Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241791 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6810 on: April 22, 2016, 04:48:22 pm »
Sorry you missed out on the Parabola, Sweetcell. I didn't even try, as the secuirty here harasses me even when i have empthy growlers.

My wife used to love that Rye on Rye, but i'm not sure she loved the last bottle as much. Perhaps it didn't age well and needs to be consumed fresh.

I'm planning on picking up one of those DC Brau sixers myself.

And P Street has 32 oz growler fills of Lolita for $10 ($6 for a pint onsite consumption). Sorry SteveWizzle, I'm all over that deal.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6811 on: April 22, 2016, 04:53:42 pm »
over the past few weeks the missus and i have been enjoying Weyerbacher's Blasphemy, a whiskey-barrel-aged belgian quad.  not only tasty, but decently priced at $9.99 for 750 ml.
<sig>

gavroche

« Reply #6812 on: April 22, 2016, 05:07:54 pm »

And P Street has 32 oz growler fills of Lolita for $10 ($6 for a pint onsite consumption). Sorry SteveWizzle, I'm all over that deal.

I just got 64 oz for $17 after the happy hour rebate.  The office has decided to do growlers on Fridays now.

« Reply #6813 on: April 22, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »
I just got 64 oz for $17 after the happy hour rebate.  The office has decided to do growlers on Fridays now.
2 Qs

HH rebate??
where do you work?
slack

« Reply #6814 on: April 22, 2016, 05:42:03 pm »
1) a pour and a half growler of rye-on-rye-on-rye.  sweet baby bajeebus that stuff is awesome.  highly recommended, if you can get some.
dang at 14.6 abv 32 oz seems like a 6 pack!
3) a DC Brau collaboration six-pack from this past weekend's 5th anniversary party.  i should have grabbed a second one, this mixer looks solid:
oh good these are radially available, kind thought they were only for the 5 year party
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6815 on: April 22, 2016, 05:44:22 pm »
oh good these are radially available, kind thought they were only for the 5 year party

assuming you mean "readily" available - i fear the answer is NO.  i think these are very limited.  grab one while/if you can.  pun unintended, but funny!
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6816 on: April 22, 2016, 05:44:47 pm »
Sorry you missed out on the Parabola, Sweetcell.

bah, i've got several bottles from past years in the cellar so it's not like i'm hurting for the stuff.  the only frustration for me is that i've been bugging them for weeks, several times a week, asking when it was coming in.  finally comes in, and a few johnny-come-latelies that happen to check BA at the right moment get some.  oh well ;D

I didn't even try, as the secuirty here harasses me even when i have empthy growlers.

the struggle is real.

My wife used to love that Rye on Rye, but i'm not sure she loved the last bottle as much. Perhaps it didn't age well and needs to be consumed fresh.

but have you guys tried the double-barrel-aged rye-on-rye-on-rye?  i might be wrong, but i believe this is the first time they have released this double-aged version.
<sig>

« Reply #6817 on: April 22, 2016, 06:04:00 pm »

assuming you mean "readily" available - i fear the answer is NO.  i think these are very limited.  grab one while/if you can.  pun unintended, but funny!
no I meant RADially
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6818 on: April 22, 2016, 08:03:23 pm »
2 Qs

HH rebate??
where do you work?

$1 off pints and 32 oz fills, $2 off 64 oz fills.
And yes, where do you work!

« Reply #6819 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:18 pm »
Picked up a 4 pack of the kirsch gose by victory...excellent!  Thanks for the recommendation
I really used to steer clear of the fruity stuff, but I've turned the corner.  I just wasn't having good fruity beers.

Also picked up a growler of Ocelot's Vandals, that is a delicious IPA.

The Arlington Brew Shop is quickly becoming a destination location
great deal on growlers and really good local/fresh selection continually rotating

also been picking up some of their one gallon ingredient kits...two batches for $20 is a good deal IMO
Mostly lighter stuff (amber, Hefe) but looking forward to the Hoppy Belgian

went there hoping to find waldo..but that was gone quick...possibly more next week
but they said they were getting the DC Brau 5 year pack next week

slack

gavroche

« Reply #6820 on: April 22, 2016, 10:46:50 pm »
2 Qs

HH rebate??
where do you work?

$1 off pints and 32 oz fills, $2 off 64 oz fills.
And yes, where do you work!

Yup, HH from 4:00-7:00 every weekday.  We killed the 64 oz of Lolita as well as 64 ounces of 8 point which was $9 bucks.  14th and L, so a pretty quick walk.  US NGO folks like our beer.

Space Freely

« Reply #6821 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00:38 am »
Picked up a 4 pack of the kirsch gose by victory...excellent!  Thanks for the recommendation
I really used to steer clear of the fruity stuff, but I've turned the corner.  I just wasn't having good fruity beers.

Also picked up a growler of Ocelot's Vandals, that is a delicious IPA.

The Arlington Brew Shop is quickly becoming a destination location
great deal on growlers and really good local/fresh selection continually rotating

also been picking up some of their one gallon ingredient kits...two batches for $20 is a good deal IMO
Mostly lighter stuff (amber, Hefe) but looking forward to the Hoppy Belgian

went there hoping to find waldo..but that was gone quick...possibly more next week
but they said they were getting the DC Brau 5 year pack next week

Granted they're not the same styles, but both have the cherry fruit thing going on....so we did a side by side of Kirsch Gose and Ommegang Rosetta...both very good...conclusion was Kirsch Gose better for warmer weather, Rosetta better for colder weather. I think i like the Rosetta slightly more.

My wife really likes the Waldo, for me its a bit too boozy (I'll choose a 6% Aslin ipa anyday over a boozy 11.5%  ipa). I'll probably get a second six pack for her pleasure.

Space Freely

« Reply #6822 on: April 25, 2016, 08:35:22 am »
http://www.pendruid.com/about/

Place looks killer.... Hopefully I get out there by the year 2022.

After reaching the summit of Old Rag yesterday, some family refreshments were well earned. Hence, we hit Pen Druid (and later Carousel Treats for the kid's sweet tooth). Only four beers on tap, we tried two of them, both we very good. One was a really nice dark sour. Ok, not in the same league as Russian River sours, but much better than any of the sours I've tasted at Ocelot. The other was a pilsner done with wild yeast, and man did it really hit the spot after many hours of hiking.

Talked a tad bit with one of the brothers (who instantly recognized my de Molen t-shirt), seemed like a really nice guy who's excited to be doing what they're doing. Sounds like they're commited to going the wild ales route, sure hope they bottle some of it and send it our way. The music was kinda indie psyche rock, not really my thing but I'll still take that over a lot of stuff.

So good beer, good vibe, and I've found a new stop anytime I'm out that way. (which is usually a few times a year) . Y'all should too!

Yada

« Reply #6823 on: April 25, 2016, 09:11:42 am »
when you drink a bunch of fresh Trillium and Treehouse IPAs and Aslin's Master of Karate kind of blows them all out of the water (at least ALL of the tree house beers, nipping at the heels and better than some of the Trillium brews). How exciting to have this brewery in the DC area!!

« Reply #6824 on: April 25, 2016, 09:51:17 am »
when you drink a bunch of fresh Trillium and Treehouse IPAs and Aslin's Master of Karate kind of blows them all out of the water (at least ALL of the tree house beers, nipping at the heels and better than some of the Trillium brews). How exciting to have this brewery in the DC area!!
pedaled by on sunday and wanted to stop in and get a fresh MoK...but time was not on my side
Penn druid sounds awesome, really want to make a road trip out there...too bad it's not of the bike path :/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:28:34 am by SideBurner |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| Ƭ̵̬̊. »
slack