Author Topic: 2008 Virgin Mobile Festival Lineup  (Read 7770 times)

saintangelsin

Re: 2008 Virgin Mobile Festival Lineup
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
 As I said in the paper, I'm still booking it...whenever that's done, we'll announce it...wanted to get the mainstream stuff out there so we can get the whining here over with, although they'll probably all whine about the other stuff too

bottom line is...if you liked the last 2 years, you're gonna like this year after you hear the whole lineup...and if you didn't like the other V Fests, you'll probably take great pride in telling everyone how you're going to Coachella to see Portishead

and hey, by the way, saintangelsin...

my parents (and my kids) went last year so fuck those assholes that don't understand family
Hearing that from you just makes my day. Thank you, Seth! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has a rock'n roll family.

For many years, people (other concert goers) have found it nuts that my parents are not only just willing to drive my sister and I about 120 miles each way (yeah it's a pretty far trip to the club or a gig in DC from our house) to see bands but they actually want to see the bands too! Not to mention, my parents (who are now in their mid 50s)love the 9:30 Club.

Honestly, those assholes who don't understand the whole family thing at concerts are just jealous  ;)  They wish their families were just as hip.  

ps- best of luck with booking the rest of the bands!

nike4o1

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »
I would just like to send out a mass "you are welcome" for getting you the lineup first...my PM box is full, so i understand if you don't show your gratitude...

as always...

taperkat

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 09:39:00 am »
I think I'm going to have to pull a serious mea culpa, despite all my dogging about "fuck, i hate outdoor fests, etc etc etc" I am totally all over this... Rabbit in the fucking Moon, of all things, sealed it for me. Hopefully will at least have a chance to promote it, not that it needs it, but Seth, apologies. I'm actually excited for this lineup.

serpent boy

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
Gogol Bordello is confirmed.
 http://sideonedummy.com/tours.php?band_name=Gogol_Bordello

Are they any good?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 10:44:00 am »
gogol are a frikken riot, definitely recommended.  i've seen them 4 times now so i'm kind of over them, but i was utterly blown away the first time i saw them at the 930.  this is a show you'll want to be front and center for, the dancing/moshing is fun and good-natured (hopefully this will hold true for the festival setting).

i'd definitely make it a point to catch gogol at the festival.
<sig>

Cali

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
 If that's the Foos' official DC date, I'm gonna weep.
from the way it sounded when seth was on the radio, it seems like something else may be planned. but who knows, maybe he was just talking about them headlining.

Cash is King

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »
STP is good. And NIN wouldn't be bad if the other headliners were better.  But when you are basically looking at STP and NIN....a little weak. PLEASE don't put them on at the same time. They both had their best days at the same time.  People like me grew up listening to both of them. So naturally, most people who go to see STP, will also be going to see NIN.  PLEASE don't put them on at the same time.

But I have been a huge supporter of this Festival, and have faith Seth will pull it off again this year.  Gogol is an awesome start.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by serpent boy:

Are they any good?
FUCK YES!
 I just saw them at the Electric Factory in Philly about a month ago and saw them at 930 last year sometime. This > headliners

4sho! Keep the good news acomin'!
‼‼?‼‼

saintangelsin

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by serpent boy:

Are they any good?
Start Wearing Purple is my song right now haha.

And I actually put these guys down on my list for bands that should/could be booked. Score!

Originally posted by -kat-:
  I think I'm going to have to pull a serious mea culpa, despite all my dogging about "fuck, i hate outdoor fests, etc etc etc" I am totally all over this... Rabbit in the fucking Moon, of all things, sealed it for me. Hopefully will at least have a chance to promote it, not that it needs it, but Seth, apologies. I'm actually excited for this lineup.
So is Rabbit in the Moon offical? If so, that is pretty fucking rad!

Originally posted by Cash is King:
  STP is good. And NIN wouldn't be bad if the other headliners were better.  But when you are basically looking at STP and NIN....a little weak. PLEASE don't put them on at the same time. They both had their best days at the same time.  People like me grew up listening to both of them. So naturally, most people who go to see STP, will also be going to see NIN.  PLEASE don't put them on at the same time.

But I have been a huge supporter of this Festival, and have faith Seth will pull it off again this year.  Gogol is an awesome start.
I agree with this. It would be pretty rough to try to pick between the two. Just like you Cash, I grew up listening to both bands. I know that Seth tries to schedule stuff so it's like there's a little bit of something for everyone when bands are playing. A good example of this was when Interpol and Velvet Revolver were playing at the same time last year, it worked well. Those who like mainstream rock had something and those who like indie stuff had something. Also, pitting 311 against the Pumpkins was brillant. The kids who are partiers had 311 and the rest of us were able to enjoy the Pumpkins without much hassle. A final example, though it's not as strong perhaps, was having Panic! At the Disco playing at the same time as Bad Brains. I was able to go watch a real punk band while Panic were playing. Though after watching 20 minutes of Bad Brains, I got a little bored. (Sorry, it's true!)

But just like you, I have faith that Seth will take this into consideration. He's a music geek like the rest of us and understands the issues surrounding pitting simular bands against each other.

RonniStar

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
Have Foos & STP headline the Main Satge Saturday, and NIN headlines the Main Stage on Sunday. The second Will Jack Johnson on Saturday and Kanye West on Sunday. However, if they get more acts, I'm open to changing it up a bit.