Author Topic: Fuck iTunes  (Read 3256 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Fuck iTunes
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

And before Kosmos says emusic, they dont have the selection of other services, so they dont have to deal with a lot of the major labels.
they used to be much better than they were....much better...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 11:43:00 am »
yeah, but in addition to restrictions on the downloaded music, Apple has made it a huge pain in the ass to do simple things like copy your music from an Ipod to a computer, regardless of whether you purchased the music from them or not.
_\|/_

markie

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  they are just corporate ho's like everyone else!
Yep they are corporate ho's. That is why they got the five major record labels to deal with them. Can you imagine how tricky it must have been cutting that kind of deal?

I mean sony has only just started to natively support MP3 on its portable devices. There has been a big resistance from music downloading from the majors. Or didnt you notice?

markie

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 12:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

I was allowed 10 copies [/b][/QUOTE]

Do you really think 10 is an unreasonable amount? What point do you think you cross into unfair useage?

Do you have one copy of word in your office installed on 11 computers?

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:

I was allowed 10 copies [/b]
Do you really think 10 is an unreasonable amount? What point do you think you cross into unfair useage?

Do you have one copy of word in your office installed on 11 computers? [/b][/QUOTE]

that's silly.  The fact is, you can buy a music CD for roughly the same price, or less if used, and you can install it on a billion computers if you like.  You are getting much less when you buy music online; you should be charged much less as a result.
_\|/_

markie

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »

[qb]  
  buy a music CD for roughly the same price, or less if used, and you can install it on a billion computers if you like.  You are getting much less when you buy music online [/b]
Well you do get the convinience of a rapid download. For some people who are immobile or miles from a good record store this could be a huge advantage.

But I would contend the normal music users does not want to burn hundreds of copies or install on a billion computers. What is more if you were found to be selling copies of CDs however they were made I suspect you might be getting to see Martha Stewart rather often.

brennser

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 12:32:00 pm »
10 is a reasonable amount if I download an album from itunes and burn that entire album 10 times

I do not think 10 is a reasonable amount for the digital equivalent of a mix tape - we could probably go back and forth on this all day but the CD I make for folks every year by and large contains stuff most people never hear, and I know for a fact a few of them buy albums of artists based on a song they heard on my CD

so for a personal compilation CD that I distribute  gratis  to friends and family I don't really see any number as unfair usage - I will probably burn at least 60 copies of this CD this year

• my blog
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 12:36:00 pm »
  Well you do get the convinience of a rapid download. For some people who are immobile or miles from a good record store this could be a huge advantage.

But I would contend the normal music users does not want to burn hundreds of copies or install on a billion computers. What is more if you were found to be selling copies of CDs however they were made I suspect you might be getting to see Martha Stewart rather often.
honestly, how many people are "immobile or miles from a record store?"   And if you are, you can order them online and get 'em within a couple of days.

As far as burning CDs, I didn't say anything about selling them.  But you have no restrictions on personal use, whereas the anti-theft provisions restrict personal use.

They really should be selling online music at no more than $2-3 a CD, given the substantial cost savings in selling that way and the diminished value you get when buying it.

I know there are reasons for all of this, but the bottom line is why make excuses for a faceless corporation, which is what Apple is (despite a big marketing and design budget to convince you otherwise?)   They should do better.
_\|/_

markie

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 12:42:00 pm »

I do not think 10 is a reasonable amount for the digital equivalent of a mix tape - we could probably go back and forth on this all day but the CD I make for folks every year by and large contains stuff most people never hear, and I know for a fact a few of them buy albums of artists based on a song they heard on my CD

[/b]
Umm, yep we could go back and forth.....

But I just hear GGW in my head when you say things like that.

You could always make one CD and then use toast and do disc copy for the rest. It is probably quicker that way......

markie

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
  As far as burning CDs, I didn't say anything about selling them.  But you have no restrictions on personal use, whereas the anti-theft provisions restrict personal use.

They really should be selling online music at no more than $2-3 a CD, given the substantial cost savings in selling that way and the diminished value you get when buying it.

I know there are reasons for all of this, but the bottom line is why make excuses for a faceless corporation, which is what Apple is (despite a big marketing and design budget to convince you otherwise?)   They should do better.
Well I guess installing something on a computer that is not your own would not be personal use. Think of music like software.

Apple says it makes no money from itunes store, then again it spends millions on advertising it. I think record companies make close to what you are saying per album download. The service does not come for free. Like that it cost about 10 cents to make and package a mass produced CD. Why are CDs in stores not 10 cents?

I am not making excuses. It just seams so logical to me. You pay for a service or you dont. Its up to you.As it is the most succesful pay for download service I think it will survive.

And you cannot call Microsoft or Apple faceless they have rather prominant figure heads.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
how about stopping the crying about itunes and just use soulseek
o/\o

jmascis

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  how about stopping the crying about itunes and just use soulseek
AMEN BROTHA!!!! Gotta love Soulseek!!!

Bags

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »
December 6, 2004
 Pew File-Sharing Survey Gives a Voice to Artists
 By TOM ZELLER Jr.
 New York Times

The battle over digital copyrights and illegal file sharing is often portrayed as a struggle between Internet scofflaws and greedy corporations. Online music junkies with no sense of the marketplace, the argument goes, want to download, copy and share copyrighted materials without restriction. The recording industry, on the other hand, wants to squeeze dollars - by lawsuit and legislation, if necessary - from its property.

The issue, of course, is far subtler than this, but one aspect of the caricature is dead on: the artists are nowhere to be found. A survey released yesterday by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, an arm of the Pew Research Center in Washington, aims to change that. The report, "Artists, Musicians and the Internet," combines and compares the opinions of three groups: the general public, those who identify themselves as artists of various stripes (including filmmakers, writers and digital artists) and a somewhat more self-selecting category of musicians.

Most notably, it is the first large-scale snapshot of what the people who actually produce the goods that downloaders seek (and that the industry jealously guards) think about the Internet and file-sharing.

Among the findings: artists are divided but on the whole not deeply concerned about online file-sharing. Only about half thought that sharing unauthorized copies of music and movies online should be illegal, for instance. And makers of file-sharing software like Kazaa and Grokster may be unnerved to learn that nearly two-thirds said such services should be held responsible for illegal file-swapping; only 15 percent held individual users responsible.

The subset of 2,755 musicians, who were recruited for the survey through e-mail notices, announcements on Web sites and flyers distributed at musicians' conferences, had somewhat different views. Thirty-seven percent, for instance, said the file-sharing services and those who use them ought to share the blame for illegal trades. Only 17 percent singled out the online services themselves as the guilty parties.

"This should solve the problem once and for all about whether anyone can say they speak for all artists," said Jenny Toomey, the executive director of the Future of Music Campaign, a nonprofit organization seeking to bring together the various factions in the copyright wars.

Ms. Toomey, whose group helped draft part of the survey, believes that artists are usually underrepresented in the debates about the high-tech evolution of the industry.

"These decisions need to be made with artists at the table," she said, adding, "it's not enough for both sides to reach out and get an artist who supports their position."

Indeed, big-ticket acts like Metallica and Don Henley have famously denounced illegal file sharing. And the Recording Industry Association of America, which has filed thousands of lawsuits against individual file-sharers, often invokes musicians as prime movers in its crusade.

"Breaking into the music business is no picnic," its Web site reads. "Piracy makes it tougher to survive and even tougher to break through."

File-sharers, on the other hand, often point to high-profile performers like Moby and Chuck D who acknowledge that the online swap meet has provided them with valuable exposure.

"I know for a fact that a lot of people first heard my music by downloading it from Napster or Kazaa," Moby wrote in his online journal last year. "And for this reason I'll always be glad that Napster and Kazaa have existed."

Without questioning the convictions of artists who feel strongly one way or another, however, the Pew survey appears to show that the creative set is both mindful of the benefits the Internet promises and ambivalent about the abuses it facilitates.

"The overall picture," said Lee Rainie, the director of the Pew Project, "is that the musician-artistic community has a much wider range of views and experiences than folks who watch the Washington debate about copyright might imagine."

Whether the survey will help speed a resolution to the copyright wars, however, remains an open question.

"The goal is to build a new structure that doesn't repeat the failures of the existing structure," Ms. Toomey said. "But," she added, "these things don't change overnight."

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2004, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  December 6, 2004
 Pew File-Sharing Survey Gives a Voice to Artists
 By TOM ZELLER Jr.
 New York Times

What a ridiculously flawed survery. They make no attempt to differentiate between artists who are "helped" by file sharing networks (i.e., indies who are looking for some exposure, Dispatch being the classic example at a collegiate level) and artists who are making money and getting their songs ripped off. Or even artists who make a living off their music rather than waiting tables.
(o|o)