Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5400 on: April 22, 2015, 09:24:42 am »
had grapefruit sculpin for the first time.

yeah, that's a terrible beer, gurl.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5401 on: April 22, 2015, 09:29:28 am »
ooh, touch your skin honey . . . you got, new page.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5402 on: April 22, 2015, 11:18:18 am »
had grapefruit sculpin for the first time.

preach brotha

Space Freely

« Reply #5403 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
Grapefruit Sculpin is the Weird Al of beers. Count me in the "hated it" category. Or at least I hated it as an IPA. If I drink it and think of it as a novelty beer, it's at least on the same level as Stiegl Grapefruit Radler.

The fact that the previouslly mentioned PASTE best IPA list had it at #3 (and completely omitted anything from Alpine) completely invalidates that list.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5404 on: April 22, 2015, 01:48:48 pm »
Besides that and the Kirsch what else should a gose novice be checking out?

Smoke and Barrel currently have Bayerischer Bahnhof Leipziger Gose on tap.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #5405 on: April 22, 2015, 02:00:03 pm »
Grapefruit Sculpin is the Weird Al of beers. Count me in the "hated it" category. Or at least I hated it as an IPA. If I drink it and think of it as a novelty beer, it's at least on the same level as Stiegl Grapefruit Radler.

The fact that the previouslly mentioned PASTE best IPA list had it at #3 (and completely omitted anything from Alpine) completely invalidates that list.

i think them including it as an IPA is silly. that and stone delicious stand out because they have a crazy amount of citrus.  they were probably rated high because they stuck out so much.

i had a nelson at brouwers over the weekend and it was pretty forgettable. i'd like to try that full nelson beer from la cumbre (and project dank, while we're at it).

stevewizzle

« Reply #5406 on: April 22, 2015, 02:03:20 pm »
also... consider me in the camp of "green flash needs to dial in these alpine recipes a little bit better". 

Space Freely

« Reply #5407 on: May 04, 2015, 09:00:30 am »
I had Pliny the Elder on draft last night at perhaps the only bar east of Colorado with it on draft.

That said, it was unfortunately only the third or fourth best IPA I had all weekend, exceeded by two of the three IPA's I tried at Tired Hands, and perhaps even equalled by Victory Dirtwolf.

Yada

« Reply #5408 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:31 am »
I had Pliny the Elder on draft last night at perhaps the only bar east of Colorado with it on draft.

That said, it was unfortunately only the third or fourth best IPA I had all weekend, exceeded by two of the three IPA's I tried at Tired Hands, and perhaps even equalled by Victory Dirtwolf.

I'd say that's actually a good thing, nothing unfortunate about that!

Space Freely

« Reply #5409 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:13 am »

I stand corrected. PTE IS still a very good IPA. So yes it was a very good beer weekend in Philly for me.

I've never understood how it rates so, so high. For me, there are other IPA's out there that are better.

Yada

« Reply #5410 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:15 am »
Hop Ranch and Dirt Wolf are delicious when fresh.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5411 on: May 04, 2015, 10:51:15 am »
when space and yada, speak beer . . . I listen.

Yada

« Reply #5412 on: May 04, 2015, 10:58:34 am »
when space and yada, speak beer . . . I listen.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5413 on: May 04, 2015, 11:03:11 am »

I stand corrected. PTE IS still a very good IPA. So yes it was a very good beer weekend in Philly for me.

I've never understood how it rates so, so high. For me, there are other IPA's out there that are better.

Hop Ranch and Dirt Wolf are delicious when fresh.

it's almost like we are approaching a breakthrough on this board with what i've been saying all along... rating IPAs is stupid and whatever is the freshest is the best.

i had a bissell brother's the substance last week.  if i had access to that beer, i don't think i would ever not have it in my fridge.

shemptiness