Author Topic: Mid-Year Best Discs  (Read 13025 times)

Darth Ed

Re: Mid-Year Best Discs
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2006, 09:41:00 pm »
I haven't listened to the new Muse enough yet (just a quick listen so far), but my current #1 album of the first half of the year is Cannibal Sea by The Essex Green. I'm seriously addicted to that album currently, and I'm really kicking myself for skipping their Black Cat Backstage concert some months ago.

Bags

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  I pulled the Black Angels down from eMusic and it's a definite keeper... So is Austin the new you know what?
Hmmm, this is interesting to hear.  At SXSW, when the rest of the Brian Jonestown Massacre didn't make it in to town on time for the daytime showcase, the Black Angels backed up Anton Newcombe on one long, jam that was awful.  He left the stage and they played the rest of the set and it was no good.  Not sure how much of that was influenced by being geared  up to see BJM, but it was bad....

Bags

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  I pulled the Black Angels down from eMusic and it's a definite keeper... So is Austin the new you know what?
why hadn't anyone told me yet that this was on emusic?  you're slacking kosmo!

by the way, i've been able to find pretty much every album i want from '06 on emusic, it's getting better and better ... now if they can only get sub-pop ...... [/b]
So can someone go find that emusic thread?  Did you know all of Ivy's catalog is on there?  DAMN.

Bags

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  my current #1 album of the first half of the year is Cannibal Sea by The Essex Green. I'm seriously addicted to that album currently, and I'm really kicking myself for skipping their Black Cat Backstage concert some months ago.
I'm with you on really liking the album, and being an ass for missing them at DC9 not too long ago....

Oy.  

Otherwise, 2006 is a lean year for me and new music.  Signing up with eMusic has been great, but not much is really catching my imagination these days.

Best year I had in a while was 2004, I think....

Bags

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  i've completely guzzled the kool-aid when it comes to lily allen, and i never go for that breezy pop shit. but man is that album amazing, probably my second favorite.
You can stream the full Lily Allen cd here

I'm only in to the second song...could see it catching my fancy, though there's no way to know yet.

Darth Ed

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
 I'm with you on really liking the album (Cannibal Sea by The Essex Green), and being an ass for missing them at DC9 not too long ago....
They were at DC9 too? DAMN! I don't recall hearing about that....

jude376

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2006, 10:38:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Originally posted by Bags:
 I'm with you on really liking the album (Cannibal Sea by The Essex Green), and being an ass for missing them at DC9 not too long ago....
They were at DC9 too? DAMN! I don't recall hearing about that.... [/b]
Caught them at the Black Cat backstage in May - perhaps you were thinking of that show?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2006, 09:47:00 am »
Going to have to add Cheap Trick - Rockford to my list and having listened to it am being to wonder if sensitive guy singers aren't in fact killing rock.  Robin still has it that toughness and attitude so lacking it current rock vocalists.  There a couple clunkers on the album, the Linda Perry and faux ZZ Top tracks.  But soundwise it runs the gambit from when Cheap Trick ruled, Dream Police and Heaven Tonight.

For I don't The Raconteurs record just wished they had taken the time to actually finish it.  Suspect that six months down the road I play it again and enjoy it.

I agree with Vansmack at all the feeble attempts at updating classic rocks today.  Wolfmother only being more listenable than say Jet.  It's too bad that Do Me Bad Things had to call it day as they were able to turn classic rock on it's ear a bit.  But with nine members on board I'm guessin' it was a bit tough to keep it all together financially.  

The other trend that worth noting at the moment is the return of the EP.  Given that the cost of pressing any CD is the same whether or not it has five or ten songs, I like that some artists like Cary Brothers and Voxtrot are going the EP route.  I would rather hear five great songs from a developing artist instead of it being padded by filler in order to release it a full length album.
T.Rex

Reod Dai

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
Absolutely LOVE:
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Mates of State - Bring it Back</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Built to Spill - You in Reverse</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Calexico - Garden Ruin</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Josh Ritter - The Animal Years</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Snow Patrol - Eyes Open</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Michael Leviton - My Favorite Place to Drown</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">
 Really, Really Like (A Lot)
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Muse - Black Holes and Revelations</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Soul Asylum - The Silver Lining</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Smoosh - Free to Stay</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Tilly and the Wall - Bottoms of Barrels</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Asobi Seksu - Citrus</font></li>
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Mogwai - Mr. Beast</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Falkenbach - Heralding the Fireblade</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Gathering - Home</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Band of Horses - Everything All the Time</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Pretty Girls Make Graves - Ã?lan Vital</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Starlight Mints - Drowaton</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Islands - Return to the Sea</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Tool - 10,000 Days</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Cowboy Mouth - Voodoo Shoppe</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Kind of Like Spitting - "The Thrill of the Hunt"</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Jason Collett - Idols of Exile</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Mono - You Are There</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Lovely Feathers - Hind Hind Legs</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Birdmonster - No Midnight</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Beirut - Gulag Orkestar</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Lauren Hoffman - Choreography</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Sia - Colour the Small One (US version)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Extraordinaires - Ribbons of War</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">José González - Veneer</font></li>
 The new Long Winters, Putting the Days to Bed, just came out, and I expect that'll be on my list, too.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »
picks from allmusic.com editors ... some good stuff on here

(edited so that the link is a little less revealing, i.e. No "Hello Pxxxx" on the page)

<small>[ 07-26-2006, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: kosmo vinyl ]</small>
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »
has anyone heard the envelope album?  saw a video on subterranean, really great stuff
(o|o)

starrdogg92

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »
I figure since it's a mid-year list, 5 albums should suffice. My top 5 thus far:

1) Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming
 2) Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
 3) Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
 4) Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of this Country
 5) The Knife - Silent Shout

Also just got this EP from this band Tokyo Police Club, definitely have "next big thing" written all over them, I think they're opening for Enon when they come to town.

Lastly, anyone know why the new TV on the Radio US release date keeps getting pushed back? And anyone know where to get a cheap copy of it so I don't have to wait until September? I absolutely love "I Was a Lover."