Author Topic: BoonDock Saints in Theaters...  (Read 2298 times)

clyde725

Re: BoonDock Saints in Theaters...
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 11:48:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by clyde725:
  And, the acting isn't great, but there are definitely worse movies than this.
see, everyone i've ever talked to about this movie hasn't said "it's fun and entertaining, and it's not a masterpiece, but there are definitely worse movies than this" ... they say: "holy shit!!  boondock saints is the bomb!!! best movie ever!!!!"

and, shadrach, i agree with you, the vast majority of the people i've spoken to about this movie absolutely love it, not sure what point you're refuting there [/b]
When I said there were worst movies than this I meant as far as acting is concerned.  I think it is the bomb.  You're gonna hear people say, "Ah man, that movie was awesome. And, when Willem Dafoe did <insert random scene> that was amazing.  I've never seen anything like that before."  You aren't going to hear someone say, "That was great how you could see how scared he was and yet was trying to act so tough when he <insert random scene>."  I'm just saying if you're trying to judge it based on the latter criteria, its not going to work.

eltee

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 12:09:00 pm »
Well, I like it. The end is a bit bloody, but yah know. My favorite line is about the cat.   :)  
 What's scary is the youngin's who watch this movie!

Shadrach

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 01:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by clyde725:
 [qb] and, shadrach, i agree with you, the vast majority of the people i've spoken to about this movie absolutely love it, not sure what point you're refuting there [/b]
I wasn't so much trying to refute a point as much as make a point. I am not trying to say that if enough people like something that it must be good. I'm just saying that maybe there's something there that they can enjoy and relate to.

I understand that this movie is in no way ground breaking from a cinematic standpoint, but to achieve what it did as an almost exclusively straight to video release is nothing short of amazing.

Clearly this movie struck a chord with its audience because people that dig this movie tend to "love" it.

flawd101

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
i love this movie. you just don't because you're stupid pussies that hate anything fun and exciting.  have fun watching your bland comedies and boring dramas. have fun at the oscars.

and xmen 3 was fucking amazing.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by flawd101:
 you just don't because you're stupid pussies that hate anything fun and exciting.  have fun watching your bland comedies and boring dramas. have fun at the oscars.
no no no, you got it all wrong ... the knee-jerk knock on us who don't like it should be:

"you stupid motherfuckers are just elitist contrarions who say they don't like anything that has very broad "underground" buzz (major label/OC indie like DCFC and Franz or "napoleon dynamite" are other examples) because it makes these self-obsessed hipsters look so uncool to accept such pop culture ephemera that people with generally bland tastes embrace as their "alternative" pet projects"

fortunately, the movie just flat-out sucks, and i like tons of other balls-to-the-wall movies, so i can neither be pigeon-holed into your lazy shit stereotype nor my well-crafted one ... but for fuck's sake, get your insults down better before you throw them around
(o|o)

definitivedoodle

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
"you stupid motherfuckers are just elitist contrarions who say they don't like anything that has very broad "underground" buzz (major label/OC indie like DCFC and Franz or "napoleon dynamite" are other examples) because it makes these self-obsessed hipsters look so uncool to accept such pop culture ephemera that people with generally bland tastes embrace as their "alternative" pet projects"

i going to have to remember this for the next DCFC post.

Shadrach

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »
If you've lumped this movie in with action movies or mafia movies or even shoot em' up movies then no wonder you don't like it. You don't get it.

This movie is a dark comedy along the lines of Heathers, Very Bad Things, True Romance, Fargo or Dr. Strangelove. It is not a "balls to the walls" movie as one person suggested.

Arthwys

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »
I've always thought this film was popular for the same reason Irish bars are popular.  It's Irish people being a bit barmy and definitely being badass despite ineptness.  Among many friends of mine, this movie is good simply because it melds hardcore Irish Roman Catholicism with violence against "the system".
Emrys