Author Topic: Grapefruit League Action  (Read 7214 times)

brennser

Re: Grapefruit League Action
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2004, 02:47:00 pm »
from mlb.com

When Beattie and Flanagan inherited the front-office job in December 2002, they were saddled with some unwanted contracts and needed those to expire in order to pursue high-priced free agents.

When the 2003 season ended, so did the contracts of Albert Belle, Scott Erickson, Tony Batista and Brook Fordyce, who combined to make $29.93 million last year.

The Orioles have added Miguel Tejada, Javy Lopez, Rafael Palmeiro and Ponson in the past six weeks. Tejada is scheduled to make $7 million in 2004, Palmeiro, $4 million, Lopez $ 7 million and Ponson will average $7.5 million per season. That adds up to $25.5 million, meaning the Orioles are actually under their estimated $60 million payroll from last season.

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2004, 02:50:00 pm »
Well that's the answer i was looking for. When you subtract signing bonuses for the new guys, Segui has the highest salary for this year.

There really should be some kind of performance standards that atheletes must meet or elso they have to forfeit back part of their salaries to the teams...

Originally posted by brennser:
  there was something about david segui making 7 million this year in the paper - is it him? belles salary expired last year so I don't think its him

Venerable Bede

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
from today's this day in baseball day by day calendar:

march 8, 2001

baltimore orioles right fielder Albert Belle is forced to retire after it is clear his degenerative right hip makes it impossible to play the game.
OU812

Venerable Bede

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  from mlb.com

When Beattie and Flanagan inherited the front-office job in December 2002, they were saddled with some unwanted contracts and needed those to expire in order to pursue high-priced free agents.

When the 2003 season ended, so did the contracts of Albert Belle, Scott Erickson, Tony Batista and Brook Fordyce, who combined to make $29.93 million last year.

The Orioles have added Miguel Tejada, Javy Lopez, Rafael Palmeiro and Ponson in the past six weeks. Tejada is scheduled to make $7 million in 2004, Palmeiro, $4 million, Lopez $ 7 million and Ponson will average $7.5 million per season. That adds up to $25.5 million, meaning the Orioles are actually under their estimated $60 million payroll from last season.
and the o's will have more money next year. . maybe they'll buy some pitching, because they are still gonna finish in 4th place this year.
OU812

Guiny

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2004, 04:21:00 pm »
Gotta love it when Tampa Bay is in your division so you have absolutely no chance at finishing in last.

sonickteam2

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Gotta love it when Tampa Bay is in your division so you have absolutely no chance at finishing in last.
didnt Capitals fans used to say that?

mankie

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
didnt Capitals fans used to say that? [/b]
Not exactly...we used to say it's great in the SE division because the Caps will get a top seeding every year, but we can't even say that anymore??

keithstg

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2004, 05:20:00 pm »
This from Mike Wilbon today - absolute genius re: the O's.

Let me admit to you freely that I pay no attention to the Baltimore Orioles. I don't consider them a local team. I consider their owner, Peter Angelos, an obstructionist to getting a baseball team here in Washington. It's not an exciting team. It's not a great franchise anymore and hasn't been for 10 years. There is no great player since the retirement of Cal Ripken to go over there and watch. And the franchise is clearly behind the Red Sox and the Yankees in its own division. Personally, I'd like to see the O's lose every single game.

ratioci nation

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:

Let me admit to you freely that I pay no attention to the Baltimore Orioles. I don't consider them a local team. I consider their owner, Peter Angelos, an obstructionist to getting a baseball team here in Washington. It's not an exciting team. It's not a great franchise anymore and hasn't been for 10 years. There is no great player since the retirement of Cal Ripken to go over there and watch. And the franchise is clearly behind the Red Sox and the Yankees in its own division. Personally, I'd like to see the O's lose every single game.
I wish Angelos would stop getting in the way of the Northern Virginia Expos, I'd love to be able to take the metro to see the Cardinals.

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2004, 05:24:00 pm »
Bet they end up with a better winning percentage than ANY of the sorry ass DC teams.

He just proves he is a typical DC asshole.

Originally posted by keithstg:

keithstg

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
 [I wish Angelos would stop getting in the way of the Northern Virginia Expos, I'd love to be able to take the metro to see the Cardinals. [/QB]
Agreed. I would love to have season tickets again, and root for a national league team. I had O's season tix for two years before the travel involved, a hatred for Angelos, and generally putrid baseball (on the O's part, anyway)drove me away.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  I wish Angelos would stop getting in the way of the Northern Virginia Expos, I'd love to be able to take the metro to see the Cubs.
so would i and the fiancee.
OU812

keithstg

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rutherford_J._Balls_a.k.a_Rhett:
  Bet they end up with a better winning percentage than ANY of the sorry ass DC teams.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

I'll take that bet - you are wrong. Last year, the O's finished 67-95, for a winning percentage of .415. The capitals finished 39-29-8, and the wiz finished 37-45, for a .451 winning percentage.
 Not to mention that the O's haven't had a winning record in five years, and likely won't this year.

Edit: If you mean this year, then maybe. They still will not break .500, though, and over the past five years have been just as bad, but more often worse than any of the DC teams.