Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241785 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3165 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:15 am »
Ratebeer reviewers agree with you on that Long Trail beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/long-trail-blackbeary-wheat/3049/

15th percentile for all beers, 40th percentile for fruit beers.

Had a Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat.  It was mediocre at best. So much for Vermont Beer all being great.

At Newport Folk Festival all they had for beer was Newport Storm beer.  4 Varieties. IPA, Heifweizen, Amber Ale, Blueberry.  All had one thing in common.  THey were absolutely awful.  I mean worse than Nattie Boh awful. 

Finally I found out they had Woodchuck Cider.  It was quite tasty and is from Vermont.  So Magic Hat and Woodchuck Cider in one state.  Not bad.

atomicfront

« Reply #3166 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:10 am »
Oh I went to the oldest bar in the country last night (White Horse Tavern) and had a Berkshire Brewing Company Steel Rail.  It went down pretty smooth.  I guess people go there just to say they had a beer at the oldest tavern in the country.

hutch

« Reply #3167 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:11 am »
here you go..

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/genesee-cream-ale/74/

I think its a little too carbonated for my personal taste but the ratings speak for themselves and of course tell you what you should like

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3168 on: July 30, 2013, 11:57:34 am »
i know people that rave by that stuff.  like a person who "prefers" pbr.  i know people from upstate new york that will stink eye you if you dare talk bad about the cream ale.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3169 on: July 30, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »
Ratebeer reviewers agree with you on that Long Trail beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/long-trail-blackbeary-wheat/3049/

15th percentile for all beers, 40th percentile for fruit beers.

Had a Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat.  It was mediocre at best. So much for Vermont Beer all being great.

At Newport Folk Festival all they had for beer was Newport Storm beer.  4 Varieties. IPA, Heifweizen, Amber Ale, Blueberry.  All had one thing in common.  THey were absolutely awful.  I mean worse than Nattie Boh awful. 

Finally I found out they had Woodchuck Cider.  It was quite tasty and is from Vermont.  So Magic Hat and Woodchuck Cider in one state.  Not bad.

long trail is mediocre at best.  i've had a number of their beers, most are boring.  i believe that a few pages back i told yada to avoid LT at the beer fest he went to in burlington.

and thanks to the quote, i see that a'front wrote "So much for Vermont Beer all being great."  no one ever said all VT beers were great.  a lot of them are, a few are simply the best, but no one said all are perfect.  talk about selective reading/hearing.  i don't miss his posts at all.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #3170 on: July 30, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »
mikkeller, good

heavy seas, not good.  after having two of them in my life, one being hopthreeipa and then something else at some concert that was better than what i was drinking, but that wasnt saying much, i can say i dont think it is quality; well atleast not quality enough for my tender tongue of beer tastiness.

Agreed.  I do not get the raves about Heavy Seas.  Just takes like pure syrup to me.  ick.

atomicfront

« Reply #3171 on: July 30, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »
mikkeller, good

heavy seas, not good.  after having two of them in my life, one being hopthreeipa and then something else at some concert that was better than what i was drinking, but that wasnt saying much, i can say i dont think it is quality; well atleast not quality enough for my tender tongue of beer tastiness.

Agreed.  I do not get the raves about Heavy Seas.  Just takes like pure syrup to me.  ick.

Go to the Heavy Seas Ale House and have their firkins.  Those are good.  I had the Red Sky at Night out of a Firkin and it was simply amazing.  Got it in the bottle and it wasn't good at all.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3172 on: July 30, 2013, 04:18:37 pm »
really really cool infographic on the growth of craft beer: http://www.newyorker.com/sandbox/business/beer.html.  VT: most breweries per capita!

another interesting newyorker read: A Brief History of Sour Beer, http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/sour-beer-cantillon-a-brief-history.html.  nothing particularly new here but a decent quick survey of the current sour beer scene.
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3173 on: July 30, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »
i know people that rave by that stuff.  like a person who "prefers" pbr.  i know people from upstate new york that will stink eye you if you dare talk bad about the cream ale.

I'm from upstate NY, and that beer is trash. It's a step above Mountain Brew Ice (and yes, that's a Stewart's exclusive!)

hutch

« Reply #3174 on: July 30, 2013, 04:43:40 pm »

I'm from upstate NY, and that beer is trash. It's a step above Mountain Brew Ice (and yes, that's a Stewart's exclusive!)

what about the ratings then?... 9 out of 10 on beer advocate!

hutch

« Reply #3175 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:25 pm »

I'll have to ask my friends from Rochester.. I bet they can give me the lowdown...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3176 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:42 pm »
Brewers Association Reports Continued Growth for U.S. Craft Brewers

Sales and volume up double-digits in first six months of 2013

Boulder, CO ? July 29, 2013?The steady and sustained growth of American craft brewing continued during the first half of 2013, according to mid-year data released by the Brewers Association (BA). The not-for-profit trade association, which represents the majority of U.S. breweries, announced that during the first six months of 2013, American craft beer dollar sales and volume were up 15 percent and 13 percent, respectively. Over the same period last year, dollar sales jumped 14 percent and volume increased 12 percent.

continued: http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/media/press-releases/show?title=brewers-association-reports-continued-growth-for-u-s-craft-brewers

what about the ratings then?... 9 out of 10 on beer advocate!

uh... that's 9 out of 100.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3177 on: July 30, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »
as i said, its like people who live an die by pbr, or mickeys big mouth, or coors light, or miller light.  my parents lived and almost died by means of old milwalkonby in a can, with a pull tab top.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3178 on: July 30, 2013, 05:58:19 pm »
more wonderful articles about beer: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/dining/breweries-not-too-big-for-their-barrels.html

if i could re-visit my "introductions thread", i'd maybe add that it's my goal to start something up like this one day.

atomicfront

« Reply #3179 on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:27 pm »
as i said, its like people who live an die by pbr, or mickeys big mouth, or coors light, or miller light.  my parents lived and almost died by means of old milwalkonby in a can, with a pull tab top.

After trying to drink Newport Storm beers for three days I am never going to make fun of people who drink shitty beer again.  In comparison Bud or Miller Light is quite drinkable.