Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241547 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5460 on: May 18, 2015, 02:37:18 pm »
is westy "better", because it is so hard to get?  I see st bernardus everywhere, so I know in America, we get bored of things too easy to find.

I think I paid about 9 Euros for an 11.2 oz Westy in a specialty beer shop in Bruges. I think I paid about 1.5 Euros for an 11.2 oz bottle of St Bernardus 12 in a grocery store in Bruges. If I lived in Belgium, I know what I'd spend my 9 Euros on, 100% of the time. The six pack of St Bernardus singles.

So to answer your question, for me the answer to your question is a qualified "yes".

Yada

« Reply #5461 on: May 18, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »
is westy "better", because it is so hard to get?  I see st bernardus everywhere, so I know in America, we get bored of things too easy to find.

I think I paid about 9 Euros for an 11.2 oz Westy in a specialty beer shop in Bruges. \

Space's most expensive per ounce beer purchase in history?

Space Freely

« Reply #5462 on: May 18, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »

I think I paid about 9 Euros for an 11.2 oz Westy in a specialty beer shop in Bruges. \

At a bar or a bottle shop? If just the latter, maybe, given the strength of the Euro relative to the Dollar in 2012. I've also paid a pretty penny for some Russian River, Lost Abbey, Allagash, Oxbow, and Almanac beers that either i or a friend brought back home for me, so i don't really know...

How about you?

Yada

« Reply #5463 on: May 18, 2015, 03:18:47 pm »

At a bar or a bottle shop? If just the latter, maybe, given the strength of the Euro relative to the Dollar in 2012. I've also paid a pretty penny for some Russian River, Lost Abbey, Allagash, Oxbow, and Almanac beers that either i or a friend brought back home for me, so i don't really know...

How about you?

I'd probably say Cascade, Almanac, or Eclipse.

Yada

« Reply #5464 on: May 18, 2015, 04:27:52 pm »
I some how was picked to be a judge for a home brew contest this weekend... Looks like there's 40 entries thus far. I don't know shit about judgin' but I'll do my best!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5465 on: May 18, 2015, 04:36:08 pm »
i've paid in the low 20's - FW Anniversary, Vanberg & DeWulf Lambickx, Rodenback Caractere Rouge (brought back from Belgium), etc.  the only bottle that i've ever paid more than $25 for was 3 Fonteinen Golden Blend 2011 (375 ml) but that price includes shipping.  still sitting on that one.   i also have two bottle of Eclipse that were close to $30 each but they were both gifts.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5466 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »
I've been to some great (and not so great) craft beer breweries and bars all over North America and Europe. In doing so, i've picked up my fair share of cool beer related t-shirts, often with cool graphics.

But I've got one beer related t-shirt (a gift from my mom) that gets more "Cool t-shirt, bro" comments than all my other beer t-shirts combined:

It's still a BMC world.

Space Freely

« Reply #5467 on: May 20, 2015, 01:33:49 pm »
Woah, check out this SAvor related event....

The events are all getting posted by dc beer now. Been waiting for the official announcement of that Fremont/Founders event on Thurs @ Meridian... (JUNE 4 I'm assuming?)

Other than awesome beer, what do Michigan-based Founders and Washington State-based Fremont have in common?

Well, it turns out that Founders market manager Jonathan McIntire and Fremont brewmaster Matt Lincoln started brewing together 15 years ago in Traverse City, Michigan and the livers have never been the same.

To commemorate this fortuitous meeting, we're pulling out a stellar line-up from each brewery!

Highlights will include:

Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) - A highly coveted imperial stout brewed with coffee and chocolate aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels
 Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) - Imperial stout brewed with coffee and chocolate and cave-aged in bourbon barrels
 Founders Mosaic Promise - Pale ale brewed with one malt (Golden Promise) and one hop (Mosaic)

Fremont Bourbon BA Dark Star - Imperial oatmeal stout aged in 15 year-old Kentucky bourbon barrels
 Fremont Bourbon BA Dark Star w/Coffee
 Fremont Bourbon Abominable (B-BOMB) - Winter warmer aged in oak bourbon barrels

Full beer list:

Founders CBS
 Founders KBS
 Founders Backwoods Bastard
 Founders Big Lushious
 Founders Blushing Monk
 Founders Imperial Stout
 Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale
 Founders Bliss Blast All Day IPA
 Founders All Day IPA
 Founders Mosaic Promise
 Founders Rubaeus (Nitro)

Fremont Interurban IPA
 Fremont Universale Pale Ale
 Fremont The Sister Imperial IPA
 Fremont Summer Ale
 Fremont Spring Elixir
 Fremont Kolsch
 Fremont Bourbon Abominable
 Fremont Bourbon BA Dark Star
 Fremont Bourbon BA Dark Star Coffee
 Fremont 1st Nail

stevewizzle

« Reply #5468 on: May 20, 2015, 01:39:02 pm »
and here's your Fremont cheat-sheet:

b-bomb > 1st nail > Coffee KDS > spring elixir > KDS > summer > interurban > sister

stevewizzle

« Reply #5469 on: May 20, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »
i imagine a good way to spend $50 would be to order CBS, KBS, b-bomb, KDS, and coffee KDS in a row.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5470 on: May 20, 2015, 02:05:29 pm »
i imagine a good way to spend $50 would be to order CBS, KBS, b-bomb, KDS, and coffee KDS in a row.

that's what i would do, but swapping out the KBS in favor of 1st nail.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #5471 on: May 20, 2015, 02:25:18 pm »

that's what i would do, but swapping out the KBS in favor of 1st nail.

a worthy swap out, but it's a different beast than the rest of the stouts. i liken it to abraxas.

it's also presumably a few dollars cheaper.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:32:58 pm by Carlos Spicyweiner »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5472 on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:23 pm »
my thinking is that we can get KBS here (it's rare, but it comes around) as opposed to Freemont which isn't available at all.

also, as i've mentioned here before, i'm sorta over KBS.  it's a very nice stout but not worth the price and the trouble, IMO.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5473 on: May 20, 2015, 03:33:03 pm »
my thinking is that we can get KBS here (it's rare, but it comes around) as opposed to Freemont which isn't available at all.

also, as i've mentioned here before, i'm sorta over KBS.  it's a very nice stout but not worth the price and the trouble, IMO.

I paid about 50 cents an ounce for KBS in a bottle, and about 75 cents an ounce for Parabola in a bottle. I might give Parabola a slight edge in a head to head tasting, but if KBS isn't worth the price, then neither is Parabola, to me.  ;D

That said, I think they're both worth the price I paid, purchased in small annual amounts.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5474 on: May 20, 2015, 03:47:35 pm »
Backwoods, bastard, or, fuck, off.