Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242132 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6705 on: April 12, 2016, 01:29:15 pm »
another one bites the dust to the big boys
Anheuser-Busch to Acquire Devils Backbone[/URL}

Was just going to post this.

Guess i won't be buying their nice Adventure pack anymore. Wonder if there will be an Adventure pack anymore, as collaborating with Devils Backbone will now mean collaborating with AB-InBev.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6706 on: April 12, 2016, 01:35:53 pm »
not much . . . of a loss.

Space Freely

« Reply #6707 on: April 12, 2016, 01:43:13 pm »

From a quality perspective, I agree. From a business perspective, well I guess we would need stevewizzle hear to break it down.

« Reply #6708 on: April 12, 2016, 02:34:26 pm »

From a quality perspective, I agree. From a business perspective, well I guess we would need stevewizzle hear to break it down.
I miss the Wizz....can someone tell that fart sound to come back

and yeah...can't think of a 'to die for' DB brew.  But I've only had a few
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6709 on: April 12, 2016, 03:02:03 pm »

I miss the Wizz....can someone tell that fart sound to come back

I don't blame the Wizz for moving on. He's a Seattle dweller now.

If someone got both my wife and I jobs in Seattle that both paid in the six figures, I'd move there and never post on this forum again.

« Reply #6710 on: April 12, 2016, 03:06:47 pm »
what does salary and location have to do with posting on this forum??
heck a large percentage of people don't even see shows at the 930 club on this board
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6711 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:36 pm »

From a quality perspective, I agree.

DB makes amazing, by-the-book beers.  if vienna lagers were "in", we'd all be singing the praises of DB.  unfortunately they don't specialize in over-the-top IPAs, or bourbon barrel aged anything, or sours, etc...

DB wins tons of awards for making perfect examples of german and english styles.  unfortunately they aren't very exciting styles per the market.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6712 on: April 12, 2016, 03:55:11 pm »

From a quality perspective, I agree.

DB makes amazing, by-the-book beers.  if vienna lagers were "in", we'd all be singing the praises of DB.  unfortunately they don't specialize in over-the-top IPAs, or bourbon barrel aged anything, or sours, etc...

DB wins tons of awards for making perfect examples of german and english styles.  unfortunately they aren't very exciting styles per the market.

Oh puh-leeze. Their IPA isn't even in the top 100 among IPA's I've tried.

Quick! Name a brewery who has been "doing it for years" that doesn't have a shit ton of medals. This is the most every kid wins a medal industry in America.

What's so special about "brewing to style"? This is America, not Germany. If every brewer brewed to style, all beers in a style would taste the same. If all pizzas were made "to style" all pizzas would the same. If all dark chocolates were brewed "to style", all dark chocolates would be the same. If all art was done "to style", art would be pretty fuicking boring.

Where is creativity in making something that meets some preconceived notion of what it should be?

« Reply #6713 on: April 12, 2016, 03:57:55 pm »
curious...has anyone had Beltway Brewing's Berliner Weisse?

also this wing place is somewhat serious about good beer!

slack

Yada

« Reply #6714 on: April 12, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »
that thing when a Washington Post reporter quotes Space's BA posts on his twitter account!! LOLZ.

Space Freely

« Reply #6715 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »
that thing when a Washington Post reporter quotes Space's BA posts on his twitter account!! LOLZ.

No idea what you're talking about, but before ggw comes to life and calls me out on it, i will confess i stole this line from someone else:

Quick! Name a brewery who has been "doing it for years" that doesn't have a shit ton of medals. This is the most every kid wins a medal industry in America.

Yada

« Reply #6716 on: April 12, 2016, 04:24:28 pm »

No idea what you're talking about, but before ggw comes to life and calls me out on it, i will confess i stole this line from someone else:

Unfortunately it's too painful now to post back and forth on here (once again, Julian wins, but if you respond I'll likely respond back tomorrow), but Fritz Hahn was posting some quotes from the BA forum today on twitter and they sounded very space like... sure enough, pull up the thread on BA and there is old space being quoted!

« Reply #6717 on: April 12, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »

ok...this one I'm interested in trying ...
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6718 on: April 12, 2016, 05:12:38 pm »

ok...this one I'm interested in trying ...

I still have one left, i can bring it to the Forum bottle share you're hosting.

Most of the beers in that Adventure pack were good to very good. That was one of the best. Actually, I thought the imperial brown ale they made with Surly was excellent and best of the box. But I'll give Surly the credit for that.  ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6719 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:27 am »
Oh puh-leeze. Their IPA isn't even in the top 100 among IPA's I've tried.

congrats, you're someone who doesn't like their style of IPA.  you like "modern", west-coast style IPAs - which DB doesn't make.  saying that it's not in your top 100 is meaningless to anyone except you.

i'm only talking GABF medals, which actually count for something (true blind evaluation, by industry peers, etc).  they've only been in operation since 2008 and they've won a disproportionate number of GABF medals since they opened. 

What's so special about "brewing to style"?

it's one of many approaches to brewing.  clearly it doesn't impress you (again, congrats!).  those styles developed for a reason - they taste good, reflected a consensus on taste, etc.  the precision and control of process is impressive, for some (again, clearly not you). 

all this noise reminds me of someone who doesn't like modern art, goes to a modern art showing, and then complains that the art was terrible and he/she can't understand why anyone would go there.  how insightful.  says nothing about the art, only tells us about the complainer's opinions.
<sig>