Author Topic: Best cable, internet, phone providers  (Read 6095 times)

ggw

Re: Best cable, internet, phone providers
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
 Yep.  We did the same thing.  Got the same answers.    Last time they came out they did something that enables us to watch the digital channels.  For some reason, we weren't getting them originally.  They were just scrambled. I'm not sure if that was originally a mistake or if this guy was doing us a favor.  Anyway, even though we don't have a digital tv, we can now watch the local digital channels.  They're usually letterboxed, but MUCH better picture quality.
If a guy driving a Crown Vic comes to your door with a paper in his hand, pretend you aren't home.

http://www.geocities.com/flutocracy/cablemodem.htm

Bags

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2005, 02:55:00 pm »
I have another home tech question.  Since I've only really got two rooms, are there wireless home speaker options for my stereo, rather than having speakers wired through the walls?  The wired home option is an expensive proposition....

THANKS

Jaguär

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 04:21:00 am »
They are around but I have no idea of the sound quality or if there are any other tech, receiver and sound issues that you might have to consider. I'm sure that Smackie and a few others will be able to give you much better info regarding those things. Would like to know about that myself.

For what it's worth, Comcast internet has been great for me. Pricey as Hell but well worth it for my lifestyle. Don't have cable tv though. It's one or the other for me and tv just isn't that much a part of my life, unlike the internet.

eltee

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 12:11:00 pm »
Anyone use Cavalier? Family and friends love it. (phone/LDD/cable modem/DSL)

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  are there wireless home speaker options for my stereo?  
There are a few options, but I haven't had the best of luck with them in apt buildings (too much interference).  My folks use them in a home, and they provide much better quality sound.  

Two things that you should think about - frequency and power source.  The higher the frequency the better the sound (due to less interference) so go with at least 900 MHZ and try to get speakers that plug into the wall.  I know it seems counterintuitive to get wireless speakers and then have to plug them in, but the wireless part is convenient for not running wires from the stereo.  Battery operated speakers are nice because you can put them anywhere, but you will go through batteries quickly and the sound quality worsens as the batteries get weaker.  If you decice to get battery powered speakers, recharageable batteries are a MUST.  For what it's worth, my folks use RCA wireless speakers that plug in and are happy with them.  

You should be able to find wireless speakers at Best Buy (or comparable stores) for $100 to $200 dollars.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2005, 05:25:00 pm »
Is broadband different from DSL?  Is one more expensive, more reliable, much faster than the other?

Comcast has offers for "high speed internet" and never mentions DSL.  It's got a broadband FAQ on the page, though.  Promo price of $35/month and regular price of $58/month.

vansmack

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2005, 05:35:00 pm »
  Is broadband different from DSL?  Is one more expensive, more reliable, much faster than the other?

Comcast has offers for "high speed internet" and never mentions DSL.  It's got a broadband FAQ on the page, though.  Promo price of $35/month and regular price of $58/month.
Sometimes, you're too cute and you don't even know it.

"Broadband" means high-speed transmission, and in this case it refers to the speed with which data travels in an internet connection, or high speed interent.  In this instance they are one and the same.

Cable Modem Connections and DSL Connections are common residential examples of Residential broadband.  Cable modem travels over cable wires and DSL travels over phone lines, that's the simple difference.

Comcast being a cable company, cannot offer DSL connection because they don't use phone lines.  DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line which is your private phone line connection to the internet.  Instead they offer shared acces through your cable line.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »
To answer your next question, the performance difference (ie, speed) between DSL and cable is a little complicated.

It can best be described by the following:

DSL is a guaranteed speed if you live within a certain distance from the switch (phone company office).  So if you live within, lets say for example 1 Mile, you can get 1.5 MB guaranteed download speeds for around $30.  Verizon's web site will tell you if DSL is available in you location.

Cable modem is a shared connection, which means many people share the same cable connection to the internet.  It's faster (10 MB), but it's only faster when everybody else is not using it.  Actual speeds for download vary depending on many factors (how many people are downloading how big of files).
27>34

distance

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2005, 05:59:00 pm »
i didn't read every single post in the thread, but has anyone found any sections of northern va/dc/etc. where verizion FiOS is available?

screw dsl/cable.

vansmack

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
 [QB] i didn't read every single post in the thread, but has anyone found any sections of northern va/dc/etc. where verizion FiOS is available?[QB]
VERIZON PRESS RELEASE MAY 16, 2005

WHEATON, Md. â?? Verizon customers in several more Montgomery County communities now can experience super high-speed Internet access as the company begins to offer its Verizon FiOSsm (FYEâ??-ose) Internet Service to homes here.

Verizon is rolling out the industryâ??s premier consumer broadband services to many Montgomery County customers, giving them access to three tiers of service with downstream (download) speeds of up to 5, 15 and 30 Mbps (megabits per second). (exchanges listed below)

While FiOS Internet Service is not immediately available to all customers in all locations, the service is now available to many Verizon residential customers in the 240 area code with prefixes 292 and 694; and in the 301 area code with prefixes 214, 227, 229, 236, 260, 263, 295, 299, 319, 320, 365, 380, 384, 388, 421, 469, 476, 493, 530, 564, 570, 571, 581, 592, 593, 622, 625, 649, 680, 681, 754, 765, 767, 774, 803, 879, 896, 897, 905, 924, 929, 933, 940, 942, 946, 949, 962, 983, 989.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2005, 11:28:00 pm »
Thank you, Smackie!  Okay, Comcast's high speed internet is a 4 MB download speed.  That sounds pretty good, doesn't it.

One last question (until the next question) -- my building is only a couple years old and one of its features is that it's "wired for high speed internet."  Does this mean cable or phone lines for DSL typically?

:)    Thankie thankie smackie.....

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »
  Thank you, Smackie!  Okay, Comcast's high speed internet is a 4 MB download speed.  That sounds pretty good, doesn't it.

One last question (until the next question) -- my building is only a couple years old and one of its features is that it's "wired for high speed internet."  Does this mean cable or phone lines for DSL typically?

:)     Thankie thankie smackie.....
Yes, that's all that means - your building has cable hooked up.  

You likley wouldn't notice a difference between DSL or Cable modem as your likely not a super intensive bandwidth user at this point so go with the most affordable solution.

Folks will have negative and positive things to say about both DSL and Cable.  I've used both and I can say that their reliability is about the same.
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Folks will have negative and positive things to say about both DSL and Cable.  I've used both and I can say that their reliability is about the same.
I agree, I have dsl for reasons other than speed, but the average user should not really experience much of a difference.

Bags

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 05:48:00 pm »
I'm going with Comcast Digital Cable for t.v. and cable internet...I have to get cable service from them anyhow as RCN isn't wired at my building (which I find odd, as it's a new building).  Early out promos are good, $29.99.mo for a year on the cable, $70 for digital cable with digital video recording...  Fingers crossed.  These service providers are often awful...

Bags

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
I'm probably the only one out looking, but just in case, PC World did a huge feature comparing and rating internet providers of all stripes.  The  article/articles are here.