Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241427 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2985 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53:11 am »
I wonder what will happen to that Brewery in Vermont when the IPA fad ends.  

a'front, can we make a bet on the non-fadness of IPAs?  because they're here to stay.  how about something like: i bet you $<insert dollar amount here> that in 2 years, IPAs will still be the highest selling style of craft beer. 

shake?  i want your money.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2986 on: July 08, 2013, 11:05:29 am »
You live in Baltimore.

The brewer's life will still be better than yours.

Really?  I doubt it.  He lives in Vermont. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2987 on: July 08, 2013, 11:06:49 am »

a'front, can we make a bet on the non-fadness of IPAs?  because they're here to stay.  how about something like: i bet you $<insert dollar amount here> that in 2 years, IPAs will still be the highest selling style of craft beer. 

It is a fad.  Fads can last two years.  But in five years it will be gone.  It will go the way of parachute pants and cabbage patch kids.  Obviously a fad because even mediocre at best IPA's are the best selling beers at the area craft breweries.  

atomicfront

« Reply #2988 on: July 08, 2013, 11:07:59 am »
You live in Baltimore.

Yeah home to the best music scene in the country.  At least I live in a city.  You live in a god-awful suburb. 

vansmack

« Reply #2989 on: July 08, 2013, 11:18:17 am »
This weekend I went to:

New Belgian Brewery
Odell's Brewery
Funkwerks Brewery
Equinox Brewery
Fort Collins Brewery
Big Beaver Brewery

I thought of all of you.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2990 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:27 am »

It is a fad.  Fads can last two years.  But in five years it will be gone.  It will go the way of parachute pants and cabbage patch kids.  Obviously a fad because even mediocre at best IPA's are the best selling beers at the area craft breweries.  

a "fad" does not last 2 years.  a fad is a flash in the pan, a few months tops.

IPAs are here to stay.  Garrett Oliver - who, i dare say, knows a lot more about the beer market than you - said that the "IPA fad" was temporary... in 2009.  IPAs have been leading the charge ever since, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  you'll forgive me if i discount your opinion on the matter.  
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2991 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22:10 am »
This weekend I went to:

New Belgian Brewery
Odell's Brewery
Funkwerks Brewery
Equinox Brewery
Fort Collins Brewery
Big Beaver Brewery

I thought of all of you.

really?!?  were you held hostage on some sort of brewery tour?!? ;D

sounds awesome.  taste anything good?
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2992 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:18 am »
Nice. Any favorites among that bunch? Good for you that you were in Fort Collins and hit those and skipped Anheiser Busch.

Denver/Fort Collins/ Boulder/ Rocky Mountain National Park is our likely family vacation destination in 2014. For the hiking of course. Wouldn't want to be one of those guys who plans a vacation based on beer.

This weekend I went to:

New Belgian Brewery
Odell's Brewery
Funkwerks Brewery
Equinox Brewery
Fort Collins Brewery
Big Beaver Brewery

I thought of all of you.

James Ford

« Reply #2993 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:33 am »
I lived in Baltimore City for two years. That was enough for me.  ;)

You live in Baltimore.

Yeah home to the best music scene in the country.  At least I live in a city.  You live in a god-awful suburb. 

James Ford

« Reply #2994 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:18 am »
The popularity of sours is a passing fad. Like it or not, the popularity of IPA's are here to stay.

atomicfront

« Reply #2995 on: July 08, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »
The popularity of sours is a passing fad. Like it or not, the popularity of IPA's are here to stay.

I guess this means people don't have minds of their own and blindly follow what other do.  Sad. 

James Ford

« Reply #2996 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
Hunter S Thompson was a douchebag.

And if you think Woody Creek Wit is "superior", you surely haven't tried St Bernardus Wit, Ommegang Witte, or Allagash White. Because it aint superior to any of those.

As mediocre as their beer is, it doesn't seem like they should be trying to shed business like that. I'm not buying any more Flying Dog!

Going to Flying Dog tomorrow for the brewery tour.  You have to like this rule:

3. Don't bring your baby.

?All of our tours and events at the brewery are for those 21 and older.
?This includes small children and babies, so get a babysitter: Call your mother-in-law, cash in a favor, or bribe with the totally amazing beer you'll be bringing home.

I am sure they will miss the one draft you buy a year.   There Woody Creek Wit is superior.  Their In-Heat Wheat is pretty good.  I also enjoy their Oyster Stout.  They had a Black Wit on tap at the brewery that was mediocre at best. I pinnaple Session that I did not care for.  The Snake Dog in the Firkin was tasty.  They are definitely a high volume Brewer. 

The best part of the tour was the stories of Hunter S Thomposon who lived on the brewery's founders ranch.  They let you taste the brew at each stage.  Nice tasting area. Probably worth a visit if you like touring breweries.

I went to the Heavy Seas ale house and had some of their Red Sky at Night on Firkin.  Absolutely amazing.  Firkin beer is so much better.  I guess that is why I like my own brews better than store bought.  Pasteurization, Forced Carbonization, and Filtering ruins the taste of beer. All beer should be firkin.

atomicfront

« Reply #2997 on: July 08, 2013, 12:21:03 pm »
Hunter S Thompson was a douchebag.

And if you think Woody Creek Wit is "superior", you surely haven't tried St Bernardus Wit, Ommegang Witte, or Allagash White. Because it aint superior to any of those.

As mediocre as their beer is, it doesn't seem like they should be trying to shed business like that. I'm not buying any more Flying Dog!

Going to Flying Dog tomorrow for the brewery tour.  You have to like this rule:

3. Don't bring your baby.

?All of our tours and events at the brewery are for those 21 and older.
?This includes small children and babies, so get a babysitter: Call your mother-in-law, cash in a favor, or bribe with the totally amazing beer you'll be bringing home.

I am sure they will miss the one draft you buy a year.   There Woody Creek Wit is superior.  Their In-Heat Wheat is pretty good.  I also enjoy their Oyster Stout.  They had a Black Wit on tap at the brewery that was mediocre at best. I pinnaple Session that I did not care for.  The Snake Dog in the Firkin was tasty.  They are definitely a high volume Brewer. 

The best part of the tour was the stories of Hunter S Thomposon who lived on the brewery's founders ranch.  They let you taste the brew at each stage.  Nice tasting area. Probably worth a visit if you like touring breweries.

I went to the Heavy Seas ale house and had some of their Red Sky at Night on Firkin.  Absolutely amazing.  Firkin beer is so much better.  I guess that is why I like my own brews better than store bought.  Pasteurization, Forced Carbonization, and Filtering ruins the taste of beer. All beer should be firkin.

Where did you get that list? Beer Advocate?  You said you don't even like Wits so I know you didn't do a taste comparison.  And I have had the St.  Bernardus and the Allagash White.  Those are both awesome.  That doesn't make Flying Dog's not superior to beers in general.  Plus it is local.  The Woody Creek Wit is Flying Dog's best brew IMHO.  I am guessing you haven't even tasted it.  And are just talking out your ass again.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:25:07 pm by atomicfront »

Yada

« Reply #2998 on: July 08, 2013, 12:23:25 pm »

Have to say, the hopslam a few months later tasted pretty good, better than it did back in March.

Some of the local yocals up here in PA were so blown away by Heady Topper, they didn't know what to do with themselves.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2999 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »

I guess this means people don't have minds of their own and blindly follow what other do.  Sad. 

Well, I was drinking IPAs long before I ever started posting here, so I'm not following anybody.  Unless....unless you are following ME!!