Author Topic: BoonDock Saints in Theaters...  (Read 2300 times)

definitivedoodle

BoonDock Saints in Theaters...
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:18:00 am »
I heard that BDS will be in theaters for one night only this Tuesday...

with extra sceens... i think

any idea where?

nkotb

Re: BoonDock Saints in Theaters...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:26:00 am »
Why does everyone in the free world love this movie?

Originally posted by definitivedoodle:
  I heard that BDS will be in theaters for one night only this Tuesday...

with extra sceens... i think

any idea where?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:01:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Why does everyone in the free world love this movie?
god, do i hate this movie ... and i like tarantino and other shoot em up flicks, this one is just absolutely horrible ... the dialogue might be the worst i've ever seen on film
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:42:00 am »
jesus this movie is horrible, the whole time I was watching it I was wondering if I must have the wrong movie, truly horrible writing and acting

definitivedoodle

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 09:45:00 am »
never said i loved it

but i think its a great bloodly, shoot um up movie that doesnt require much thinking.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 09:46:00 am »
The worst part was that friends of mine that actually have decent taste in movies gave it glowing recommendations.  

I was just talking about it with a friend: I found it so painful to watch that I honestly lose a little respect for people that like it.  I'll even take it further and say that anyone that likes Boondock Saints has no right criticizing movies.  At all.

Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  jesus this movie is horrible, the whole time I was watching it I was wondering if I must have the wrong movie, truly horrible writing and acting

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 09:46:00 am »
i'm actually interested to hear a well-reasoned defense of this movie from someone whose taste in films i respect ... i have no idea how it got to be such a "cult classic"
(o|o)

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:02:00 am »
This doc is MUCH more entertaining than the film itself!

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/567/567364p1.html

MaLo

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:38:00 am »
I am so happy that i am not the only person on earth who hates this movie.

I totally fail to see what everyone says is so great about it.

Shadrach

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:41:00 am »
The movie was in theaters for one night only on the 22nd. The local showing sold out in advance.

Oh and for the record I enjoyed this movie. I see it as a very dark comedy, not really a shoot emâ?? up movie. Anyone who watches this movie and can't see the humor in it or appreciate Willem Dafoe's hysterical performance isnâ??t seeing the same thing I am.

I donâ??t think youâ??ll find a proper representation on this forum, but the vast majority of people I know really enjoyed this movie. I think the success and following of the film proves the same thing.

clyde725

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
Ok, I'll provide the dissenting opinion.  I actually love this movie.  First of all, you have to take it for what it is: a sweet, badass movie.  Its the type of movie you need to watch every now and again to relax and be entertained.  Its like how you have to switch up from listening to Modest Mouse or Animal Collective to listen to the Kings of Leon every once in awhile. Its the type of movie where you think to yourself "wow, this is sweet.  I wish I was these guys running from the cops, shooting up the mafia."  And, some of the scenes are pretty original in addition to being sweet.  And, I actually think the dialogue is pretty funny, but I only think its funny cause I like the characters.  I could see how if you didn't like the characters, the dialogue could suck.

And, the acting isn't great, but there are definitely worse movies than this.

TomJaworski

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 10:52:00 am »
"Boondock Saints" is highly overrated. However, Willem Dafoe is incredibly entertaining and makes the movie actually watch-able.
 "It was a firefight!!!!"

But, I agree that the documentary "Overnight" is fascinating. My god was that guy (the director) an arrogant dick. And, his music sucked too.

Sage 703

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
Originally posted by clyde725:
  Ok, I'll provide the dissenting opinion.  I actually love this movie.  First of all, you have to take it for what it is: a sweet, badass movie.  Its the type of movie you need to watch every now and again to relax and be entertained.  Its like how you have to switch up from listening to Modest Mouse or Animal Collective to listen to the Kings of Leon every once in awhile. Its the type of movie where you think to yourself "wow, this is sweet.  I wish I was these guys running from the cops, shooting up the mafia."  And, some of the scenes are pretty original in addition to being sweet.  And, I actually think the dialogue is pretty funny, but I only think its funny cause I like the characters.  I could see how if you didn't like the characters, the dialogue could suck.

Yeah, I like it quite a bit too.  I just think its fun.  Its certainly not some kind of cinematic masterpiece, but I thought as far as action movies go, it was better than most.

nkotb

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 10:58:00 am »
I'm not movie connoisseur, not by a long shot. And I can definitely appreciate a movie for it's sheer over-the-top badness. But Boondock Saint's isn't even bad in a good way. It's mostly just a collection of half-baked gunfights, pale imitations of Tarantino dialogue and random side stories that have no purpose.

I think the most disappointing part is the the violence isn't even good.  If you want good gunfights and over the top action, check out something like Hard-Boiled, for chrissakes.

First of all, you have to take it for what it is: a sweet, badass movie.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 11:22:00 am »
see, everyone i've ever talked to about this movie hasn't said "it's fun and entertaining, and it's not a masterpiece, but there are definitely worse movies than this" ... they say: "holy shit!!  boondock saints is the bomb!!! best movie ever!!!!"

and, shadrach, i agree with you, the vast majority of the people i've spoken to about this movie absolutely love it, not sure what point you're refuting there
(o|o)