Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

walkie,talkie

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7905 on: February 11, 2017, 02:34:37 pm »
Re,release of Hopslam, bitches.

« Reply #7906 on: February 11, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »
not impressed by Stone Enjoy By 2.14.17 Chocolate & Coffee IPA

had some more of that Stillwater Nu-Tropic on draft...now that is the bomb
slack

hutch

« Reply #7907 on: February 11, 2017, 04:14:04 pm »
not impressed by By 2.14.17 Chocolate & Coffee IPA

Is this the new Henry Rollins beer line?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7908 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:01 pm »
http://www.bonappetit.com/story/dry-january-stats

How much weight you can lose and how much money you can save by quitting beer for a month.

hutch

« Reply #7909 on: February 12, 2017, 02:40:23 pm »
http://www.bonappetit.com/story/dry-january-stats

How much weight you can lose and how much money you can save by quitting beer for a month.

I don't want to know!  ;D

« Reply #7910 on: February 12, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »
I don't want to know!  ;D
I know
I pretend not to know, that I know
slack

Yada

« Reply #7911 on: February 13, 2017, 09:49:52 am »

Can't say I'm surprised... who woulda thunk that an IPA and coffee/chocolate would go well together?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7912 on: February 13, 2017, 12:40:55 pm »

Can't say I'm surprised... who woulda thunk that an IPA and coffee/chocolate would go well together?

i've stopped pre-judging beers based on what i think they'll taste like, without tasting them.  sure, hops + coffee + chocolate sounds weird, but who knows what the final product will taste like.

i once thought that IPA + hot peppers/chilies would be awful.  the first spicy IPA i ever had wasn't good.  had one this summer that was pretty tasty, last week i had a homebrewed habanero IPA that was kick-ass.

cucumber beer sounds weird, but i've had cucumber saisons and cuke berliners that have blown my mind.

etc...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7913 on: February 13, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
The first coffee IPA I had was at the Tired Hands Café a couple of years ago, and it was actually fantastic. Maybe the chocolate addition carries things too far. Or maybe Tired Hands is better than Stone at this time.

We were in RVA recently, and though I've always been a Stone fanboy, I wouldn't even put them in the top three breweries in the city.

Yada

« Reply #7914 on: February 13, 2017, 04:10:52 pm »

i've stopped pre-judging beers based on what i think they'll taste like, without tasting them.  sure, hops + coffee + chocolate sounds weird, but who knows what the final product will taste like.

i once thought that IPA + hot peppers/chilies would be awful.  the first spicy IPA i ever had wasn't good.  had one this summer that was pretty tasty, last week i had a homebrewed habanero IPA that was kick-ass.

cucumber beer sounds weird, but i've had cucumber saisons and cuke berliners that have blown my mind.

etc...

I agree in some scenarios and your latter example is perfect. I'd try a cucumber berliner/saison in a heartbeat. I have had this beer a few times and it failed to impress me.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30581/94325/

In regards to coffee/chocolate flavors, I can say with confidence I wouldn't like that style. One, I have a certain expectation of an IPA if/when I have one. I haven't been a fan of any spicy IPA i have had (I do like spicy stouts nor do I really like fruited IPAs unless they're fruity due to the hops vs. being blasted with a specific fruit). Two, anything with a coffee/chocolate flavor I have an expectation in terms of mouth feel. Even stouts/porters that are more on the light side I have a hard time enjoying, just a personal preference!

hutch

« Reply #7915 on: February 13, 2017, 04:22:12 pm »
bystander

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

hutch

« Reply #7917 on: February 13, 2017, 04:26:37 pm »
no no NO.. I meant I was a bystander in this thread.. I have no idea about cucumber beer..sorry

« Reply #7918 on: February 13, 2017, 11:32:17 pm »
I 've always been a Stone fanboy, I wouldn't even put them in the top three breweries in the city.
Kind of blows your mind, but I  concur with that
slack

Yada

« Reply #7919 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »
http://www.popville.com/2017/02/meridian-pint-brookland-pint-smoke-barrel-closing-kitchens-thursday-in-solidarity-with-immigrant-staff/

Also, I can't remember the last Stone beer I enjoyed, maybe their IPAs in the maltbomb IPA days of yesteryear? What is fanboy worthy in modern beer drinking days?