Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241380 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7740 on: December 09, 2016, 04:23:38 pm »
in case this is relevant to anyone: WF foggy bottom is about to put BCBS and Abraxas on tap.  abraxas ~$35/growler, bcbs probably more.

i was hoping to get a growler of Boulevard's Simcoe Wet Hopped Harvest Ale, but the keg kicked while i was in line.  didn't have time to wait for the new stuff to come on, and they dind't have anything else i wanted a growler of (Old Tom was close, but not sure i need 64 oz of that) so i grabbed a very fresh sixer of The Truth.  haven't had that in a while.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #7741 on: December 09, 2016, 04:54:49 pm »
they're giving it away!

« Reply #7742 on: December 11, 2016, 03:34:29 pm »
Somehow I managed to find a laser tag place less than one mile from Ocelot this weekend
So, I got to fit in little daddy-daughter time and hit a brewpub I've been itching to go to
Didn't realize it was going to cost me close to $10 in tolls to get there
Changed the route on the way back and it only added 15 mins

Great venue but not the most kid friendly place, but they were at least 5 kids there around 1pm

the Hope IPA (hops for hope) was soo good I decided to get a growler to take with me home

I also enjoyed the Hourglass body (on nitro) and Capsized
Fuquette was an interesting colab (W the Answer) DIPA.  good, not great.
Wish I didn't drive ...as I was bummed I didn't try the Painless or Powers of Observation

wasn't that impressed with Foggy rather Groggy or Roller-coaster
they were good, but would have rather tried the darker offerings

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7743 on: December 11, 2016, 04:19:41 pm »
Somehow I managed to find a laser tag place less than one mile from Ocelot this weekend
So, I got to fit in little daddy-daughter time and hit a brewpub I've been itching to go to
Didn't realize it was going to cost me close to $10 in tolls to get there
Changed the route on the way back and it only added 15 mins

Great venue but not the most kid friendly place, but they were at least 5 kids there around 1pm

the Hope IPA (hops for hope) was soo good I decided to get a growler to take with me home

I also enjoyed the Hourglass body (on nitro) and Capsized
Fuquette was an interesting colab (W the Answer) DIPA.  good, not great.
Wish I didn't drive ...as I was bummed I didn't try the Painless or Powers of Observation

wasn't that impressed with Foggy rather Groggy or Roller-coaster
they were good, but would have rather tried the darker offerings

Really? My daughter actually loves Ocelot and hates Aslin. "Ocelot has more space, and sells Doritos."

My question is, how is the laser tag place? Worth the money?

« Reply #7744 on: December 11, 2016, 04:35:07 pm »

Really? My daughter actually loves Ocelot and hates Aslin. "Ocelot has more space, and sells Doritos."

well compared to aslin this place is Disney world
but that's a low bar.  Way more space and nice deck when temps are good
Things that make it kid friendly....lots of room, food, outdoor space and games
Wardecca is in the lead for most kid friendly DMV brewery

Laser tag...well if you get there by 10-11:30am on weekends...kids games are $5
single kid or adult rest of the time is $10 a game (3 game pass for $20 is the deal)
they did have this feature called Laser frenzy which is very mission impossible where you have to avoid hitting the lasers...but of course it was broken :( and was one of the main reasons we went ($3 per game for that)

I have only been to a few LaserTag places, but this had two levels and a pretty big area I though it was good
but pretty standard
I've yet to do it where we go with 20 people and really play against each other

What annoys me the most is the have barley any real video games and mostly those games with the arm to pick a prize and basicly spend $10 to get a 25 cent rubber ducky

slack

« Reply #7745 on: December 11, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »
got a 10oz of the BCBS at Whole Foods Pst

it was good, but a little 'hot' with alcohol
would love to know what it tastes like aged for a year or two
slack

Unsanity

« Reply #7746 on: December 12, 2016, 03:37:15 am »

well compared to aslin this place is Disney world
but that's a low bar.  Way more space and nice deck when temps are good
Things that make it kid friendly....lots of room, food, outdoor space and games
Wardecca is in the lead for most kid friendly DMV brewery

Laser tag...well if you get there by 10-11:30am on weekends...kids games are $5
single kid or adult rest of the time is $10 a game (3 game pass for $20 is the deal)
they did have this feature called Laser frenzy which is very mission impossible where you have to avoid hitting the lasers...but of course it was broken :( and was one of the main reasons we went ($3 per game for that)

I have only been to a few LaserTag places, but this had two levels and a pretty big area I though it was good
but pretty standard
I've yet to do it where we go with 20 people and really play against each other

What annoys me the most is the have barley any real video games and mostly those games with the arm to pick a prize and basicly spend $10 to get a 25 cent rubber ducky

I went to that laser tag place once for a friend's birthday. I did very poorly and found out how out of shape I was haha. Those little kids owned me! Also of note is the Kabob place next to the laser tag place. Its called Dulles Kabob and I found it highly enjoyable.

« Reply #7747 on: December 13, 2016, 12:01:07 am »
ohh myy...aslin going with the bottle releases this month
slack

hutch

« Reply #7748 on: December 13, 2016, 12:20:06 am »
I swear the way you guys go on about Aslin when I finally drink one I'm going to expect an orgasm...

Space Freely

« Reply #7749 on: December 13, 2016, 09:27:41 am »
I swear the way you guys go on about Aslin when I finally drink one I'm going to expect an orgasm...

I think you'll go on about their ridiculously high prices.

fatskippy

« Reply #7750 on: December 13, 2016, 11:24:54 am »
750ml bottles for IPAs? meh

Yada

« Reply #7751 on: December 13, 2016, 12:03:33 pm »

I think you'll go on about their ridiculously high prices.

Cheaper than trillium when they used that  format.

shemptiness

« Reply #7752 on: December 13, 2016, 12:10:12 pm »
What's the consensus on tipping for growler fills?  If I'm paying $16-$17 for a 64 oz fill and maybe grab a pint while I'm there - tip on the pint and maybe a buck or 2 for the fill?

Space Freely

« Reply #7753 on: December 13, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »
What's the consensus on tipping for growler fills?  If I'm paying $16-$17 for a 64 oz fill and maybe grab a pint while I'm there - tip on the pint and maybe a buck or 2 for the fill?

Yes, tip for the pint.

Do you tip when you get carry-out food from a restaurant? And if so, what percentage? There's your answer to the growler question.

shemptiness

« Reply #7754 on: December 13, 2016, 12:30:58 pm »

Yes, tip for the pint.

Do you tip when you get carry-out food from a restaurant? And if so, what percentage? There's your answer to the growler question.

I don't, but leave feeling like I should have.  Catholic guilt, perhaps.