Author Topic: Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break  (Read 3379 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
before y'all get excited - this is post-Gabriel Genesis.  yeay, another classic rock dinosaur tour.

Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break

LONDON, England (AP) -- Members of the rock group Genesis are reuniting for their first tour in 15 years.

Phil Collins, 55, Mike Rutherford, 56, and Tony Banks, 56, said they planned to kick off a 20-date stadium tour of Europe next June.

The "Turn it on Again" tour -- named for one of their hits -- begins in Helsinki, Finland, on June 11 and ends with a free concert in front of the Colosseum in Rome on July 14.

A series of U.S. dates will follow, the band said.

Genesis was founded in the mid-1960s by Rutherford, Banks, Anthony Phillips and singer Peter Gabriel, who left the group in 1975 and was replaced on vocals by drummer Collins.

They became one of the biggest bands of the 1970s and 80s, with hits such as "Follow You, Follow Me," "That's All" and "Invisible Touch."

The band last toured in 1991, and Collins quit the band to go solo in 1996.

Announcing the tour Tuesday, Collins -- whose solo career has netted him a fortune -- said the reunion was not motivated by money.

"I think we are all loaded enough not to worry about where the next million or two is coming from," he said.

"I just felt now was the right time to have a go at it."

Banks said the tour would give fans the chance to hear a side of the band that went beyond their hits.

"Genesis has another side to it, a more complex area of music," he said.

"One side gets slightly more attention than the other. We are trying to reacquaint people. Genesis is not particularly a group mentioned very much these days and we want to remind people we did do a lot of things."

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/07/genesis.reunion.ap/index.html
<sig>

edbert

Re: Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »
anyone check out "The Musical Box" at State Theater last month?  I was gonna but forgot about it. It's a tribute band that recreates the early Genesis tours

xcanuck

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
I think Musical Box is also playing at Ram's Head (or played recently).

I admit to being a fan of early Genesis (essentially anything up to and including Wind and Wuthering). They weathered the loss of Gabriel in decent fashion (Trick of the Tail had brilliant songwriting) but I think the loss of Steve Hackett turned them into essentially a Phil Collins backup band.

Their time has long gone, regardless of what the band's lineup would be. I'd consider seeing the show for old time's sake but only if Hackett and/or Gabriel were touring. Just the trio...I don't think so.

delancie

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
i can't wait to go see Genesis with my dad!

TheDirector217

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:58:00 pm »
Fuck it.  I'm there.  I ain't gonna front, I fuck with Phil Collins.  Plus Genesis got a nice lil' catalog.  Their shit pumps faithfully out of the speakers every time I go to my doctor/dentist's office.   :p  

P.S. Say what you want, "Jesus He Knows Me" is pop music GENIUS.  Yeah.  I said it.  This time I ain't joking . . . .

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  They weathered the loss of Gabriel in decent fashion (Trick of the Tail had brilliant songwriting) but I think the loss of Steve Hackett turned them into essentially a Phil Collins backup band.
funny how the article doesn't mention hackett at all...
<sig>

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
I don't know what is the worst...Genesis with P. Gabriel, Genesis with P. Collins, P. Gabriel's solo stuff, or P. Collins solo stuff. It's all pretty fucking wretched. Right up there on the worst music of all time list.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 04:18:00 pm »
Ugh.  This is NOT what the world needs.
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  I don't know what is the worst...Genesis with P. Gabriel, Genesis with P. Collins, P. Gabriel's solo stuff, or P. Collins solo stuff. It's all pretty fucking wretched. Right up there on the worst music of all time list.
wow, i can't believe that i'm taking WLSLM's belly-aching seriously (really, does anyone?), but if i had to rank them from best to worse:

Genesis with P. Gabriel
 P. Gabriel's solo stuff
 Genesis with P. Collins
 P. Collins solo stuff.

i saw gabriel in concert at the Montreal forum in '91or '92  and it remains one of the best concerts i've ever been to.  the stage production was incredible, all the monitors were suspended in the air (this was before in-ear) and all musicians were either wireless or on wheeled risers - so the band moved from one end of the rink-long stage to the other.  the props were amazing, like the shape that started rising out of the floor and turn into peter's face (which he was laying flat on top of while singing). the crowd was nuts - the the energy level was so high he had to come out for a second encore and play "Beko" to calm the place down.
<sig>

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:00 pm »
If I wanted "stage production", I'd see a Broadway play, not a rock concert.

And I believe it's "Biko", not Beko".

;)

TheDirector217

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

wow, i can't believe that i'm taking WLSLM's belly-aching seriously (really, does anyone?), but if i had to rank them from best to worse:

Genesis with P. Gabriel
 P. Gabriel's solo stuff
 Genesis with P. Collins
 P. Collins solo stuff.

i saw gabriel in concert at the Montreal forum in '91or '92  and it remains one of the best concerts i've ever been to.  the stage production was incredible, all the monitors were suspended in the air (this was before in-ear) and all musicians were either wireless or on wheeled risers - so the band moved from one end of the rink-long stage to the other.  the props were amazing, like the shape that started rising out of the floor and turn into peter's face (which he was laying flat on top of while singing). the crowd was nuts - the the energy level was so high he had to come out for a second encore and play "Beko" to calm the place down. [/b]
Sidenote: "Digging In The Dirt" is a hot ass song as well.  And I also, once in a blue fuckin' moon, will turn up "Sledgehammer" loud as fuck when there are no witnesses around.  I found last year when one of my ladyfriends pointed it out to me that it's a pretty nasty song.  Not Prince nasty, but subliminal nasty . . .

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »
I still think this is going to be an excellent show! I'm very excited. I've got the entire Genesis catalog  :)   Most of which I bought on cassette that has now been replaced.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »
Like the dinosaurs, dinosaur rock was meant to stay dead...
_\|/_

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »
Even money says one of these Genesis enthusiast is really Weasel from 94.7 the Arrow.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »
  Even money says one of these Genesis enthusiast is really Weasel from 94.7 the Arrow.
It's me...

I've got a radio in my finger...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3