Author Topic: Okkervil River Roll Call  (Read 3235 times)

twangirl

Re: Okkervil River Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 04:13:00 pm »
I get the Crooked Fingers reference, but the band they reminded me of the most was Grant Lee Buffalo.
 I saw Okkervil River a couple of years ago at SXSW because I had read something that led me to believe they might be a little like 16 Horsepower. I was really disappointed by the show, not because I had high expectations but because the venue was terrible, the band sound was bad, and they were obviously  not playing well that gig. It was clear there was something there, but they just weren't able to put it across that show. So I felt I really owed them a second chance. I really enjoyed the Iota show and look forward to seeing them again.

On the other hand, I really disliked Man Man. The bangin' on things percussive approach was cool, but was vastly outweighed for me by the falsetto vocals interludes.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 06:56:00 pm »
Apparently, I'm one of the few that really liked Man Man. Thoroughly enjoyed their entire set of chanting, drumming, organs, accordian, soul-singing etc. And Okkervil River were very strong. I can't say I was as moved as the people around me. (Good God. Judging by the crowd's reaction, you would think they were the most incredible, life-changing band on the planet.) But I did appreciate their tight sound and passion. And they all seemed to be having a good time as well. Pretty impressive turnout for a Monday night. It must have been sold out.
 Oh and I thought Charles Bissell's solo set was highly disappointing.

Sage 703

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Apparently, I'm one of the few that really liked Man Man. Thoroughly enjoyed their entire set of chanting, drumming, organs, accordian, soul-singing etc. And Okkervil River were very strong. I can't say I was as moved as the people around me. (Good God. Judging by the crowd's reaction, you would think they were the most incredible, life-changing band on the planet.) But I did appreciate their tight sound and passion. And they all seemed to be having a good time as well. Pretty impressive turnout for a Monday night. It must have been sold out.
 Oh and I thought Charles Bissell's solo set was highly disappointing.
I agree - I thought Man Man was fairly charming.  It wore on a bit long, but I enjoyed it.  And I also thought Charles Bissell was disappointing.