Author Topic: Fuck iTunes  (Read 3258 times)

brennser

Fuck iTunes
« on: December 05, 2004, 11:00:00 pm »
So there I am, happily burning copies of my year end 'Best of', when iTunes informs me that because 1 of the 21 songs on the CD was purchased from iTunes, I can't burn any more copies.....

well fuck you iTunes and fuck you Steve Jobs - thank God the only songs I ever bought from you were with Pepsi bottle caps and gift certs, they'll be the last songs I ever buy from you

feeling much better now   :eek:

ratioci nation

Re: Fuck iTunes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:04:00 am »
well I agree this sucks, why i dont buy much digital music, but just for future reference, re-rip the song as an mp3 once you have burned it once, then there are no restrictions

brennser

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 12:11:00 am »
thanks matt - lemme try that

Originally posted by pollard:
  well I agree this sucks, why i dont buy much digital music, but just for future reference, re-rip the song as an mp3 once you have burned it once, then there are no restrictions

brennser

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 12:24:00 am »
I owe you a pint - you just saved me from going to Tower tomorrow and dropping $45 (turns out there were 3 itunes songs on the CD)   :D  

Originally posted by brennser:
  thanks matt - lemme try that

Originally posted by pollard:
[/b]

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:26:00 am »
yeah, all the anti-theft crap plus the fact that you're buying something that's already in a degraded format -- MP3s -- and you don't get the CD and the jewel case, and you pay the same price... pretty much closes the case against paying for online music (for now).

If ya wanna pay for your music, the best thing to do is go to Amazon dot com or similar sites and just buy used CDs.   You can rip them as MP3s once you get them if your heart desires, but you'll always have the original disc if your computer crashes or some fuckweed makes off with your MP3 player.
_\|/_

lionforce5

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:26:00 am »
Actually, the itunes music store uses AAC encodes, not MP3.  There is a way to remove the encryption and convert it to a normal, non-encrypted AAC file, which I've mentioned in another thread about online music purchasing sites.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to purchase something you should have the right to do what you want with it.  It's one of the reasons I hate seeing commercials (not previews,  commercials) before a movie.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 07:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  yeah, all the anti-theft crap plus the fact that you're buying something that's already in a degraded format -- MP3s -- and you don't get the CD and the jewel case, and you pay the same price...  
Not to mention the lousy 'tude and insincere "have a nice day" from the music store clerk, that alone is worth $10.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 09:06:00 am »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
 Not to mention the lousy 'tude and insincere "have a nice day" from the music store clerk, that alone is worth $10.
some of those people are geuniely friendly!

Guiny

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 10:05:00 am »
 If ya wanna pay for your music, the best thing to do is go to Amazon dot com or similar sites and just buy used CDs.   You can rip them as MP3s once you get them if your heart desires, but you'll always have the original disc if your computer crashes or some fuckweed makes off with your MP3 player. [/QB]
That's what I've been doing lately.

markie

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I can't burn any more copies.....

You can burn other playlists though. But it is just 3 copies of the one playlist.

I imagine the recording industry forced apple into these restrictions. I doubt very much if it was apples choice.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:
  I imagine the recording industry forced apple into these restrictions. I doubt very much if it was apples choice.
Why do you think that?  Nobody else has imposed restrictions like that... why would Apple be singled out?

Face it, despite Apple's hip image and their emphasis on creative packaging, they are just corporate ho's like everyone else!
_\|/_

brennser

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
But it is just 3 copies of the one playlist.

I was allowed 10 copies

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
Face it, despite Apple's hip image and their emphasis on creative packaging, they are just corporate ho's like everyone else! [/QB]
Thank you!  I get so sick of the Mac cultists portraying Apple as some sort of benevolent entity designed to cater to ultra-enlightened souls.  They're in it for the cash just like anyone else.

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
Dropping 2K on a laptop would probably make someone quite defensive about the company they just supported.

ratioci nation

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
  Why do you think that?  Nobody else has imposed restrictions like that... why would Apple be singled out?

All of the digital music services have some kind of restriction.

And before Kosmo says emusic, they dont have the selection of other services, so they dont have to deal with a lot of the major labels.