Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241965 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5416 on: May 04, 2015, 03:12:16 pm »
Anyone crushing these guys yet?

So good.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/an-early-contender-for-beer-of-the-year-1701515512/+robharvilla

It's without a doubt a tasty beer, but beer of the year? The guy who wrote that probably doesn't get out much. It's not even the best gose produced in PA.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5417 on: May 04, 2015, 03:17:38 pm »
it's almost like we are approaching a breakthrough on this board with what i've been saying all along... rating IPAs is stupid and whatever is the freshest is the best.

well, it's a virtuous circle: the higher rated an IPA, the more people seek it out, the quicker it sells out... so when you do find it, it's always fresh.  it may not explain why the Pliney and the Headies of the world first got rated highly, but it explains why they stay there.

That said, it was unfortunately only the third or fourth best IPA I had all weekend, exceeded by two of the three IPA's I tried at Tired Hands, and perhaps even equalled by Victory Dirtwolf.

so you're saying that in PA, you had better IPAs made in-state vs. something that was trucked in from California?

I've never understood how it rates so, so high. For me, there are other IPA's out there that are better.

maybe because so many of the reviewers are in California?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #5418 on: May 04, 2015, 03:29:00 pm »

So good.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/an-early-contender-for-beer-of-the-year-1701515512/+robharvilla

It's without a doubt a tasty beer, but beer of the year? The guy who wrote that probably doesn't get out much. It's not even the best gose produced in PA.

Best gose in Pa is?

Space Freely

« Reply #5419 on: May 04, 2015, 03:39:32 pm »
I can't say that I've had all the goses that are made in PA, but the best I've had was the one I had at Earth, Bread+Brewery in Philly yesterday.

The Kirsch Gose is a little sweeter than I want it to be.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5420 on: May 04, 2015, 04:51:41 pm »
it's almost like we are approaching a breakthrough on this board with what i've been saying all along... rating IPAs is stupid and whatever is the freshest is the best.

well, it's a virtuous circle: the higher rated an IPA, the more people seek it out, the quicker it sells out... so when you do find it, it's always fresh.  it may not explain why the Pliney and the Headies of the world first got rated highly, but it explains why they stay there.

That said, it was unfortunately only the third or fourth best IPA I had all weekend, exceeded by two of the three IPA's I tried at Tired Hands, and perhaps even equalled by Victory Dirtwolf.

so you're saying that in PA, you had better IPAs made in-state vs. something that was trucked in from California?

I've never understood how it rates so, so high. For me, there are other IPA's out there that are better.

maybe because so many of the reviewers are in California?

i like the way you think.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #5421 on: May 04, 2015, 05:09:17 pm »
In Ohio/WV for work and noticed Lagunitas Sucks sixers on the shelves! We have to be getting these soon, right?! I love that beer with a passion.

Also, Columbus is an AMAZING beer city. Bodhi by CBC is a Top 5 beer for me, plus I got it on draft for $5! And that was right after a glass of Alpha King.

Space Freely

« Reply #5422 on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:24 am »
So let me get this straight. Let's say a Philly bar has Pliny the Elder (100 on BA) on draft. They also have (imo) one of the best IPA's from the PNW, Laurelwood Workhorse IPA (93) on draft. Both rarely if ever seen east of the Mississippi, outside of Philly.

You mean to tell me you're going to choose a local IPA by Sly Fox (83) or Yards (85) because the truck has the shortest drive?  ???

stevewizzle

« Reply #5423 on: May 05, 2015, 11:15:03 am »
So let me get this straight. Let's say a Philly bar has Pliny the Elder (100 on BA) on draft. They also have (imo) one of the best IPA's from the PNW, Laurelwood Workhorse IPA (93) on draft. Both rarely if ever seen east of the Mississippi, outside of Philly.

You mean to tell me you're going to choose a local IPA by Sly Fox (83) or Yards (85) because the truck has the shortest drive?  ???

no but i'd happily pass on workhorse and PtE for victory or troegs or weyerbacher or tired hands or pizza boy or hell, even founders, dc brau, dogfish head, flying dog....

and beeradvocate ratings are stupid.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5424 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:17 am »
also workhorse is excellent

Space Freely

« Reply #5425 on: May 11, 2015, 08:21:45 am »

So good.

Best gose in Pa is?

I'm still going to say that the Earth, Bread+Brewery gose was the best PA gose I've had. But I'll add that we split one of these yesterday as a Mother's Day treat, and yes, this is a damn tasty beer and I wish that I'd bought more than five of them, as it seems to be sold out everywhere and presumably not coming back until next Spring, if at all.

Yada

« Reply #5426 on: May 11, 2015, 09:01:29 am »
Happy to see Sucks in 12oz bottles at most local shops now and even better, you do know this first batch is fresh.

Space Freely

« Reply #5427 on: May 11, 2015, 09:10:12 am »
Happy to see Sucks in 12oz bottles at most local shops now and even better, you do know this first batch is fresh.

Is that in the D, the M, or the V? Right in time for me, as for once our home IPA supply is just about shot.

Though I won't buy too much, as we're headed to Tampa next month, and the first checked bags for each person are free on Southwest. So that's about 300 pounds of Jai Alai.

Yada

« Reply #5428 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13:48 am »

Is that in the D, the M, or the V? Right in time for me, as for once our home IPA supply is just about shot.

Though I won't buy too much, as we're headed to Tampa next month, and the first checked bags for each person are free on Southwest. So that's about 300 pounds of Jai Alai.

Purchased in the M ($13.99 a sixer) and spotted in the D ($14.99) a sixer. One of the few times I've seen beer for less in MD!

Space Freely

« Reply #5429 on: May 11, 2015, 09:19:46 am »

Purchased in the M ($13.99 a sixer) and spotted in the D ($14.99) a sixer. One of the few times I've seen beer for less in MD!

Wow, I can remember getting it for $8.99 or $9.99 back in the day. Guess Tony has to pay for the new Chicago brewery somehow, since he didn't take government money like Stone did.