Author Topic: Beck, playing DC tonight!  (Read 6562 times)

BookerT

Re: Beck, playing DC tonight!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
12 years ago today beck played a show at the old 930 club. was anyone there? that same night the jesus and mary chain played at WUST, what is now the 930 club. i remember this clearly because i was not allowed to go to either show as i was in a situation similar to young betty at the time. bummer. i did see beck at the "new" 930 a couple years later in august 96. modest mouse opened. that was a fun show.

nkotb

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »
Man, I almost forgot about Modest Mouse opening that show!  Don't forget, though; Money Mark, the Beastie's keyboardist, opened as well.

I couldn't make the old 9:30 show because of age either, but an older group of friends made it, and were invited in early by Beck who made them PBJ sandwiches...at least that's how their story goes.

I'll never forget Beck asking the audience at the newer 9:30 show if they wanted to hear "Lampshade," and no one responding except my friends and I (who were intensely obesessed with all things Beck).  Still a little bummed about that; I've seen him perform some rarer songs, but that would've been fantastic!

Originally posted by BookerT:
  12 years ago today beck played a show at the old 930 club. was anyone there? that same night the jesus and mary chain played at WUST, what is now the 930 club. i remember this clearly because i was not allowed to go to either show as i was in a situation similar to young betty at the time. bummer. i did see beck at the "new" 930 a couple years later in august 96. modest mouse opened. that was a fun show.

vansmack

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  I hate you all, but then again i saw Beck at the Download Festival last month...but he couldn't live up to the set by MUSE   :)  
MUSE did rock.  Even Beck said he hoped he could rock as hard as Muse someday.
27>34

BookerT

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
yep, the two MMs opening for beck. i wasn't too into money mark, it got old after a while. modest mouse played a nice and agitated set, though. maybe. who knows how accurate my memories are? i definitely do remember beck playing a very, very early version of "debra" that just brought the house down. right?

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Man, I almost forgot about Modest Mouse opening that show!  Don't forget, though; Money Mark, the Beastie's keyboardist, opened as well.

I couldn't make the old 9:30 show because of age either, but an older group of friends made it, and were invited in early by Beck who made them PBJ sandwiches...at least that's how their story goes.

I'll never forget Beck asking the audience at the newer 9:30 show if they wanted to hear "Lampshade," and no one responding except my friends and I (who were intensely obesessed with all things Beck).  Still a little bummed about that; I've seen him perform some rarer songs, but that would've been fantastic!

Originally posted by BookerT:
[/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 07:16:00 pm »
meant to post this last night:  Beck's geek cred

included are links to a few (old) pix... i haven't found any of last night's show, yet.  anyone else come across any?
<sig>

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »
i like that David knows how i felt last night.  it was pretty brutal.  i can't IMAGINE missing The Jesus and Mary Chain...oh man.  ohhhh man.

did you ever get to see them, before...you know?

smstakes

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »
I am so jealous right now.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2006, 08:26:00 pm »
This is why the Good Lord invented saying goodnight, going to your room, stuffing a dummy in your bed and climbing down the side of the house on a ladder, and hitchiking into town to see the show!
_\|/_

betlbum2

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
Quote: 12 years ago today beck played a show at the old 930 club. was anyone there? that same night the jesus and mary chain played at WUST, what is now the 930 club. i remember this clearly because i was not allowed to go to either show as i was in a situation similar to young betty at the time. bummer. i did see beck at the "new" 930 a couple years later in august 96. modest mouse opened. that was a fun show.

I was at that show and it was amazing, as you remember that it was a very small place. I was a dead Deadhead and got a pic with Beck after the show, I will search for the pic and post.

bearman🐻

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »
I was at the JAMC show...Mazzy Star opened up and Hope Sandoval was wearing angel wings I think. I actually have the setlist...for old time's sake:

Snakedriver
 Taste the Floor
 Blues From a Gun
 Come On
 Hole
 Head On
 Happy When It Rains
 Girlfriend
 Everybody I Know
 9 Million Rainy Days
 Catchfire
 Sidewalking
 Teenage Lust
 Sugar Ray
 ---------------------
 Sometimes Always (w/Hope Sandoval)
 Reverence

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 01:05:00 am »
Heh... I've only seen Jesus And Mary Chain once, but it was amazing... it was during the Rollercoaster tour, in Brighton England sometime around 91ish.  They were playing with Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, Blur, and Curve.  The place was essentially a high school gymnasium, packed to bursting with thousands of sweating, ecstasy-crazed British teenagers all dancing their asses off.  

After the show, everyone piled out onto the streets chanting "we are the mods."    Just kidding, but the rest is all true -- the only time I've ever flown across the Atlantic to see a show, and totally worth it.
_\|/_

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 02:02:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  This is why the Good Lord invented saying goodnight, going to your room, stuffing a dummy in your bed and climbing down the side of the house on a ladder, and hitchiking into town to see the show!
well yeah, but even if i did this, i'm not sure how safe i'd be going down there late at night all by myself...and furthermore, would only pay for a cab under extreme extreme circumstances as the metro doesn't go directly to my house and the bus DOES stop running at one point...

i've thought this through, buddy.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »
review and a few pix here: http://www.dcist.com/archives/2006/10/31/beck_backstage_at_the_black_cat_hell_yes.php

another review here: http://styched.blogspot.com/ (scroll down to Tuesday, October 31)

still trying to find wider-angle crowd shots, back-of-room shots... sigh.  isn't leafblower on this forum?!?

yes, i still have a residual buzz from the show.
<sig>

lagas

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »
damn it...
zorra