Author Topic: need to find Black Cat type bar for this Saturday  (Read 4592 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: need to find Black Cat type bar for this Saturday
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 12:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  suburbanite alert

Your system is faulty. Your "Richmonder Radar" should have went off, not your suburbanite alert.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
Aren't you a suburbanite Rhett?

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
Hell yeah. I wasn't being disparaging, just truthful.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Aren't you a suburbanite Rhett?

samsfresh5

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 01:13:00 pm »
Yeah, Saint Ex, DC9, Velvet and BC Red Room are great, but there's unfortunately not alot of other options aside from those. But to add, Staccato in Adams Morgan is usually cool, as you can sit upstairs and talk and hear the music from a balcony while playing connect four  :)

If you don't mind metro-ing it to Arlington, there are two good bands playing at Rhodeside Grill Saturday night.  You can play pool & fooseball, and are able to get back by the bar and talk where you can hear each other and have the band as background music. Even though it's not in DC, it's still pretty "hip" and not way out in the burbs or anything.  There's also an upstairs that is a nice bar/restaurant.  Here's the info for that:

http://www.rhodesidegrill.com/

Saturday
 8/28/04 Rhodeside Grill
 Honeychuck  http://www.honeychuck.com
 with Motive (formerly MP2) http://mp2music.com/
 Arlington, VA  10pm
 21+, $5

Oh yeah, I'm biased about the bands being good, though, because I'm in one of them.  So, you may not want to take my word for that.    :D

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 02:40:00 pm »
How about The Big Hunt?  Not as hip as the other suggestions, but they have 2 decent jukeboxes and lots of beers to choose from.  Half a block to the Metro.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »
I love the Big Hunt.  Get there about 8, so that when they open the doors to the second room you can get in fast and grab a good table while loading up the jukebox.  My fave jukebox in town, just 'cuz I've had such good times there (and it's *very* Bags friendly)....

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2004, 05:59:00 am »
DC9 is good and usually not oppressively crowded... St Ex is nice in concept but is much too trendoid-infested.
_\|/_

Captain Jack

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2004, 10:06:00 pm »
The place to check out is Tonic on Mt. Pleasent St. Great jukebox, nice lower level bar, good food upstaris.

Tonic.

check it out.

Better jukebox than Black Cat.

Driveway

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 10:46:00 am »
Iota is pretty cool to have out at...  Great service and a slightly upscale, but not too upscale atomosphere.

and the Galaxy Hut isn't too bad, but be prepared to deal with the indier than thour snotage.  One of the bar tenders there is a prick, when he didn't get tipped once, after many consecutive tippings, he felt inclined to tell my friend that he doesn't make commissions off of beer sales.  I haven't been back sense, but I have seen some pretty sweet and FREE shows there.