Author Topic: Hating Radiohead is the hipster's dirty little secret  (Read 7178 times)

Yank

Re: Hating Radiohead is the hipster's dirty little secret
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2003, 11:34:00 am »
I don't hate Radiohead either, but.....!  I've bought most of their albums but never seem to play them more than a couple of times.  I really have to be in the mood to enjoy them.  If I were on Prozac they'd probably be my favorite band.

markie

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 12:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by The Pariah:
 [qb] you will never see DSOTM ranked higher on anyones list of all-time best albums. [/b]
Are you crazy? Its higher on my list of all time best albums for a start. Stop reading Q magazine.

sonickteam2

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2003, 12:15:00 pm »

[qb] you will never see DSOTM ranked higher on anyones list of all-time best albums. [/b]
Are you crazy? Its higher on my list of all time best albums for a start. Stop reading Q magazine. [/b]
Listen here "NME boy" .

I am 100% positive that YOU read a great deal more magazine articles than about music and "lists" than me.  So quit your "quit reading such and such magazine", cause thats just the pot and the kettle.  Besides, you quoted a magazine to begin with (or whoever started with Billboard)

and i think we all know that record sales dont have all that much to do with how good an album is.  esp not these days.

ggw

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
 We live in a different time now, and while no, OK Computer wont be on the charts for as long...you will never see DSOTM ranked higher on anyones list of all-time best albums.
Put down the crackpipe and step away from the keyboard.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
  and i think we all know that record sales dont have all that much to do with how good an album is.  esp not these days.
but dark side was on the charts beginning in 1972 through the 80s. . .that sounds like a good indication of how good the album is. . .or a lot of stoners simply misplaced their earlier copy.

correction: as of dec. 1, 2001 dark side was on the billboard charts for 1,285 weeks, or roughly 25 years.
OU812

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2003, 12:25:00 pm »
Hey...
 I disliked Radiohead before it was cool!

markie

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
  Listen here "NME boy" ......
 ........... Besides, you quoted a magazine to begin with (or whoever started with Billboard)

But you can hardly call 25 years a flash in the pan though. There really might be something to it, dont you think?

I said the charts, I didnt bring up any magazines, although I am pretty sure most reviewers would say DSOTM is better than OKC.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2003, 12:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

- even Kid Rock makes a big deal about hating Radiohead. He even has a video where he's literally using toilet paper with the word 'Radiohead' embossed on it."

If Kid Rock hates Radiohead then, hell, they  must be doomed....  :roll:
😐 🎶

Jaguär

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2003, 12:53:00 pm »
Maybe I should start liking Radiohead.

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2003, 01:32:00 pm »
DSOTM was Pink Floyd's 7th album or something like that....which meant, Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother and Meddle were thier OK Computer, The Bends and Hail To The Thief.  That means Radiohead still has yet to record thier Dark Side Of The Moon.

hmmmmm.

markie

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
Difference is The Floyd started out experimental and finished more poppy, although still experimental. Radiohead seem to be on a on way path from regular pop rock into wank.

So far I would contend that OK comp is radioheads best...wank with tunes. DSOTM is probably floyds best.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2003, 01:46:00 pm »
i've always liked wish you were here more than dark side.  

so, sonick has gone from comparing ok computer with dark side, to now saying that radiohead haven't made their dark side. . .that's creative.
OU812

Bags

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2003, 02:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by samanthaalison:
 People who don't like music for the sole fact that it "doesn't have a hook" are dumb.
People who say that people who don't like music...[cuz] it doesn't have a hook or dumb.

There are many reasons, ways and motivations to listen to and love music, and the one thing I hope I've never done is say someone's way of listening is wrong.  I may disagree to a band's "intrinsic" worth, if that's measurable, but you can't say I'm dumb because I usually prefer melodies.

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2003, 02:30:00 pm »
So maybe the next Radiohead album will be secretly timed to a movie like Dirty Pretty Things.

Note to self: Must listen to recent Radiohead albums with various movies, to attempt to discover any point to their recent music.