Author Topic: what band have you seen most often?  (Read 29319 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: what band have you seen most often?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2009, 08:52:22 pm »
here's the context for the driving distances post you made for 4 of the shows- they were over spring break my sophomore year.....i would not have made the trip to houston or new orleans otherwise.....from waco to either dallas or austin were pretty easy drives.  houston was longer, but we got to stay with friends, and we were then able to drive from houston to new orleans. . .and really, who wouldn't go to new orleans?  plus, i love driving, i love seeing this country. . .got to stop at the state capitols in baton rouge (dork alert- we staged a re-enactment of huey long supposedly being shot by carl weiss; personally, i think huey got caught in the cross-fire and the fatal shot was from his body guards) and jackson.  and did a whirlwind drive through of the vicksburg battlefield.....stopping at the church's fried chicken across from the entrance for dinner. . .it was a fun college road trip....

course, i realize that that doesn't answer your underlying question about what drove us to follow her for 4 shows. . .it was simply something to do over spring break for some people who love music.....also, remember. . .i was in waco; i had to drive to see music- steven curtis chapman and michael w smith didn't count.  driving wasn't a problem to us at school- i mean, if a band played in dallas and austin, we could go to both.  i did the same thing with luna and gbv- if they played in d.c. and philly, i went to both.  i did plan one new years around the GBV farewell show in chicago....  and i even drove to state college, pa once just to see luna play a 40 minute set. 

oh, my music OCD started before sarah with a little band called REM. . .if you look at my cds, you'll notice that i have two copies of their output whilst signed to IRS- one is their original issue and the other is the original import re-issues with extra tracks that IRS did in the 90s.  i have no reason why i have both, but i do.  when they toured during monster, they played 3 shows at shoreline- i went to all 3.  i got three different setlists from them (i also got three different sets from sonic youth, who were opening). . .i also have the pavement re-issues and the original issues.  i realized i had to stop once ryko started putting out re-issues of the re-issues for elvis costello....

i still avow that i've never been to a lilith fair. . although i think my friend mark went once to see liz phair. . .
OU812

eltee

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2009, 11:09:25 am »
it used to be about the music, man.
Well, I've seen Sarah about 4 times. Although I haven't seen her in a few years, her vocals are solid live, that's why I enjoyed her shows. I heard her music in college, liked it, as did most of my friends. It helped that she was endearing. When Lilith Fair came along, for us it was about the music, and to party, basically.
(I didn't hear about all the hidden meanings or stereotypes about her and the festival until after...)
I saw many things at LF that were similar to any festival in the 90s ;)..it was just a post-grunge-college thing to do...We were pretty used to festivals w/ Earth Day, Lolla, hfstival and what not. 
I haven't been to a Sarah show since Patriot Center a couple years back. I respect her voice, but I probably wouldn't go to another show. (A little too large of a production edging toward a musical / theater (too many props;P)

Back to this thread, many shows I've been to are 4 times avg. Mostly b/c of my schedule and money constraints. I have seen a few other bands numerous times, but I've helped on the tours, so they don't really count.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2009, 11:12:28 am »
need to add the Mountain Goats....seen them at least 10 times... :)
(_|_)

sonickteam2

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2009, 11:25:57 am »
although i think my friend mark went once to see liz phair. . .

there is NOTHING wrong with seeing Liz Phair.....unless it was post-2003.

Also, I have seen Sarah McLachlan twice.  But I am Canadian, so that's my excuse (once in 1994, once in 1997)

dave24

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2009, 11:49:00 am »
Lucinda Williams
Blues Traveler
Dada
Jewel
Robert Cray
Patty Griffin
Eric Clapton
Van Halen
Stanley Jordan
Steve Poltz

All double digits - except Dada, but they're close...  I know I'm leaving some acts out - but that's representative of it...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2009, 01:42:41 pm »
I was raised Irish Catholic
i use that as an excuse for beer. when it is pointed out that i am also half italian, i switch to wine
o/\o