Author Topic: Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break  (Read 3378 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  If I wanted "stage production", I'd see a Broadway play, not a rock concert.
absolutely, i hear you brother!  when i go to see a big act for big bucks, i expect dudes to stand perfectly still and perform only music.  really, who cares about lights, projections, story-telling, props, dancers... gimme corpses with guitars every time.  there is no way that stage production can add to a live music show.
<sig>

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 05:45:00 pm »
Sorry, I choose not to spend "big bucks" on concerts. There are European vacations to be taken.

Originally posted by sweetcell:

absolutely, i hear you brother!  when i go to see a big act for big bucks, i expect dudes to stand perfectly still and perform only music.  really, who cares about lights, projections, story-telling, props, dancers... gimme corpses with guitars every time.  there is no way that stage production can add to a live music show. [/b]

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 05:48:00 pm »

absolutely, i hear you brother!  when i go to see a big act for big bucks, i expect dudes to stand perfectly still and perform only music.  really, who cares about lights, projections, story-telling, props, dancers... gimme corpses with guitars every time.  there is no way that stage production can add to a live music show. [/b]
you would have loved early Jesus and Mary Chain shows!
_\|/_

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »
Given your sarcasm, perhaps you should check out Garth Brooks or Cher the next time they come to town.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 05:54:00 pm »
  Sorry, I choose not to spend "big bucks" on concerts. There are European vacations to be taken.

ok rusty. . .
OU812

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 05:57:00 pm »
UPDATE: now looks like Gabriel will be joining them, for at least one date in Portugal.  From Wikipedia:

After so much speculation regarding a reunion, a press conference, held on 7th November 2006, by Banks, Collins and Rutherford announced an upcoming tour in 2007. This announcement comes as the band are about to celebrate 40 years in the music business.

The statement goes on to say that the rough setlist of songs will date back as far as 1973. This will include some longer instrumental passages, the "double drums" and well-known pop hits. There are no plans to perform the hard-core fan favourite "Supper's Ready" or any material from the last studio album "Calling All Stations". A European tour (with more dates to be confirmed) is set for June and July 2007 with a 20-date American tour in the pipeline. The tour will include Daryl Stuermer on additional guitars and bass, and Chester Thompson on drums. There are no future plans in terms of new studio material but the possibility of a live CD / DVD of the reunion tour could become a reality.

Also with this, details were given out regarding the Genesis SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc) remasters in three batches throughout 2007. They include 14 Genesis albums from Trespass through to Calling All Stations in SACD/DVD double disc formats which feature new 5.1 and Stereo mixes.

March 2007 : A Trick Of The Tail, Wind & Wuthering, â?¦And Then There Were Threeâ?¦, Duke and Abacab.
 June/July 2007 : Genesis, Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations.
 Late 2007/Early 2008: Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Peter Gabriel-era Reunion
 According to a link posted on the Genesis official forum, Peter Gabriel will join Banks, Collins & Rutherford on stage on 7-7-07 in Lisbon, Portugal. This makes sense due to Gabriel's previous statements that he could not re-unite with the band due to prior commitments that would keep him busy for up to 6 months.

so, WLSLM, now you can combine next year's euro vacation with some Genesis worshiping  :)
<sig>

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »
Thanks, I'd certainly love to go to Portugal in 2007, but I think we'll have bigger things going on...

UPDATE: now looks like Gabriel will be joining them, for at least one date in Portugal.  From Wikipedia:

After so much speculation regarding a reunion, a press conference, held on 7th November 2006, by Banks, Collins and Rutherford announced an upcoming tour in 2007. This announcement comes as the band are about to celebrate 40 years in the music business.

The statement goes on to say that the rough setlist of songs will date back as far as 1973. This will include some longer instrumental passages, the "double drums" and well-known pop hits. There are no plans to perform the hard-core fan favourite "Supper's Ready" or any material from the last studio album "Calling All Stations". A European tour (with more dates to be confirmed) is set for June and July 2007 with a 20-date American tour in the pipeline. The tour will include Daryl Stuermer on additional guitars and bass, and Chester Thompson on drums. There are no future plans in terms of new studio material but the possibility of a live CD / DVD of the reunion tour could become a reality.

Also with this, details were given out regarding the Genesis SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc) remasters in three batches throughout 2007. They include 14 Genesis albums from Trespass through to Calling All Stations in SACD/DVD double disc formats which feature new 5.1 and Stereo mixes.

March 2007 : A Trick Of The Tail, Wind & Wuthering, â?¦And Then There Were Threeâ?¦, Duke and Abacab.
 June/July 2007 : Genesis, Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations.
 Late 2007/Early 2008: Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Peter Gabriel-era Reunion
 According to a link posted on the Genesis official forum, Peter Gabriel will join Banks, Collins & Rutherford on stage on 7-7-07 in Lisbon, Portugal. This makes sense due to Gabriel's previous statements that he could not re-unite with the band due to prior commitments that would keep him busy for up to 6 months.

so, WLSLM, now you can combine next year's euro vacation with some Genesis worshiping   :)  [/b]

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by delancie:
  i can't wait to go see Genesis with my dad!
i can't wait to go see Genesis with yer grandma!

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 08:20:00 pm »
Just what I needed......a band of menopausal "soft rock" stars that will be charging $150.00 a ticket to hear them sift thru their awesome catalog of top 40 hits from years gone by, that many couples that I hated years ago used to listen to with much frequency....I'm sorry...PASS!!

J'Mal

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 10:41:00 pm »
i'm old enough to have gone see genesis back in the day.

y'all don't know WTF you're talking about.

Invisible Touch was a half good, half crap album.  Everything beyond it is lame. BUT, what came before it was, and remains, amazing.  Albums like three, abacab, duke, the self-titled genesis.  They don't play second home by the sea on wash-fm.  tony banks is a master.  those arrangements are closer to YES than they are to pop.

in concert, they packed stadiums because they ROCKED.  the light show was amazing, the performance, moving.  phil would sometimes stay behind the drums, sometimes come out, they toured with chester thompson to help on drums and he R O C K E D.

the soccer moms and lite-FM crowd would not have enjoyed those shows.  If that is what they're going to re-create, then go listen to those albums, see why they are classics, and pray that phil, mike, and tony will give you today what they STILL put out there in 1986.

Guiny

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

ok rusty. . . [/b]
I shouldn't have laughed at work so hard after reading that short response.  Thanks.   :)