Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7110 on: July 06, 2016, 03:59:24 pm »
My kid wants to see the BFG this weekend and I see that it's showing less than two miles away from Aslin....hmmm
That movie was total false-advertising. That giant didn't butt-fuck a single person.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #7111 on: July 07, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
NC Porch Bomb.

walk,on,by

« Reply #7112 on: July 09, 2016, 11:02:56 am »
nice designs on some of those beers, and I like the backsplash. 

I went to a beer store, my favorite in my area, and just got a growler of hoptimum because he just tapped it, even though I wanted to get the Rodenbach grand cru, but at its price and fear my friends would hate it, it did not.  did pick up random seven of these as well, some just blind trying to hope for the best

1.  founders    redankulous   (ok to good but not mind blowing)
2.  stone   ruination (I think I may have had this before actually, but did see a mocha ipa from them as well which I passed on.)
3.  victory   kirsch gose  (excellent)
4.  dogfish head    flesh and blood ipa  (bought because I guess I trust dfh)
5.  victory    Berliner weisse  (never heard of this type of beer)
6.  dogfish head    festina peche  (bought for the label and I am pretty sure I had before and liked)
7.  sierra Nevada   otra vez  (not sure why I bought it)

Unsanity

« Reply #7113 on: July 11, 2016, 04:34:33 am »
I tried that Victory Berliner Weisse this weekend and still have some in my fridge. Very tart and tasty. Love that Kirsch Gose with a passion too. Victory makes good beers!

« Reply #7114 on: July 11, 2016, 11:05:51 am »
I tried that Victory Berliner Weisse this weekend and still have some in my fridge. Very tart and tasty. Love that Kirsch Gose with a passion too. Victory makes good beers!
Had the Berliner Weisse from Right Proper- Diamonds, Fur Coat, Champange at the Satilite Room before the GBV show and that was fantatic, wish the 9:30 had that on tap.

I love that Kirsch Gose, but at $12 a 4 pack...just too pricey for a low ABV beverage
I would probably have them more if it was a little more reasonably priced (sounding like space now)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7115 on: July 11, 2016, 11:48:51 am »
FW Luponic Distortion 002: meh.  might be the first FW beer that i'm less than impressed with.  maybe the sixer i got was mistreated on the way over here... i'm hoping this is the case, as i can't believe that FW could screw up a hoppy beer.  not that i'm going to risk my money on another 6 pack...

I love that Kirsch Gose, but at $12 a 4 pack...just too pricey for a low ABV beverage

for the same price, would you rather have a tasty sub-5% beer, or a mediocre 10% monster?

i'd rather be sipping on something light and tasty when dealing with summer heat...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7116 on: July 11, 2016, 12:04:44 pm »
FW Luponic Distortion 002: meh.  might be the first FW beer that i'm less than impressed with.  maybe the sixer i got was mistreated on the way over here... i'm hoping this is the case, as i can't believe that FW could screw up a hoppy beer.  not that i'm going to risk my money on another 6 pack...

for the same price, would you rather have a tasty sub-5% beer, or a mediocre 10% monster?

i'd rather be sipping on something light and tasty when dealing with summer heat...

I'm with Sweetcell on that one. Not about how drunk the beer can get me, it's about how much taste pleasure it can provide.

Kirsch Gose gets a Space Taste Rating (STR) of 8.1 (out of 10) for me, divided by 25 cents per ounce so the Space Taste Price Quotient (STPQ)  is a highly respectable 32.4.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7117 on: July 11, 2016, 12:07:04 pm »
Kirsch Gose gets a Space Taste Rating (STR) of 8.1 (out of 10) for me, divided by 25 cents per ounce so the Space Taste Price Quotient (STPQ)  is a highly respectable 32.4.
It's been a while since I dusted off this old chestnut, but: we are through the looking-glass here, people.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #7118 on: July 11, 2016, 12:22:12 pm »
I drank a De Garde Cherry Gose last week and then had the Victory and it blew the De Garde bottle out of the water.

Maybe my favorite new beer of the past year or two. My mouth is watering thinking about one now.

Space Freely

« Reply #7119 on: July 11, 2016, 12:28:27 pm »

I'm with Sweetcell on that one. Not about how drunk the beer can get me, it's about how much taste pleasure it can provide.

It's actually $10/four pack at Total Wine. That's 21 cents an ounce for an even better STPQ of 38.6. Even higher if you use the $1 off coupon.

« Reply #7120 on: July 11, 2016, 12:37:09 pm »

well, just I'm just a little more ok with paying for high ABV when there are typically more costs involved with production due to aging and higher grain/hop bill
Not necessarly how much 'bang for the buck'
I know I should be OK with the lower abv Gose/Weisse/sours since they do require a lot more deft hands to produce a quality product (and I assume there are costs I'm unaware of due to aging and fruit costs)

also, I had 4 of these on Father's day (my gift to me) and I could have easily had a few more.
as like you said, this is a great beer to keep drinking on hot days, but at that price I can't really stock the mini fridge with those (under my current fiscal constraints)

It's still cheaper than any  $10-18 bomber, by a long shot...so in retrospect there is some value there

I eagarly await the BA to add the STPQ to their ratings

lastly, I really enjoyed the Hardywood Peach Triple that I had this weekend

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7121 on: July 11, 2016, 04:04:24 pm »
i have nothing against wanting more alcoholic bang for the buck.  depending on the circumstances, a high ABV beer could be the desirable choice.  what i have a problem with is when ABV is the only criteria being used, ergo a low ABV beer is never desirable and high ABV beers are always preferable...

well, just I'm just a little more ok with paying for high ABV when there are typically more costs involved with production due to aging and higher grain/hop bill

aging adds significant cost to a beer's production cost, but grains and hops - especially grains - have less of an impact on cost than you might think. 

fixed costs make up most of the price of beer.  regardless of what beer you're brewing, most costs don't change:
- rent/lease/mortgage
- loans & interest
- staff salary and benefits
- insurance
- most taxes
- marketing
- non-production support staff
- bottling and packaging
- distribution
- etc...

i read recently that the fixed costs are often more than 80% of total cost... so doubling the cost of hops, which might be 5-10% of the total for some beers, isn't going to result in a huge increase in the overall cost.  i once asked a brewery owner why they didn't charge more for their hop-heavy big IPAs, vs. their light & almost hop-less blond ale, and he said that the extra 25-30 cents per pint he could charge wasn't worth the effort of having differently-priced beers (logistically easier for all beers to have the same price).

I know I should be OK with the lower abv Gose/Weisse/sours since they do require a lot more deft hands to produce a quality product (and I assume there are costs I'm unaware of due to aging and fruit costs)

gose and berliners are "quick-sour beers" - they are brewed without aging, and only add a day or two to the overall timeline (although they tie up a piece of equipment, typically the kettle, while the beer is being soured).  the additional cost of brewing a gose or BW is pretty minimal.  in my opinion, they also tend to be less interesting than a long-aged sours.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7122 on: July 11, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »
I've stumbled across Founders Mosaic Promise lately.  Quite pleased with this development.

Space Freely

« Reply #7123 on: July 11, 2016, 07:41:25 pm »
In Ohio/WV for work and noticed Lagunitas Sucks sixers on the shelves! We have to be getting these soon, right?! I love that beer with a passion.

Also, Columbus is an AMAZING beer city. Bodhi by CBC is a Top 5 beer for me, plus I got it on draft for $5! And that was right after a glass of Alpha King.

I'll be passing through Columbus on the way to Chicago in a few weeks. Hoping to grab all the usual suspects on that trip...Zombie Dust, White Rajah, Headhunter, may shoot up to Wisconsin and grab some New Glarus...may stop at Hoof Hearted and Seventh Son in Columbus and maybe hit he new Lagunitas Brewery in chicago...but perhaps the most exciting news of that trip is....

Columbus Brewing Co. announced that its award-winning double India pale ale, Bodhi, will be offered in bottles on July 16.

walk,on,by

« Reply #7124 on: July 11, 2016, 07:45:18 pm »
I've stumbled across Founders Mosaic Promise lately.  Quite pleased with this development.

Its, nice.