare bottles

These drafts and bottles will be from all over the world and may never be seen again.

THE DRAFT LIST: We will add more drafts as they come in....
Alvinne Morphues Wild Undressed
Amager/Mikkeller Hr Frederikson Voesel Brunch
Bad Attitude The Dude
Blue Mountain Coffee Chocolate Dark Hallow
Bourganel Biere Aux Myrtilles
De Dochter Peat Embrasse Arbeg
De Glazen Toren Jan De Lichte Zymatore
De Witte Amarillo Sun
Dieu Du Ciel Blanche Du Paradis
Dunham/Kisseyer Leo's Early Breakfast
Firestone Walker Parabola
Firestone Walker XVI Anniversary
Gales Conquest Masterbrew Zymatore in Pinot Noir Barrels
Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12 Yr
Harviestoun Ola Dubh 21 yr
Het Nest Oak Aged Kleveretien
Magic Rock/Kissmeyer Salty Kiss
Naparbier Pumpkin Tsar
Struise Weltmerz
Struise Ypres
Thornbridge/Terrapin Coalition
Trou Du Diable Dabai Pillee
Trou Du Diable Mactavis
Trou Du Diable P'Tite Butuese
Wadworth 6X
LambrickX
Bahnhof Berliner Weisse w/ barley & Oats
Bahnhof Berliner weisse w/ Barley & Potatoes
Elysian Dicks Pick #2
Evil Twin/Westbrook/Local Option Plastic man
La Socarrada
Emelisse Innovation series: Creme Brulee Stout
Emelisse innovation Series: Smoke Coffee Porter
Omnipollo Agamemnon
Local Option Schmetterling Gose
Allagash Golden Brett
CASKS
Union Duckpin w/ Earl Grey Tea
Union Duckpin w/ Lapsang Souchong Tea
Union Duckpin w/ Darjeeling Tea
Union Duckpin w/ Oolong Tea
Union Duckpin w/ Jasmine Green Tea
Plus many More to come..............................................................

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2862 on: June 18, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »
i had a duckpin pale ale, and flying dog in-heat wheat (?). it was raging bitch right before that, but i just missed the last pour.  $11 and $10, respectively.  both were purchased over on the right side at a beer truck.

i saw a goose island stand which was not operating. not likely it would have interesting offerings, but who knows. 

they had tha GI IPA and a summer ale of some sort.  i tried the IPA, disappointing.  all bitterness, very little hop flavor or aroma (or anything else for that matter).  the lack of hop character made it boring.  i might give this one another try if i'm short of options in the future, but not rushing back.

after i bought my IPA i noticed a hand-drawn sign on a stand that said "raging bitch".  might have went for that had i known, then again i wanted to try the GI.

They had Duckpin and DC Brau 24 oz-ers for $11 at the National show.  Across from the pinball machines if I recall correctly. 

i saw the Duckpin, i'll be trying when i'm back there for B&S.  which DC Brau did they have?  i didn't see any on offer.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2863 on: June 18, 2013, 11:28:57 pm »
this festival isn't nearly as interesting at the blowout at Max's, but it is closer:

Drink the District: American Beer & Wine Festival
East Lawn at Yards Park ? Washington, DC

Saturday, June 29 ? 12:00PM, 6:00PM
    Sunday, June 30 ? 12:00PM

What you get

4 Hours of Unlimited Tastings of 100+ American Wines & 50+ American Beers
    Full Pours of 4 Select Wines & 2 Select Beers
    Live Music, Lawn Games & More Than a Dozen Food Trucks

Celebrate the coming Fourth of July with more than 100 wines and 50 beers all made right here in the USA at Drink the District: Red White & Brew, held on Saturday, June 29 and Sunday, June 30 at the East Lawn of Yards Park.

Between unlimited tastings and a few full pours of patriotic beverages, dive into DC's most delicious food trucks, and enjoy awesome lawn games and live music on the main stage. 

Tickets are currently $30 at https://livingsocial.com/events/cities/1709-washington-d-c-citywide/716692-drink-the-district-american-beer-wine-festival
The price for general admission tickets will go up as it gets closer to the event ($50 day-of).

Breweries revealed so far: Bold Rock Hard Cider | Redd's Apple Ale | Brewery Ommegang | Boulevard Brewing Company | Starr Hill Brewing Company | Sierra Nevada | Goose Island Beer Co. | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co. | Magic Hat Brewing Company | Devils Backbone Outpost Brewery |

http://drinkthedistrict.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DrinkTheDistrict
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #2864 on: June 19, 2013, 07:01:56 am »
coincidentally and serendipitously I will be spending saturday sunday and monday in Baltimore :-)

Max's, please move to DC.

June 21-23, 2013

MAX'S RARE & OBSCURE PART 6
JUNE 21-23, 2013
11AM-2 AM EACH DAY
NO ENTRANCE FEE

We will have 30 Drafts Friday the 21st, 30 More drafts Saturday 22nd and 20 more drafts Sunday the 23rd.
Also featuring over 40 Rare bottles