Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241450 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3960 on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:03 am »
I guess I'm the only one with a less than stellar review of Three Stars. Maybe because it was crowded and uncomfortable with two kids in tow (one ours, one a friend with his kid), whereas we've always had seats at DC Brau. The beers were pretty good, but not worth the high growler prices they were charging.

Anybody been to Atlas or Right Proper yet?

Yada

« Reply #3961 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:58 am »
I guess I'm the only one with a less than stellar review of Three Stars. Maybe because it was crowded and uncomfortable with two kids in tow (one ours, one a friend with his kid), whereas we've always had seats at DC Brau. The beers were pretty good, but not worth the high growler prices they were charging.

What do you consider high prices for a growler? I don't buy them enough to know, but $16 for 64 oz of a high ABV tasty beverage seems fair to me.

James Ford

« Reply #3962 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:13 pm »
I guess I'm comparing prices to four or six packs. I can get 48 ozs of DirtWolf for 8 bucks or 72 ozs of the Truth for $10. And I don't have to drive an hour and already own a growler to get it.

What do you consider high prices for a growler? I don't buy them enough to know, but $16 for 64 oz of a high ABV tasty beverage seems fair to me.

Bagley

« Reply #3963 on: December 12, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »
Went to a holiday get together for work at a local American Tap Room last night.   Mostly a waste of taps-till I discovered the unadvertised Lagunitas Brown Shugga!  Yummy!
Wondered why I was moving a little slow today, until  I realized it was 10%...

James Ford

« Reply #3964 on: December 12, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »
Yes, excellent beer!

And at $10 for a six pack, a much better deal than a $16 growler of 3 Stars.

Went to a holiday get together for work at a local American Tap Room last night.   Mostly a waste of taps-till I discovered the unadvertised Lagunitas Brown Shugga!  Yummy!

Yada

« Reply #3965 on: December 12, 2013, 02:38:03 pm »
Yes, excellent beer!

I take it you're the kinda guy that will drive an hour to save $2?

James Ford

« Reply #3966 on: December 12, 2013, 02:59:13 pm »
Nope, I wouldn't. Thankfully I live within walking distance of a Whole Foods and within 10 miles of three different Total Wines and two Trader Joes (maybe more). I choose to live where they don't have retardedly high prices.

Yes, excellent beer!

Yada

« Reply #3967 on: December 12, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »
Nope, I wouldn't. Thankfully I live within walking distance of a Whole Foods and within 10 miles of three different Total Wines and two Trader Joes (maybe more). I choose to live where they don't have retardedly high prices.

Yes, excellent beer!

It must be hard to choose between all of the good breweries in VA.

James Ford

« Reply #3968 on: December 12, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »
Hard to choose what? Not sure what you're getting at. You're losing me.

But if you're trying to slag VA breweries, I'll just say that Alewerks makes as good a beer (Bitter Valentine) as any beer brewed in DC or MD. And fwiw, Devil's Backbone (VA)  won more medals at GABF than all DC and MD breweries combined. Not to forget Hardywood (VA), whose Gingerbread Stout recently bagged me a couple of amazing beer trades.  ;D

Yes, excellent beer!

Yada

« Reply #3969 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »

But if you're trying to slag VA breweries, I'll just say that Alewerks makes as good a beer (Bitter Valentine) as any beer brewed in DC or MD. And fwiw, Devil's Backbone (VA)  won more medals at GABF than all DC and MD breweries combined. Not to forget Hardywood (VA), whose Gingerbread Stout recently bagged me a couple of amazing beer trades.  ;D

Yes, excellent beer!

Your post comparing a $10 six pack to Three Stars made about as much sense. 

James Ford

« Reply #3970 on: December 12, 2013, 04:51:47 pm »
I thought you wanted to know my opinion on the price of a 64 oz $16 growler of high abv, high quality beer.

I thought that sounded high since I can get 72 ozs of high quality high abv beer for $10 in bottles. And for me, at a much more convenient location.

How does that not make sense?

Yes, excellent beer!

Yada

« Reply #3971 on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:34 pm »
I thought you wanted to know my opinion on the price of a 64 oz $16 growler of high abv, high quality beer.

I thought that sounded high since I can get 72 ozs of high quality high abv beer for $10 in bottles. And for me, at a much more convenient location.

How does that not make sense?

Yes, excellent beer!

You still haven't answered my question about what's the a fair price for a growler fresh from a brewery?

Six packs/Four pack prices = / = growler prices. So I guess I'll rephrase it... Assuming you buy growlers at Whole Foods in a 10 minute radius to your home, what is a fair price?

James Ford

« Reply #3972 on: December 12, 2013, 05:08:13 pm »
I generally only buy growlers of stuff that isn't sold in bottles. Unless the growler price is excellent and I can't find a bottle of it. For example, Founders Sweet Repute sold for about $19 for a 26 oz bottle, I got it on draft at $14 for 32 oz.

And I generally limit myself to 32 oz growler fills since the product starts to degrade the minute you open it. Even 32 ozs is a stretch on the high abv beers.

Bottom line, if I can get it in a bottle, that's what I'm choosing. If I can't, the price has to be pretty sweet. What is pretty sweet? I know it when I see it. $16 for a Three Stars beer isn't sweet (in part because anything after 32 oz, the value declines for me).

Yada

« Reply #3973 on: December 12, 2013, 05:16:13 pm »
I generally only buy growlers of stuff that isn't sold in bottles. Unless the growler price is excellent and I can't find a bottle of it. For example, Founders Sweet Repute sold for about $19 for a 26 oz bottle, I got it on draft at $14 for 32 oz.

And I generally limit myself to 32 oz growler fills since the product starts to degrade the minute you open it. Even 32 ozs is a stretch on the high abv beers.

Bottom line, if I can get it in a bottle, that's what I'm choosing. If I can't, the price has to be pretty sweet. What is pretty sweet? I know it when I see it. $16 for a Three Stars beer isn't sweet (in part because anything after 32 oz, the value declines for me).

According to Jimmy Fordish logic though, a 32oz growler of Three Stars would actually be a great deal!

:o :o :o :o

James Ford

« Reply #3974 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:59 pm »
Well, not really. But if you're happy with your purchase, that's the only logic that really matters.

According to Jimmy Fordish logic though, a 32oz growler of Three Stars would actually be a great deal!

:o :o :o :o