Author Topic: Best cable, internet, phone providers  (Read 6096 times)

Bags

Best cable, internet, phone providers
« on: June 02, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
I know this same question comes up again and again, but I'm finally moving this month and am going to have to look for internet service, cable and phone provider.  So, suggestions?

I'd love to go wireless in my apt -- ideas on cost?  

As for cable, I just do not want to shell out $80 - 100/month on t.v.  Call me crazy, so I may just need to go basic, either Starpower or ComCast (do they have comcast in the District now?).

As for phone, I barely use it....minimum local service is all I'm looking for.

Driveway

Re: Best cable, internet, phone providers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
My Cox account is: 19.99 for basic cable and 29.99 for Cable internet.  Got a wireless router for 10 bucks on sale at best buy.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
lucky you!

I am paying like $44.99 a month for Comcast internet.  and with cable its $100 a month. I do have digital cable, but even with basic, i cant get my bill under $80 a month.

but i cant find another option

my comcast internet is lightning fast though, and almost never goes down or even slows down for that matter...

joz

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
for the first two years i lived in dc, i had comcast which was total shit. the cable always went out and the customer service was a joke. the cost was outrageous too. i now have starpower (now RCN...they were bought out recently) and have been very happy since. i have a bundled package that includes local/long-distance phone (they don't charge extra to have long distance service...you don't pay unless you use it), high-speed cable modem and cable. great service and the price isn't too bad either. i can't remember exactly how much but i think the base price is about $135/mo.

edit: i should note that i have the digital premium tier including hbo and showtime in my living room along with basic cable in my bedroom...i'm sure you can get bundles for a lot cheaper than $135 with less bells and whistles.

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
  for the first two years i lived in dc, i had comcast which was total shit. the cable always went out and the customer service was a joke. the cost was outrageous too. i now have starpower (now RCN...they were bought out recently) and have been very happy since. i have a bundled package that includes local/long-distance phone (they don't charge extra to have long distance service...you don't pay unless you use it), high-speed cable modem and cable. great service and the price isn't too bad either. i can't remember exactly how much but i think the base price is about $135/mo.

edit: i should note that i have the digital premium tier including hbo and showtime in my living room along with basic cable in my bedroom...i'm sure you can get bundles for a lot cheaper than $135 with less bells and whistles.
I think Starpower has always been RCN, they are just going by that name now

joz

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  I think Starpower has always been RCN, they are just going by that name now
when the name change took effect, the letter i was sent said they had merged some time ago but just switched over to the rcn name. guess i misrepresented their relationship in my last post. anyway, i was just noting that starpower technically doesn't exist anymore.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 11:55:00 am »
I've had Starpower for years, and have hated the service.  Though I think that's always the way -- you never get the customer service you're looking for.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
i just move from (sucks) cox hell to comcastland and i got:

-cable internet
 -digital cable
 -hbo
 -showtime
 -dvr

for $99 per month for the first year. not a bad deal. plus, cox doesn't have on demand
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 12:11:00 pm »
on-demand is the best thing comcast has going...

have you considered DirecTv?
T.Rex

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
If you're moving to Ireland....Chorus is the best provider.   :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

-cable internet
 -digital cable
 -hbo
 -showtime
 -dvr

for $99 per month for the first year. not a bad deal. plus, cox doesn't have on demand
hmph.  i got all that for the same price, but no DVR. bastards.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 12:30:00 pm »

. plus, cox doesn't have on demand
hmmmmmm...can't get cox on demand. My missus would NOT be happy about that!!!!!  :D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 12:43:00 pm »

-cable internet
 -digital cable
 -hbo
 -showtime
 -dvr

whats it go up to after that... in PG county thats about what I way without cable internet.  Comcast really soaks their PG County customers, while briefly living in Howard County all that was provided a much lower cost point.

besides i refuse to ever get cable internet because i don't want to pay the bastards anymore money then i have to.. real competition needs to be put in place for cable services.  in the detroit area when competition came about the prices suddenly got lower.

oh yeah i use Earthlink DSL... and use the lowest usage local verizon service
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 12:55:00 pm »
Okay, Cable or DSL internet....

And, no Cox in the District.

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 01:05:00 pm »
I use DirecT(i)V(o) ($50 a month for 160 channels and a TiVo) and 3 MB DSL ($29.99).  No local phone - we only use mobile phones.
27>34