Author Topic: Okkervil River Roll Call  (Read 3233 times)

amnesiac

Okkervil River Roll Call
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:13:00 am »
Anyone going to Iota tonight? Think it'll sell out?

kcjones119

Re: Okkervil River Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:44:00 am »
did not have luck when i tried to get into Kings of Convenience last time at Iota, hope to get in tonight.

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
I'd be pretty shocked if this sold out. Okkervil River doesn't seem to have the name recognition of Kings of Convenience. Maybe I'm just hopeful because I'm planning on going.
oword

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I'd be pretty shocked if this sold out. Okkervil River doesn't seem to have the name recognition of Kings of Convenience. Maybe I'm just hopeful because I'm planning on going.
yeah but now they have a shiny pitchfork stamp of appoval

they didnt sell out common grounds last year, or was it the year before?

ttuamy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 02:34:00 pm »
i'm thinking about going but i'm going to see charles bissell

amnesiac

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by prtybby:
  i'm thinking about going but i'm going to see charles bissell
I definitely wanna see him too. Has anyone seen him solo? Does he play Wrens songs?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
I'm going. It's time for me to finally experience the weirdness of Man Man.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:01:00 am »
Man Man wasn't very weird. Just lame. I was suprised by Okkervil...pretty energetic set. Charles was awesome.

jude376

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 10:54:00 am »
Okkervil River totally rocked my socks off. And you gotta admire a drummer that goes on with the show despite a fractured wrist!

amnesiac

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
Wow...that was an awesome show. Okkervil River were just plain amazing. I missed Charles, but it was pretty cool to hear Okkervil cover "Ex-Girl Collection", and then go right into "For Real", which has to be one of the best songs this year...

Sage 703

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
i thought Man Man was entertaining.

But Okkervil bored me.  They sort of come across as a less good Crooked Fingers.  But I really, really like Crooked Fingers.

amnesiac

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  But Okkervil bored me.  They sort of come across as a less good Crooked Fingers.  But I really, really like Crooked Fingers.
I'm a huge Crooked Fingers fan, and have seen em about 4 times now. Their last show at the Black Cat was exceptional, one of the best I have seen all year. But I think that had alot to do with the Archers' bassist being on tour with them. They didn't rock out like that the other times I've seen em. I was up front for both Crooked Fingers and Okkervil. I think Crooked Fingers were better, but just barely, and probably because I was such a huge Archers fan in HS.

That being said, Okkervil River's new CD is way better than Crooked Fingers' new one.

Sage 703

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by amnesiac:

I'm a huge Crooked Fingers fan, and have seen em about 4 times now. Their last show at the Black Cat was exceptional, one of the best I have seen all year. But I think that had alot to do with the Archers' bassist being on tour with them. They didn't rock out like that the other times I've seen em. I was up front for both Crooked Fingers and Okkervil. I think Crooked Fingers were better, but just barely, and probably because I was such a huge Archers fan in HS.

That being said, Okkervil River's new CD is way better than Crooked Fingers' new one. [/b]
But am I right in thinking that they're fairly similar?  I haven't heard Okkervil's studio recordings; this is based purely on live set.  And yes, I was at that Crooked Fingers Black Cat show too - thought it was phenomenal.  I love seeing them live; I'm pretty sure the Archers bassist has been with them throughout, unless Eric is touring by himself doing solo acoustic stuff.  The last time I saw them with the band was with Azure Ray, and it was the same bassist (that was an AMAZING show).

amnesiac

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
 But am I right in thinking that they're fairly similar?  I haven't heard Okkervil's studio recordings; this is based purely on live set.  And yes, I was at that Crooked Fingers Black Cat show too - thought it was phenomenal.  I love seeing them live; I'm pretty sure the Archers bassist has been with them throughout, unless Eric is touring by himself doing solo acoustic stuff.  The last time I saw them with the band was with Azure Ray, and it was the same bassist (that was an AMAZING show).
Yes, I do hear some similarity between the two, with the whole americana sound. But I actually think Okkervil sounds more like Bright Eyes, but less emo. The singers' deliveries are similar. Lyrically, I'd say Okkervil are more similar to Crooked Fingers.

I've seen Eric solo once and I was also at that Azure Ray show. But I don't remember Matt playing bass for that one. He's a weird dude, so I'd think I would remember him being there. Then again, I was probably staring at Orenda Fink from Azure Ray the whole time...

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 03:50:00 pm »
I saw Okkervill River at Bumbershoot. Surprisingly pretty decent, but they did remind me of a less annoying version of Bright Eyes.