Author Topic: need to find Black Cat type bar for this Saturday  (Read 4593 times)

lilbitoasis

need to find Black Cat type bar for this Saturday
« on: August 24, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
I've been searching endlessly for a place to go to this saturday for my friends bday.  Does anyone have any suggestions for any places in DC or metro md/va?  Looking for a place playing music like Local 16 during the week or Black Cat's bar.  I'm starting to believe another place doesnt exist!

xcanuck

Re: need to find Black Cat type bar for this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:22:00 am »
what about the velvet lounge? great atmosphere and usually decent local bands.

Random Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 11:25:00 am »
What's wrong with just hanging out in the Red Room?

Maybe DC9 or St. Ex?

lilbitoasis

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
I was thinking that in the back of my head, but ive never been.  Is there a place to go w/o paying the cover?  He doesnt so much want to see the band as much as just hearing it in the background so we can all talk, you know?

TomJaworski

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
You don't have to pay to enter the downstairs bar at either the Velvet or DC9.  The Pharmacy Bar in Adams Morgan has an incredible jukebox.

lilbitoasis

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
I go to the Red Room at Black Cat all the time so I was just hoping to switch it up a little, thats the backup plan though.  What is St Ex like on Saturday?  They say they always have DJ's spinning but they dont do a lot to tell you what kind of music.  Whats DC9 like?

Random Citizen

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by lilbitoasis:
  I was thinking that in the back of my head, but ive never been.  Is there a place to go w/o paying the cover?  He doesnt so much want to see the band as much as just hearing it in the background so we can all talk, you know?
Oh no. Don't be one of those people who go to a show to talk. Don't do it. Just chill on a sofa in the Red Room and dump money into the jukebox. Especially not this Saturday when Bad Wizard are playing!

lilbitoasis

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
Haha no i wasnt planning on talking over a band!  Jukeboxes are fine, I just dont wanna have to dump all my $ into it to prevent other people from playing crap songs all night though (why i like the Red Room).

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 11:41:00 am »
DC9 is where I'd go. Good drink selection, nice downstairs for sitting around, and no cover.

Dandy01

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 11:41:00 am »
I go to St. Ex to "switch it up" and always have a good time, the rotation of DJs keeps it fresh and they all play a variety from britpop to funk to old school..  And there's no cover, and you also have the choice of two bars, although downstairs is my preference since it's the club area.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
DC9 (upstairs or down, which is cool -- upstairs louder DJ music, but pretty cool alternative stuff, and downstairs is more mellow, straightforward bar; cool thing is you can do both depending on your vibe or if the energy changes during the evening)

St. Ex (if you want the DJ scene, but on a saturday it can be really crowded downstairs)

Pharmacy Bar (has a great feel & vibe, really good jukebox, great bartenders -- feels like a bar on the Lower East Side...).

SalParadise

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
unless you're into hip-hop, you probably don't want to do st.-ex this saturday (no disrespect to dave. he's a great dj.)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but where is St. Ex? I tried a web search but "st. ex dc" doesn't exactly produce a plethora of quality results.

Random Citizen

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by elj:
  Pardon my ignorance, but where is St. Ex? I tried a web search but "st. ex dc" doesn't exactly produce a plethora of quality results.
Café Saint-Ex

It's up the street from the Black Cat, at 14th and T.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »
suburbanite alert

Originally posted by elj: