Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241388 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6675 on: April 04, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »
sidehutch, did you bring home any bottles of that j wakefield dfpf?
I didn't it was only on tap and they only had a soda keg worth
benifits of VIP

should've tracked down some bottles, brah!

Would have been perfect for the Forum bottle share at Yada's house.
Think my invite got lost in the mail
slack

Yada

« Reply #6676 on: April 04, 2016, 01:49:28 pm »
benifits of VIP

Would have been perfect for the Forum bottle share at Yada's house.
Think my invite got lost in the mail

I've never had a "forum" bottle share, but...

« Reply #6677 on: April 05, 2016, 10:04:58 pm »
benifits of VIP

pretty much a purple unicorn
found this guy listing one for $150 if you really want it
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6678 on: April 06, 2016, 10:43:39 am »
also, I tried a sort of sour beer, as it is called, from boulevard, tell tale tart.  I liked it and now have this sort of passion to get into sour beers, having never really tried sour beer or know much about them.  basically, where should I go to next for an excellent sour in bottle from a beer store, that sells good beer and rips you off on the price, just like any small business owner, will.  thank you.

try Duchesse De Bourgogne (if you can get it where you are) and don't look back.

eh, la duchesse can be hit or miss.  i've had a few with diacetyl (buttery flavor) but most are fine.  but even when the beer is what it's supposed to be, i don't find it that interesting.  it's got a strong acetic character (think vinegar) that the beer attempts to balance with some sweetness, and not much else.  sort of a one-trick pony.  if you're in to that particular trick then it's awesome, but i like sours with more complexity (like brett characteristics which this beer seems to lack).

i mean, give it a try, but in case it isn't your thing don't cast all other sours aside.
<sig>

« Reply #6679 on: April 06, 2016, 10:48:52 am »
the one that turned me on to sours was "monks cafe"
great flemish sour that got me hooked on da funk
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6680 on: April 06, 2016, 11:06:19 am »
I'm partial to Flanders Reds when it comes to sours:

Rodenbach Vintage
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Rodenbach Caractere
Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge
Bruery Oude Tart
Panil Bariquee
New Belgium La Folie (technically a sour brown ale but close enough)

The Duchesse is ok, but a bit too sweet for the style to me.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6681 on: April 06, 2016, 12:04:55 pm »
never buy beer from a little ole market out in the middle of nowhere.  I was driving around doing work, and saw this place and it was neat and they sold beer, mostly ok selection for snobs but decent for people who want more than what food lion is trying to do.  go, check out food lion and see what I mean.  well they had troegs nugget nectar, one six pack left.  I said, nice, this is last time I will see that this year so sure, I will buy it.  the lady rang up each beer as the individual sale price of $3, and then did some weird discount, for a grand total of $17 with tax.  I just sat there, not knowing what to do; should I go into bitchfit mode and lay into her, throwing the beer back onto the shelf for I did not want to pay $17 for beer.

no . . . I just handed her my card and thought, ok, whatever, it is a nice day, and this is a, was, a nice place, and I won't see the beer again til next time it comes out.

Space Freely

« Reply #6682 on: April 06, 2016, 12:16:40 pm »
never buy beer from a little ole market out in the middle of nowhere.  I was driving around doing work, and saw this place and it was neat and they sold beer, mostly ok selection for snobs but decent for people who want more than what food lion is trying to do.  go, check out food lion and see what I mean.  well they had troegs nugget nectar, one six pack left.  I said, nice, this is last time I will see that this year so sure, I will buy it.  the lady rang up each beer as the individual sale price of $3, and then did some weird discount, for a grand total of $17 with tax.  I just sat there, not knowing what to do; should I go into bitchfit mode and lay into her, throwing the beer back onto the shelf for I did not want to pay $17 for beer.

no . . . I just handed her my card and thought, ok, whatever, it is a nice day, and this is a, was, a nice place, and I won't see the beer again til next time it comes out.

They were probably charging extra because they aged it for you.

« Reply #6683 on: April 07, 2016, 12:19:29 pm »
funny.......#WorldHealthDay & #NationalBeerDay are on the same day
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #6684 on: April 07, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »
Since it's National Beer Day I'm sipping a National Beer in a National Bohemian pilsner glass and saluting my dad, who worked for them in some capacity for 39 years.

Space Freely

« Reply #6685 on: April 08, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »
Hey Sweetcell, BCBS on draft at WFFB. Now. It's Friday. I'm just sayin'.

I had to celebrate my one year since my root canal and no problems yet dental appointment somehow.

« Reply #6686 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:58 pm »
So on Wednesday I got all excited as The Brew Shop in Arlington posted on their Instagram account that they had some KBS in stock at noon
I cut out of work a little early...and she was like...you would have had to had been here by 1 pm buddy
:(

but I am going to swing by tonight to pick up a growler
you all have been loving Ocelot ....opinions on their Lost Angel IPA

also it's flying dog 'tasting' so they have Flying Dog Smoked Belgian Stout - An awesome roast bomb from Flying Dog'sBrewhouse Rarities series. Smoke, coffee, cocoa...deliciousness
and I was thinking of getting that instead

also had the Anderson Valley Briney Melon Gose last night
not as good as the Kimmy
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6687 on: April 08, 2016, 12:53:10 pm »
The beer at Aslin is so damn good that Ocelot has sort of fallen off my radar. I'm struggling to stop myself from going to Aslin for the second weekend in a row and dropping $40 on beer.

That said, if it's an Ocelot IPA, it won't be anything short of very good, and possibly will be excellent.

Ocelot's anniversary party (4/30) tickets on sale now. I won't be going.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6688 on: April 08, 2016, 01:07:08 pm »
Hey Sweetcell, BCBS on draft at WFFB. Now. It's Friday. I'm just sayin'.

I had to celebrate my one year since my root canal and no problems yet dental appointment somehow.

you marched all the way over to foggy bottom??  it's a decent lil' walk for you, innit?

WFFB used to be really good about keeping their beermenus page up to date.  since they lost their beer buyer, they might update it once a month.  maybe.  so useless.  how did you find out they had BCBS there?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6689 on: April 08, 2016, 01:09:48 pm »
Probably going to be a shitshow, but Dominion in Falls Church has KBS tonight...you get to choose between two bottles, or a 32 oz growler fill.

Is there any real difference on these barrel aged beers on draft vs. out of the bottle? If it were some hotshit IPA I'd probably choose draft, but as it is I might opt for the bottle.

That's if I lived in Falls Church. I don't, and can't be there at 5pm so the point is moot. But maybe some of you do.