Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241895 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10050 on: December 16, 2020, 09:39:21 am »
I am shocked at how far space drives to get beer, especially since I thought his fridge was overflowing with the best of the best and he only drinks one can a day?

Do we have to factor mileage in to the space value pre oz calculations
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10051 on: December 16, 2020, 10:01:34 am »
I am shocked at how far space drives to get beer, especially since I thought his fridge was overflowing with the best of the best and he only drinks one can a day?

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm not really "cheap" when it comes to buying beer. If i were, I'd be drinking Celebration by the case like my brother, Stella by the case like my co-worker, or Yuengling by the case like Hutch.

I never buy more than a four pack of any beer, I just like to try as many as possible. So two (different) four packs a week.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10052 on: December 16, 2020, 10:03:42 am »
from Sapwood's FB:

Our last can release of the year is this Saturday, so we wanted to make it special! We'll have the "Max" version of Snip Snap (9.3% ABV with extra hops in the kettle and dry hop). We'll also have Cheater Hops #15 a 7.1% IPA with Strata, Simcoe, and Mosaic! Pre-sales for the Snip Snap Max/Cheater Hops #15 Can Release will start Friday afternoon.

Just has Cheater #14 last week. Regular Snip Snap is delish. Very tempting but I don’t really need more cans at the moment.

Yada

« Reply #10053 on: December 16, 2020, 10:04:42 am »
Sidefoam didn't even know the biggest brewery opening on the east coast happened a few miles from his house, I doubt he's following the nuances of where different cans of haze from different locations of said brewery are being shipped*

*I doubt anyone is doing that except you space.

Maybe not anyone else on this board, but i think you vastly underestimate the beer geekiness of some people in the DMV.

I'm just aware of said fact because though they are owned by the same people, DTC gets a much more interesting and wider array of beer than Dominion. Other than those two stores, I don't follow the DMV beer distribution details.

I was referring to people following which other half location the haze is coming from.

Yada

« Reply #10054 on: December 16, 2020, 10:05:37 am »

I think that was taken into account in the original space cost ratio circa 2016.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10055 on: December 16, 2020, 10:08:45 am »
So OH DC is considered inferior to NY? Where can one read about this? BA?

Space Freely

« Reply #10056 on: December 16, 2020, 10:11:47 am »
Sidefoam didn't even know the biggest brewery opening on the east coast happened a few miles from his house, I doubt he's following the nuances of where different cans of haze from different locations of said brewery are being shipped*

Maybe not anyone else on this board, but i think you vastly underestimate the beer geekiness of some people in the DMV.

I'm just aware of said fact because though they are owned by the same people, DTC gets a much more interesting and wider array of beer than Dominion. Other than those two stores, I don't follow the DMV beer distribution details.

I was referring to people following which other half location the haze is coming from.

Both DTC and Dominion note in their Facebook posts which brewery the drop is coming from.

People on Beer Advocate forums seem to be complaining about the crappiness of the OHDC beer (you yourself did!), so if the store is posting where the beer is coming from, I'd assume their FB users would be taking note. And if they're picky, avoiding the "crappy" DC stuff.

Space Freely

« Reply #10057 on: December 16, 2020, 10:13:55 am »

This is a post by Brennser , who used to grace us with his presence on this board, on the BA Forum:

I realize it can be awkward when brewery folks are on a thread and honestly in the grand scheme of things my opinion doesn't matter......

......but I've not been impressed so far having had about 6-8 of their beers so far. The loaded baked potato was undrinkable and an instant drain pour and several others have been way too oniony on the nose for my liking. Regardless of the name and hype the reality is they have to dial it in like anyone else and I look forward to seeing what they do over the next 12 months and hopefully hanging out more at the brewery

Yada

« Reply #10058 on: December 16, 2020, 10:17:31 am »

Both DTC and Dominion note in their Facebook posts which brewery the drop is coming from.

People on Beer Advocate forums seem to be complaining about the crappiness of the OHDC beer (you yourself did!), so if the store is posting where the beer is coming from, I'd assume their FB users would be taking note. And if they're picky, avoiding the "crappy" DC stuff.

I have not complained about OHDC beer as I've not had any.

Space Freely

« Reply #10059 on: December 16, 2020, 10:30:49 am »

I have not complained about OHDC beer as I've not had any.

Sorry, I recalled you using the word "crappy" but looks like it was in reference to sales, not quality.

I think a combination of multiple factors... They're still getting NYC beer shipped down here + from what I can tell, OHDC sales appear to be crappy and they're sending their beer north + other stores starting to also have other half cans which takes away the lure of needing to get DTC + how much haze can one consume.

brennser

« Reply #10060 on: December 16, 2020, 04:52:34 pm »
I'm still here everyone  8)

And still unimpressed w OHDC but also unimpressed w vast majority of IPAs these days - a buddy in CA keeps sending me Monkish and Fieldwork and most of them are crap

HF on the other hand.......sublime

This is a post by Brennser , who used to grace us with his presence on this board, on the BA Forum:

I realize it can be awkward when brewery folks are on a thread and honestly in the grand scheme of things my opinion doesn't matter......

......but I've not been impressed so far having had about 6-8 of their beers so far. The loaded baked potato was undrinkable and an instant drain pour and several others have been way too oniony on the nose for my liking. Regardless of the name and hype the reality is they have to dial it in like anyone else and I look forward to seeing what they do over the next 12 months and hopefully hanging out more at the brewery

« Reply #10061 on: December 16, 2020, 04:58:12 pm »
HF on the other hand.......sublime

what is HF?
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10062 on: December 16, 2020, 05:00:44 pm »
Hill Farmstead

Space Freely

« Reply #10063 on: December 16, 2020, 05:09:53 pm »
Hey Brennser! Hope you're well.

My Other Half fanboy status has sort of died since tasting my first Tree House in August. I'm not sure what I going to do once the Tree House runs out. Even at four months old what i have left tastes better than fresh Other Half.

I can't argue against Hill Farmstead. Aside from maybe having it on draft a few years ago io a visit to NYC, I haven't had any for a good 10  years. :( Was Churchkey getting any of their hoppy stuff before the pandemic, or just the (great) saisons?

brennser

« Reply #10064 on: December 16, 2020, 05:13:53 pm »
Hey Space

I'm good - and hope you are yours are too.

TH is great but even some TH beers I've had this year have not rocked my world. Some have been excellent though. From March until about June I thought the OH drops at DTC were mostly killer but either my palate became jaded or something else happened.

I've been fortunate to access a lot of different canned HF IPAs this year and they are simply heaven in a glass. Shaun really is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of brewing - its just a pity its 10 hours away w the last 30 mins on dirt roads. Kinda surprised VT has not been a destination for one of the Freely families beer / hiking trips.

Happy Holidays all