Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241439 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7440 on: October 05, 2016, 03:20:46 pm »
i have a car ride down to the outer banks in my near future, so i'll be driving 95 --> richmond --> norfolk --> OBX.

any worthwhile stops along the way?

Fair Winds in Lorton (10 minutes from my house!)
Mekong, The Answer, The Veil, Stone, Triple Crossing and Hardywood in Richmond
Alewerks in Williamsburg
Green Flash in VA Beach (opening November 13)

*There could be more beyond the Richmond point but I haven't been out that way for several years.
**There's also breweries in Fredericksburg and a couple more in Richmond, but I wouldn't bother.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:26:50 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #7441 on: October 05, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »
i have a car ride down to the outer banks in my near future, so i'll be driving 95 --> richmond --> norfolk --> OBX.

Alewerks in Williamsburg

*There could be more beyond the Richmond point but I haven't been out that way for several years.
**There's also breweries in Fredericksburg and a couple more in Richmond, but I wouldn't bother.

Since the reality of you actually stopping at 9 place is probably slim to none, I'd recommend the Richmond area and pick places where you can definitely get beers to go. Space to ounce ratio may vary.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7442 on: October 05, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »
Ok beer nerds. Which five from this list would you pick to enjoy with your partner in crime over a leisurely two hour dinner??? This was the beer list for the Smoke and Barrel Anniversary Party Tuesday. No cover charges, no sunglasses, but there was a wing-eating contest (?!). Of course, we went on Wednesday, when their were half priced drafts (but no wing-eating contest).

At some point, I'll post my five picks as well as reviews of the beers.

1. Victory Prima Pils
2. Port City Optimal Wit
3. RAR Nanticoke Nectar
4. Bold Rock Crimson Ridge Vat No. 1 Cider
5. DC Brau Oktoberfest
6. Firestone Helldorado
7. Ocelot Planets Align IPA
8. Ommegang Barrel-Aged 3 Philosophers
9. RAR/Hoof Hearted Hoof RARted Imperial IPA
10. Atlas Rowdier
11. Perennial Von Pampelmuse
12. Allagash Avance
13. Right Proper Kick Kick Snare
14. Wicked Weed Marina
15. Manor Hill Hidden Hopyard 5
16. Smuttynose Orville
17. Founders KBS
18. Fremont Bourbon Aboninable Winter Ale
19. Firestone Walker Krieky Bones
20. Logsdon Szech N? Brett
21. Otter Creek 25th Anniversary Imperial IPL
22. Fair Winds Masthead Mosaic
23. 3 Stars Two Headed Unicorn
24. 3 Stars Pounding Trees

3. RAR Nanticoke Nectar
14. Wicked Weed Marina
18. Fremont Bourbon Aboninable Winter Ale
19. Firestone Walker Krieky Bones
20. Logsdon Szech N? Brett

Space Freely

« Reply #7443 on: October 05, 2016, 04:00:34 pm »

Alewerks in Williamsburg

Since the reality of you actually stopping at 9 place is probably slim to none, I'd recommend the Richmond area and pick places where you can definitely get beers to go. Space to ounce ratio may vary.

I wasn't suggesting he stop at all 9, I was only pointing out the options, and then he could do the research to figure out what met his needs.

If I were picking one to-go stop on that list, it would be growler/crowler fills at the Answer. And take a short time to try some of the Andall concoctions and that aren't takeaway. Have a bahn mi sandwich if you're hungry. Casual and SPACEy enough for the little ones to wander around during off-peak hours if you have them with you as well.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7444 on: October 05, 2016, 04:21:17 pm »
thanks for the advice, spacey.

didn't realize that mekong/the answer, hardywood and the veil are essentially around the corner from each other.

i will be making this drive this weekend.

problem with hitting the answer is that i was hoping to stop in, have a drink then continue on home... with that list, i fear that i won't make it out in a state that i should be driving in.
<sig>

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7445 on: October 05, 2016, 06:58:46 pm »
avery  rumpkin

avery expletus

bells   third coast old ale

lagunitas   tuberfest

sierra Nevada   octoberfest

goose   experimental  08/16

dominion   hop lips

ninkasi    total domination ipa

vansmack

« Reply #7446 on: October 07, 2016, 07:22:15 pm »
Maui Brewing Company today. Let's see if the tour bests Coors.
Their coconut porter is decent.

Yep.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7447 on: October 10, 2016, 12:47:55 pm »
Ocelot wins a gold at GABF for their kellerbier, Lost Rhino get a silver for english IPA.
http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

Maui Brewing Company today. Let's see if the tour bests Coors.
Their coconut porter is decent.

the imperial version won a gold.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7448 on: October 13, 2016, 08:30:02 pm »
I know this has been covered previously, but: where does one go for good beer at Nats park?

I'm in section 114, if that's helpful... Found some Devil's Backbone space something pale ale: acceptable but would be interested in something else.
<sig>

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7449 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:28 pm »
Drink pbr . . . Spit it into the air and scream.  Isn't that what the kids are doing?

Space Freely

« Reply #7450 on: October 13, 2016, 08:45:10 pm »
I know this has been covered previously, but: where does one go for good beer at Nats park?

I'm in section 114, if that's helpful... Found some Devil's Backbone space something pale ale: acceptable but would be interested in something else.

AB Inbev completely took over the Red Porch, which used to be best.

On the upper deck there's a couple of District Drafts with local selections (Brau, 3 Stars, Port City, etc), nothing special though. There's one place that sells food on the upper deck with a Brau option....and bigger cups that District Draft....but don't recall the name.

Yada

« Reply #7451 on: October 14, 2016, 08:54:58 am »

The bud lights tasted amazing.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7452 on: October 14, 2016, 10:11:05 am »
Every beer has a time and place.  Bud Light might be perfect for a baseball game.  At Memorial Stadium.  In the bleachers.  Under the August sun.

Yada

« Reply #7453 on: October 14, 2016, 10:15:17 am »
Every beer has a time and place.  Bud Light might be perfect for a baseball game.  At Memorial Stadium.  In the bleachers.  Under the August sun.

Seeking out shitty craft beer in a stadium when there is an abundance of amazing macro beers at your fingertips seems like a waste of time, IMO.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7454 on: October 14, 2016, 11:27:47 am »
so the DB beer that i had was Space Fruit.  entirely acceptable.

in a fit of laziness i got a can of Goose Island IPA.  canned on: july 20.  WTF, ABI?!?!?!?!?  if you're going to take over a joint and serve 90% of the beer there, you should have a decent supply chain that can ensure fresh beer.  or at least reasonably fresh.  the beer was boring, bordering on bad.  that'll teach me to be a sloth. 

ended the night with an Atlas Rowdy, a highly-hopped rye beer - if it has a little less malt character, it would be a rye IPA.  i can see how it might not be for everybody as there are a lot of strong flavors bumping up against each other, but it worked for me.  it was a tie for me between the space fruit and rowdy.

saw some 3 Stars saison at a few "district brews" bars. likely would have been my next beer had i not run out of time, money, and irresponsibility.  i'm sure i'm much better off this morning for having cut myself off.
<sig>