Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241432 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4035 on: December 31, 2013, 05:58:46 pm »
I can honestly say that Heady Topper is still the best beer I've ever tasted. Even better than anyone's home brews. Even better than any beer I've had from Germany, Austria, California, or the Whole Foods within walking distance of my house.

Would I drive from Virginia to Vermont and back to get it? Nope.

Would I drive from my mom's house (if I were already there visiting), which is less than 3 hours away(each way) to get Heady? Yes, I would. As long as mom doesn't move or die, I'll be drinking Heady.

atomic

« Reply #4036 on: December 31, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
I can honestly say that Heady Topper is still the best beer I've ever tasted. Even better than anyone's home brews. Even better than any beer I've had from Germany, Austria, California, or the Whole Foods within walking distance of my house.

Would I drive from Virginia to Vermont and back to get it? Nope.

Would I drive from my mom's house (if I were already there visiting), which is less than 3 hours away(each way) to get Heady? Yes, I would. As long as mom doesn't move or die, I'll be drinking Heady.

To say one beer is better tasting than all other beers is comical.  I like blueberries and I like cherries to say one taste better?  Not really both are good in their own way.  I will say wild blueberries picked on a mountain trail in Maine taste better but that might just because you work up an appetite getting to them.  There are a ton of different beers.  If I were in VT I would have one of their beers. If I am in Munich I will have a Munich beer.   If I am in Maine I will have a Maine beer.  

How would you even compare a Dunkel to a Double IPA?  Or a Belgian Wit to a Oatmeal Stout?  I don't understand the need to rank things.  You either like a beer or you don't.   I am have gone back to weaker beers just because I can drink more without getting overly intoxicated.  A relative gave me a 120 minute IPA at Christmas and while it tastes good I don't considerate that a beer.  That is more of a liquor.  I want something that I can 7 or 8 of without getting drunk.

James Ford

« Reply #4037 on: December 31, 2013, 07:13:37 pm »
I like chocolate chip cookies better than gingerbread cookies. However, I'd choose a ell made homemade gingerbread cookie over a Chips Ahoy.

I like double IPA's better than dunkels. However, I'd choose a well made dunkel from Germany over a double IPA from Sam Adams.

James Ford

« Reply #4038 on: December 31, 2013, 07:46:28 pm »
And why in god's name would you want to drink 7 or 8 beers and not get drunk? Are you one of those people that drinks 7 or 8 sodas or coffees a day too?

The only thing i want to drink 7 or 8 of a day is water.

Do you have a favorite football team? how about a favorite restaurant? How about a favorite wife? Why not have a favorite beer?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:48:14 pm by James Ford »

atomic

« Reply #4039 on: January 01, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »
And why in god's name would you want to drink 7 or 8 beers and not get drunk? Are you one of those people that drinks 7 or 8 sodas or coffees a day too?

The only thing i want to drink 7 or 8 of a day is water.

Do you have a favorite football team? how about a favorite restaurant? How about a favorite wife? Why not have a favorite beer?

You didn't say it was your favorite beer you said it was the best beer.  Quite a different thing.  It would be like if I said the Ravens were the best sports team in the world.  They might be my favorite but I don't see how anyone could say any team was the best sports team in the world. Also, my favorite restaurant is Petit Louis Bistro.  I like it because the staff is outstanding, the food is decent and has a good variety and it is very close to my house.  I would not ever say it is the best restraurant in the world.  Or even the best in which I have ever eaten.  I wouldn't even know how to come up with which restaurant I have eaten is the best. 

As for favorite wives. I would say wife #2 is my favorite and that is any easy choice because if wife #1 was my favorite there wouldn't be a wife #2. 

Also I don't drink soda or coffee.  I do like to have 7 or 8 beers over a night of drinking. I liked to get buzzed but I don't want to get black out drunk If I drink 8 120 minute IPAs I am sure I will end up in the later category potentially doing and saying inappropiate things.

Yada

« Reply #4040 on: January 01, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »
Holy shite, fresh surly abrasive is so delicious. Undoubtedly, the only DIPA that might touch topper.

Happy New Year folks.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4041 on: January 01, 2014, 09:30:40 pm »
Holy shite, fresh surly abrasive is so delicious. Undoubtedly, the only DIPA that might touch topper.

go home yada, you're drunk.

James Ford

« Reply #4042 on: January 01, 2014, 10:46:29 pm »
Did you drink 7 or 8 of them?

Happy New Year folks.

James Ford

« Reply #4043 on: January 01, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »
It's rare when I get to try six full pours of beers I've never had, but i did that tonight at smoke and barrel. My wife made me drink this much, I swear. Unfortunately, only one was a true keeper, and unfortunately, it's not yet bottled. Probably should have just had a couple of the first one.

1. Foothills Jade IPA 8.5/10. Bottle this motherfucker already. Comparable to Zombie Dust and nearly as good.
2. Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin 7.5/10. I'd buy this is it were in a reasonably priced four pack instead of a hard to find expensive bomber.
3. Evil Twin/Westbrook Mini Growler 7/10. A reviewer described this beer as "manly". My wife liked it more than I did.
4. Against the Grain Atilla the Hen 6.5/10...noy bad maybe a tad too sweet and a tad too boozy at 13.2 abv.
5. Evil Twin Molatov Cocktail. 6/10. A 13.0% abv IPA. Ordered this one only because my wife insisted.
6. Allagash Midnight Brett.. 4.5/10. like cherry cola And I hate cherry cola.

Yada

« Reply #4044 on: January 02, 2014, 11:40:58 am »
I'm sure most of you ignored the raffle I posted about on here a while back, anyway, I ended up winning a box of beer from Block 15 in Oregon. Has anyone had it?

I should have it within the week.

brennser

« Reply #4045 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:49 am »
Midnight Brett is disgusting - it smells like vomit and tastes only marginally better

It's rare when I get to try six full pours of beers I've never had, but i did that tonight at smoke and barrel. My wife made me drink this much, I swear. Unfortunately, only one was a true keeper, and unfortunately, it's not yet bottled. Probably should have just had a couple of the first one.

1. Foothills Jade IPA 8.5/10. Bottle this motherfucker already. Comparable to Zombie Dust and nearly as good.
2. Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin 7.5/10. I'd buy this is it were in a reasonably priced four pack instead of a hard to find expensive bomber.
3. Evil Twin/Westbrook Mini Growler 7/10. A reviewer described this beer as "manly". My wife liked it more than I did.
4. Against the Grain Atilla the Hen 6.5/10...noy bad maybe a tad too sweet and a tad too boozy at 13.2 abv.
5. Evil Twin Molatov Cocktail. 6/10. A 13.0% abv IPA. Ordered this one only because my wife insisted.
6. Allagash Midnight Brett.. 4.5/10. like cherry cola And I hate cherry cola.

Yada

« Reply #4046 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:34 pm »
Three Stars Illuminati membership on sale.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4047 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »
I'm sure most of you ignored the raffle I posted about on here a while back, anyway, I ended up winning a box of beer from Block 15 in Oregon. Has anyone had it?

never had it, but i hear good things about figgy pudding.

Yada

« Reply #4048 on: January 02, 2014, 12:54:38 pm »

never had it, but i hear good things about figgy pudding.

Werd... that's one of the bottles.

brennser

« Reply #4049 on: January 02, 2014, 01:49:22 pm »
Three Stars Illuminati membership on sale.

200 memberships sold in 90 minutes