Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241429 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3765 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:30 pm »
steve, i gotcha.  let's tawk.

u da man.

atomic

« Reply #3766 on: November 07, 2013, 04:12:48 pm »
I bet my wife's Whole Foods stock is a better bet than InBev. Please buy your InBev beer at Whole Foods.

Oh wait, the nanny state of Maryland doesn't allow beer sales in supermarkets. Stupid Maryland.

Whole Foods is down 11 percent today. 

shemptiness

« Reply #3767 on: November 07, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3768 on: November 07, 2013, 06:26:56 pm »
DC has a 10% tax on beer?!?  guess i never looked closely at my receipts before...
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #3769 on: November 07, 2013, 07:27:16 pm »
DC has a 10% tax on beer?!?  guess i never looked closely at my receipts before...

Restaurant Tax in DC is 10 percent I believe.   I was always shocked by this the year I worked in DC. But luckily it was in the .dot com era and I just expensed my lunches.   

James Ford

« Reply #3770 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »
What's the deal with Dogfish dropping Raison D'Etre? Always seemed like a good beer to me. Though honestly haven't bought any in a long time....maybe that's why they are dropping it.  Maybe I'll horde one last six pack while they are still around. Also dropping the Chicory Stout, no great loss there imo.

James Ford

« Reply #3771 on: November 07, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »
Here's a beer event in DC for atomic to come and pay 10% tax on.

his Saturday, ChurchKey is celebrating 12 direct-from-Germany brews dispensed via rubber-clad gravity kegs! As part of the feature, we will have 4 offerings from Klosterbrauerei Weißenohe, including the much-revered Benediktiner Zwickel, a beautiful unfiltered German Pilsener and a rare Landbier in Altfränkisch Klosterbier. We'll also have 4 beers from Mahr's Bräu including the highly sought-after unfiltered Ungespundet Helles Lager!

And we will be pouring beers from breweries that hardly ever--if ever--send beer to the USA: Lowenbrau's Buttenheim Kellerbier, Kraus Hell, Bayer Theinheim Landbier, & Monchsambacher Unfiltered Lagerbier!

Come discover the beautiful and delicately-nuanced lagers of Franconia, Germany...each unfiltered, unpasteurized and naturally dispensed from traditional rubber-clad kegs...this is a unique opportunity you will not want to miss!

There is no admission fee for this event, and all Gravity Keg pours will be priced individually by the glass and in 4 oz. tasting pours.

The Full Franconian Gravity Keg List:
Weißenohe Benediktiner Zwickel
Weißenohe Altfränkisch Klosterbier
Weißenohe Bioland
Weißenohe Monk's Christkindl
Mahr's Ungespundet
Mahr's Pils
Mahr's Hell
Mahr's Bockbier
Lowenbrau Buttenheim Kellerbier
Brauerei Kruas Hell
Bayer Landbier
Monchsambacher Unfiletered Lager

stevewizzle

« Reply #3772 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:31 pm »
What's the deal with Dogfish dropping Raison D'Etre? Always seemed like a good beer to me. Though honestly haven't bought any in a long time....maybe that's why they are dropping it.  Maybe I'll horde one last six pack while they are still around. Also dropping the Chicory Stout, no great loss there imo.

weird.  i always liked raison d'etre, and it was my go-to beer on the floor of 9:30.

upstairs?  gots to be the duchesse.  

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3773 on: November 08, 2013, 12:07:30 am »

i tried the duchesse when it first appeared upstairs.  i wasn't into sours at the time, the bartender warned me about what to expect... and i didn't like.  i def need to try it again next time i'm at the club.  i have since acquired a taste for certain sours.  based on what i've read, the duchesse is very acetic and is a polarizing beer even among sour lovers.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3774 on: November 08, 2013, 12:09:16 am »
tomorrow, friday nov 8, is international stout day!

http://www.stoutday.com/

throw one in the fridge now, so you can take it out when you get home and it'll be the perfect temp by the time you have dinner ;D  who's busting out what?  i have some Stone IRS that i've been aging for a year and a half, sounds like a good excuse to bust it out.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3775 on: November 08, 2013, 07:12:14 am »
What do y'll think of Rodenbach Grand Cru? I think I read that it was one of the standard bearers among Belgian sours. My wife picked one up downtown (unavailable in VA) but we haven't tried it yet.

i tried the duchesse when it first appeared upstairs.  i wasn't into sours at the time, the bartender warned me about what to expect... and i didn't like.  i def need to try it again next time i'm at the club.  i have since acquired a taste for certain sours.  based on what i've read, the duchesse is very acetic and is a polarizing beer even among sour lovers.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3776 on: November 08, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »
What do y'll think of Rodenbach Grand Cru? I think I read that it was one of the standard bearers among Belgian sours. My wife picked one up downtown (unavailable in VA) but we haven't tried it yet.

grand cru is indeed a standard bearer, and my go-to sour if i'm craving (mostly due to the price point, but also because it's a damn good beer).

duchesse is more sugary sweet to me, with a light lactic finish. gets much better as it warms up.  i find grand cru more acetic and overall more tart, though it's been a while since i've had either.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3777 on: November 08, 2013, 12:38:13 pm »
Rodenbach GC is another one i need to re-try. 

in general flanders reds aren't my favorite style of sour, they're too "straight vinegar" for me.
<sig>

« Reply #3778 on: November 08, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »
still one of my favorites and what kinda turned me on to Sour's a few years back is Monks Café
Flemish red sour
Monk's Cafe
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3779 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:23 pm »
all this talk of sours is entirely inappropriate on International Stout Day.

so late last night i changed plans... tonight's celebration of ISD will be made up of some combination of:
- Leinenkugel Big Eddy RIS, 2011 (surprisingly good)
- Founders Imperial Stout, 2011 (predictably awesome)
- homebrewed chocolate oatmeal stout
- homebrewed belgian imperial stout

i might not get through all of these tonight, but it's nice to know i have the option ;D

i also added a DuClaw Retribution to the cellar today.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:06:17 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>