Author Topic: Mogwai Roll Call  (Read 6397 times)

groovyside

Re: Mogwai Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by bishop88:
  1) Does anyone know where I can get the set list for the show?
You can get it right here:
 01 Hunted by a Freak
 02 Friend of the Night
 03 Summer
 04 Travel is Dangerous
 05 Stanley Kubrick
 06 Acid Food
 07 Ithica
 08 Yes, I Am a Long Way from Home
 09 Christmas Steps
 10 Stop Coming to My Home
 11 Helicon 1
 12 Glasgow Mega-Snake

Encore:
 13 You Don't Know Jesus
 14 We're No Here

(note: the last song was not "My Father My King", for whoever asked)

groovyside

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  in this instance, a bit indulgent and definitely excessively loud = transcendent music experience
amen, Snailhook.  thought the show was great, just wish the crowd had actually paid attention for the phenomenal jack rose.  oh well - their loss!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 10:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by matts:

Originally posted by bishop88:
  Well said- the set list was phenomenal, and a great blend of old and new.  "See Mogwai play Christmas Steps live" can now be crossed off my 'Must Do Before I Die' list.  A couple of questions for the crowd:

1) Does anyone know where I can get the set list for the show?

2) I heard from someone in the crowd that you can sometimes d/l 9:30 Club shows.  Does anyone know where I could get the Mogwai show so I can re-live the splendor for all eternity?
The show, and others, can be downloaded or streamed at the 'all songs considered' portion of the NPR website.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5384035

Last night was a truly great show. [/b]
Holy shit, this is good!

Thanks for posting this.

And thanks to the person who posted the set list.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 02:23:00 am »
They didn't play Mogwai Fear Satan???

groovyside

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 09:17:00 am »
review in the Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/11/AR2006051102059.html

Mogwai Offers Mix of Old And New, Mild and Wild
 Friday, May 12, 2006; Page C07

The Scottish quintet Mogwai has made a decade-long career out of serenely dynamic instrumental songs that layer simple riffs and chords into dramatic sound sculptures. On Wednesday night at the 9:30 club, the group highlighted a number of its most distinctive songs from its back catalogue, including the furiously heavy "You Don't Know Jesus" and the droning, angst-ridden "Helicon 1."

In contrast to its older material, Mogwai's songs from its latest album, "Mr. Beast," revealed a milder side. The drum-machine-driven "Acid Food" featured the deep, aloof vocals of guitarist Stuart Braithwaite, while the soft-rock melodies of "Friend of the Night" were gentle and graceful. Despite strobe lights, the songs relied more on warm tones than on the underlying tension and dissonance of the group's earlier work.

However, several of Mogwai's newer songs weren't so sedate: The blazing riffs of the aggressive "Glasgow Mega-Snake" were reminiscent of Black Sabbath, and the final number, "We're No Here," built a deliberate guitar line into a resonant roar. As if to prove that the group hasn't fully mellowed, Braithwaite ended the 90-minute set by laying his guitar on top of his amplifier, and the wall of rumbling feedback reverberated throughout the room like an oncoming tornado.

-- Catherine P. Lewis

© 2006 The Washington Post Company