Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241405 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7800 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:28 am »
That's a nice list Yada, but have you tried this one?

Boatswain Double IPA Twin Screw Steamer 8.4% abv

It gets a 64(poor) on Beer Advocate, but you can't really trust Beer Advocate, can you? Just change one letter and "poor" becomes "pour!"

originally posted by yada:

Without further ado...

Top 30 beers that I tried for the first time in 2016 in no particular order

Hops
1.   Tree House (Green, Julius, JJJulius, Juice Machine, Haze, Alter Ego)
2.   Trillium (too many to name)
3.   Veil (too many to name)
4.   Aslin (too many to name)
5.   Sloop - Citra Bomb
6.   Even Mo Mofo - Sand City Brewing Co
7.   General Braddock's IPA - Brew Gentlemen
8.   Peach Punch (You In the Eye) - Block 15 Brewing Company
9.   Ghost In The Machine - Parish Brewing Co.

Sours
1.   De Garde ? Too many to name
2.   Oude Geuze (2015)
3.   Framboise de Amorosa - The Lost Abbey
4.   Never Never Again Again - The Veil Brewing Co.
5.   Alexander (2016) - Brouwerij Rodenbach
6.   Tart Cherry Petite Sour - Crooked Stave
7.   Farm To Face (2016) - Allagash Brewing Company
8.   Grand Cru Bruocsella Lambic Bio (2011) - Brasserie Cantillon
9.   Central Valley Breakfast Sour - High Water Brewing
10.   Garçon de Ferme - Wicked Weed Brewing
11.   Cask Strawberry (Batch 1) - Sante Adairius Rustic Ales
12.   Saint Lamvinus (2014) - Brasserie Cantillon
13.   Snozzberry - Green Man Brewery (NC)
14.   Map of the Sun (Batch 2) - The Rare Barrel
15.   Raspberry Soak - Trillium Brewing Company
16.   Ad Idem - The Lost Abbey/Wicked Weed

Stouts
1.   Kelci Gryphon(Andall) by The Answer at The Answer Brewpub
2.   Double Barrel Hunahpu's by Cigar City Brewing
3.   Rare Scooop by Cycle Brewing Company
4.   Cassian Sunset (2016) by Central Waters Brewing Company
5.   Expedition Stout (Bourbon Barrel Aged) by Bell's Brewery

Yada

« Reply #7801 on: January 04, 2017, 11:18:02 am »
I have not tried that beer... Am I missing something? Have you tried it? Does it live up to the poor?

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7802 on: January 04, 2017, 11:25:00 am »
My best beers of the year, in no particular order, would be:

AleSmith Speedway Stout Vietnamese Coffee
AleSmith Speedway Stout Hawaiian
Aslin Master of Karate
Aslin Double Orange Starfish
Aslin Johann the Mango Thief
Brouwerij Rodenbach Alexander
Bruery Mocha Wednesday
Burlington Beer Co Strange Apparition
Cigar City Double Barrel Hunahpu's
de Garde Beaucoup Berry Bu
Dugges/Stillwater Tropic Punch
Equilibirum Photon
Fiddlehead Second Fiddle
Fremont Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star Spice Wars '14
Goose Island BCBS Rare '15
Goose Island Gillian
Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Oil of Aphrodite
Lost Abbey Vertias 016
Lost Abbey Track #10 Bat Out of Hell
Lost Abbey Ad Idem
Ocelot Talking Backwards
Oskar Blues Barrel Aged Ten FIDY
Prohibition Pig Bantam
Rare Barrel Forces Unseen
Treehouse Green
Treehouse Haze
Treehouse Double Shot
Trillium Vicinity
Trillium DDH Scaled
Trillium Scaled Up
Trillium Heavy Mettle
Trillium Cutting Tiles
Trillium DDH Fort Point
Veil We Ded Mon
Wicked Weed Old Fashioned
Wicked Weed Cherry Go Lightly

Space Freely

« Reply #7803 on: January 04, 2017, 11:29:16 am »
I have not tried that beer... Am I missing something? Have you tried it? Does it live up to the poor?

I have not had the pleasure, but I'm still hoping Hutch will give his more detailed review:

Htuch:
I think the first one gave me a pounding headache.. I'll report back after I've had a few more (if they don't kill me)...

Yada

« Reply #7804 on: January 04, 2017, 11:38:40 am »

I have not had the pleasure, but I'm still hoping Hutch will give his more detailed review:

Htuch:
I think the first one gave me a pounding headache.. I'll report back after I've had a few more (if they don't kill me)...

hahah... missed hutch's post!! hahaha

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7805 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:57 am »
My best beers of the year, in no particular order, would be:

AleSmith Speedway Stout Vietnamese Coffee
AleSmith Speedway Stout Hawaiian
Aslin Master of Karate
Aslin Double Orange Starfish
Aslin Johann the Mango Thief
Brouwerij Rodenbach Alexander
Bruery Mocha Wednesday
Burlington Beer Co Strange Apparition
Cigar City Double Barrel Hunahpu's
de Garde Beaucoup Berry Bu
Dugges/Stillwater Tropic Punch
Equilibirum Photon
Fiddlehead Second Fiddle
Fremont Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star Spice Wars '14
Goose Island BCBS Rare '15
Goose Island Gillian
Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Oil of Aphrodite
Lost Abbey Vertias 016
Lost Abbey Track #10 Bat Out of Hell
Lost Abbey Ad Idem
Ocelot Talking Backwards
Oskar Blues Barrel Aged Ten FIDY
Prohibition Pig Bantam
Rare Barrel Forces Unseen
Treehouse Green
Treehouse Haze
Treehouse Double Shot
Trillium Vicinity
Trillium DDH Scaled
Trillium Scaled Up
Trillium Heavy Mettle
Trillium Cutting Tiles
Trillium DDH Fort Point
Veil We Ded Mon
Wicked Weed Old Fashioned
Wicked Weed Cherry Go Lightly

This seems to be in alphabetical order.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7806 on: January 04, 2017, 11:52:54 am »

This seems to be in alphabetical order.

;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7807 on: January 04, 2017, 01:17:11 pm »
2.   Oude Geuze (2015)

you're gonna hafta be more specific. many lambic makers have an "oude gueuze"...

viewed another way: oude gueuze is a style, not a brand ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7808 on: January 04, 2017, 01:23:59 pm »

Htuch:

Trader Joe's has some really good value beers.  for a while their house "mission street" IPA was made by firestone walker (now by Uinta, i believe).  they often have decently-priced belgians and it's consistently the cheapest place to get Hardywood.

however, the entire Boatswain line should be avoided.  nothing with that name on it is worth drinking, even at that price.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #7809 on: January 04, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »

Htuch:

Trader Joe's has some really good value beers.  for a while their house "mission street" IPA was made by firestone walker (now by Uinta, i believe).  they often have decently-priced belgians and it's consistently the cheapest place to get Hardywood.

however, the entire Boatswain line should be avoided.  nothing with that name on it is worth drinking, even at that price.

yeah.. they were horrible.. i took six to a house party and dropped them off anonymously under a table...along with some miller lite...

new year..but the quest continues

Yada

« Reply #7810 on: January 04, 2017, 02:22:29 pm »
2.   Oude Geuze (2015)

you're gonna hafta be more specific. many lambic makers have an "oude gueuze"...

viewed another way: oude gueuze is a style, not a brand ;D

come on man!

Drie Fonteinen

Space Freely

« Reply #7811 on: January 04, 2017, 03:11:39 pm »

Htuch:

yeah.. they were horrible.. i took six to a house party and dropped them off anonymously under a table...along with some miller lite...

We had a New Year's Eve party where we asked guests to bring their "favorite Belgian ale". That netted me a six pack of Blue Moon and a 12 pack of Stella (not an ale!)....all of which went home with my brother...the Blue Moon for my mom and the Stella for my sister-in-law. I did learn that I like Stella more than Blue Moon, though I'd be fine with never drinking either ever again.

Yada

« Reply #7812 on: January 04, 2017, 05:22:57 pm »

Htuch:

We had a New Year's Eve party where we asked guests to bring their "favorite Belgian ale". That netted me a six pack of Blue Moon and a 12 pack of Stella (not an ale!)....all of which went home with my brother...the Blue Moon for my mom and the Stella for my sister-in-law. I did learn that I like Stella more than Blue Moon, though I'd be fine with never drinking either ever again.

I find Stella to be very drinkable... to be honest, if someone asked me to bring my favorite Belgian Ale to a party, I'd have no idea where to begin.

Space Freely

« Reply #7813 on: January 04, 2017, 05:35:33 pm »

Htuch:

I find Stella to be very drinkable... to be honest, if someone asked me to bring my favorite Belgian Ale to a party, I'd have no idea where to begin.

"Drinkable" is exactly the word my sister-in-law used to describe Stella. I agree. Though if I were going to drink a lager, I'd choose Devil's Backbone over Stella 10 times out of 10.

It wasn't a bottle share, so it wasn't a contest to bring anything rare, but Stella and Blue Moon? That's not even making an effort!

If I had no idea, I'd go to Total Wine or Whole Foods and grab a hodgepodge of the usual suspects...stuff by St. Bernardus, Rochefort, Rodenbach, Duvel, maybe even Leffe or Hoegarden (if I were in a budget mood) or perhaps the American versions (Ommegang, Allagash, New Belgium, etc).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:37:26 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #7814 on: January 04, 2017, 05:43:36 pm »
lol