Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241412 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6870 on: April 29, 2016, 03:31:15 pm »
They also still had it (Waldo) as of yesterday at Total Wine Fairfax for $11.99, $10.99 if you have the coupon.

If you're into drinking beer for the sake of getting drunk, that seems like a prety awesome price point for a 11.5% six pack.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:33:01 pm by Space Freely »

walk,on,by

« Reply #6871 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »
Im drinking. Halfway, to drunk.  Gurl.

« Reply #6872 on: April 29, 2016, 08:48:03 pm »
still have yet to source waldo in Nova...

the Brew Shop said DC brau had issues with selling the cans in VA
so they have all of them on draft!
only bummer was they only had Perennial Pink Pallet Jack on tap tonight
She said they were going to rotate the kegs until the kick
which one should I get a growler off? (they also have those 16 oz growlers)

also saw Devil's backbone had this

Had this tonight and am a very satisfied customer

oh and walkie...after a few of these EG's I'm wit ya
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:52:45 pm by SideBurnedOut 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍱 »
slack

Unsanity

« Reply #6873 on: April 30, 2016, 03:24:24 am »
That Cran-Gose is by far my favorite Devil's Backbone beer. I enjoyed a sixer of that and a four pack of Victory Kirsch Gose last weekend. Mmm mmm.

Space Freely

« Reply #6874 on: April 30, 2016, 09:42:52 pm »
Shared the DC Brau pack with friends tonight.

The rye DIPA and the imperial stout were both home runs. Wish they'd make them regular beers.

Also had a Waldo side by side with a Wings, and i ting Waldo took it. L just wish Waldo was 8% with that much flaor.

« Reply #6875 on: May 01, 2016, 09:36:15 am »
That Cran-Gose is by far my favorite Devil's Backbone beer. I enjoyed a sixer of that and a four pack of Victory Kirsch Gose last weekend. Mmm mmm.
Yeah had some at the Fest and thought it was good, not as good as the Victory
just love that tart cherry

Cap city had a gose on tap...meh

So ended up having some really good brews
Adroit Theory's  both offerings were great and I had more than one of each:
White noise IPA was a stand out
The Imagination Atrophy - Caramel Macchiato Milk Stout was possibly my favorite of the day

Mustang Sally's Porter was really good with excellent body and flavor (look out for these guys, nothing crazy, sticking to traditional styles but making them well)

Three stars - Dissonance (Berliner Style Rye) besides the Gose's this was the only sour offering, but I loved it
Full tilt - Hops the cat was very satisfying and would certainly get that if available

honorable mention
Spencer Devon's - The Chimney's Wee Heavy (scotch ale)
Tin Cannon's - Cavalier Joe Porter
Rock Bottom's - Milk Stout
Heavy Sea's - Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA (barrel aged)
DB - Cran Gose

slack

« Reply #6876 on: May 01, 2016, 08:36:16 pm »
picked up a growler of this

and love it!
(WF arl....mostly because they had the Cigar / DC brau colab on tap at arlbrew, but got there at 5:19 and was denied by a closed sign...so headed to WF to see what I could find)
Used to run for the hills with these fruity beers, but keep finding ones I love
just love the tartness
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6877 on: May 01, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
Picked up a 32 oz crowler of Aslin Mind the Hops for $12. Then two 32 oz growlers of Ocelot Home @Whole Foods for $5 each. Both fantastic beers. Mind the Hops is my favorite Aslin DIPA, and Home is the best Ocelot beer I've had. Damn, I've got a lot of beer to drink.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6878 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:31 am »
didn't make it to aslin on the way back from charlottesville, however we did have dinner saturday night at the Pro Re Nata Brewery.  their BBA'ed imperial stout was awesome, the IPA was really good, the belgian pale was kinda forgettable, and the cherry bock was good for what is was supposed to be (sweet bocks really aren't my thing).  good place to bring kids, lots of room for them to run around.  i wouldn't make a trip down there just for this brewery, but it's a solid choice if you're in the area.

a few weekends ago i went to afriend's wedding where several craft beers were being served, but 3 Star's peppercorn saison ruled the roost.  seemed like that was all that anyone was drinking.  i don't think i had ever had it before.  glad to have had an evening of unlimited sampling, greatly enjoyed it.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6879 on: May 02, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »
didn't make it to aslin on the way back from charlottesville, however we did have dinner saturday night at the Pro Re Nata Brewery.  their BBA'ed imperial stout was awesome, the IPA was really good, the belgian pale was kinda forgettable, and the cherry bock was good for what is was supposed to be (sweet bocks really aren't my thing).  good place to bring kids, lots of room for them to run around.  i wouldn't make a trip down there just for this brewery, but it's a solid choice if you're in the area.

a few weekends ago i went to afriend's wedding where several craft beers were being served, but 3 Star's peppercorn saison ruled the roost.  seemed like that was all that anyone was drinking.  i don't think i had ever had it before.  glad to have had an evening of unlimited sampling, greatly enjoyed it.

Given the reason for your trip (if I'm recalling correctly), seemed like Champion would have been the fitting brewery to hit (assuming there was success???)...but it sounds like PRN is a definite must hit if we're down that way at some point...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6880 on: May 02, 2016, 02:35:17 pm »
* OFF-TOPIC ALERT*

Given the reason for your trip (if I'm recalling correctly), seemed like Champion would have been the fitting brewery to hit (assuming there was success???)

the missus competed in a triathlon.  she won her age group, so yeah Champion would have been perfect ;D

but it sounds like PRN is a definite must hit if we're down that way at some point...

it gets a thumbs-up from me.  nice layout, outdoor area with a fire pit, nice staff.  a decent cover band was playing 70's and 80's dance tunes when we were there on saturday night, they were entertaining but quite loud - we moved outside.  the food truck was tasty.  i would hit it again next time i'm in the area. 
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6881 on: May 02, 2016, 03:07:40 pm »
FWIW, there was only one female competitor age 45-49...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6882 on: May 02, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »
that's not her age group ;D
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #6883 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:52 am »
Just returned from an epic beer trip in Vermont, mostly for a bachelor party in Burlington but went up a night early to take advantage. Thursday we did some Heady hunting and got lunch at Three Penny Taproom, then made our way to Waterbury and drank a ton of great beers at Blackback before grabbing dinner at Prohibition Pig. Their in-house Bantam was incredible and a top 5 beer of the weekend.

Friday I got up early and got in line for a case of Heady at Sunflower (got to see the freshly painted truck which looks really cool) then made our way to Hill Farmstead. It wasn't crowded at HF at all which I was pleasantly surprised about but a lot of my buddies weren't too thrilled with what they had on tap (bear in mind a lot of the people I went with live in upstate NY and the bars there get guest kegs of HF all the time). Just standard offerings and they were only doing growler fills for Society & Solitude, which was a bummer. I bought a bottle of Sue to share among our group and that was really delicious. After purchasing a bunch of bottles at HF we made our way back down and grabbed lunch at Lost Nation (had an awesome sesame-crusted tuna sandwich) and then made our way to Burlington for two nights.

My buddy organized a brew tour once the whole bachelor party was in town (approximately 25 people) and got a private bus that took us to four (!) breweries. First stop was Fiddlehead and they had just sold out of Second Fiddle cans which was a huge dagger. Nonetheless, we shared a bunch of pizzas and kicked the keg of the remaining Second Fiddle. Between drinking the bottom of the barrel Second Fiddle and pairing up with Folino's outstanding pizza (the adjoining pizzeria), I was on cloud nine. So dank, so cloudy - it was Aslin-like.

Next stop was Burlington Beer Company which was a really cool spot. I bought a couple bottles of Strange Apparition, their barrel-aged coffee imperial stout and they were $14 a pop for 750mL bottles which was an incredible deal considering I spent $20 for a 500mL bottle of Genealogy of Morals at HF. The Strange Apparition was another Top 5 of the weekend.

Then we headed to Zero Gravity and hung our on their outdoor patio (ideal drinking weather) and briefly stopped at Queen City as it was literally across the street. After the tour, we made a pit stop at the hotel before taking some Ubers to Church Street where we had a bunch of food and beers at Farmhouse Tap & Grill. Saturday probably involved 12 hours of drinking at the very least.

It was a great time, and I was able to bring back a nice haul despite flying. Unfortunately a couple cans punctured in my suitcase due to a last minute packing job when my suitcase was a few pounds overweight and I hastily rearranged everything. Needless to say that suitcase REEKS of hops. Oh well. Good times.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:25:31 am by BrettnotBritt »

« Reply #6884 on: May 03, 2016, 11:48:33 am »
awesome scene report

... it was Aslin-like :)
slack