Author Topic: Revolution Records closing at the end of the month  (Read 6667 times)

lily1

Re: Revolution Records closing at the end of the month
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 08:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  Don't flatter yourself.
you're seven years too young for him if we're using the smackie format of determing how young a lady he can date...  :D

Mobius

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 09:22:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]i've made a pledge with my girlfriend to keep our visit to one hour, we'll see how that works out [/QB][/QUOTE]

Its funny b/c the place seems unassuming, but it sucks you in.  If you go there to buy Ziggy Stardust, you find yourself flipping through all the Bowie stuff and thinking "I really should own everything Bowie ever put out . . . and for that matter, I need more T. Rex, and what about Mott the Hoople?"  Then you realize you haven't listened to the Velvet Underground in a while and why is that and maybe you should buy all their stuff, even the stuff you already own, just b/c it seems like a good thing to do.  And what about Iggy?  And maybe now's the time to get the second Television album . . . and how about getting the 10 CD Coltrane box set live from Village Vanguard and listening to it in order? . . . Then you see a recommendation for MBV and find yourself looking for the Slowdive and Ride CDs you don't have . . . and on and on.   Last time I was there I specifically wanted to get Sly Stone's "Fresh" and found myself seriously considering buying his late 70's stuff like "Back on the Right Track."  Of course I've never thought about buying that before or after, or even downloading it.  

So, an hour limit can be good.  Just like a 6 beer limit can good.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 09:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by Mobius:
  The first time I went to Amoeba in SF I had "no vested interest" and 2 hours later was ready to buy 15 CDs . . . and that was after showing restraint.
i've made a pledge with my girlfriend to keep our visit to one hour, we'll see how that works out [/b]
I have a list as long as my arm of stuff to buy.  It's gonna be bad.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 11:44:00 pm »
Coming from LA in December, we actually had to bring an extra suitcase to hold my cds, my dad's cds, and some fabric I had bought.  I do a usual damage of 20something per trip.  But it's better to stock up there when I can than spend three times as much on the same stuff here, or go crazy looking for stuff I can't find.  Pack light, Grace.

And hooray for Big City Rock  :)

Fico

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:

Don't flatter yourself.
you're seven years too young for him if we're using the smackie format of determing how young a lady he can date...   :D  [/b]
Ah.... the ole' half yer age + 7 formula...perfect for all occasions outside the OC...

luving the new Youth Group record btw...

also, anyone heard Dirty on Purpose?? we got asked to play with them but I'm not too familiar...thoughts?

you be betty

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:

Originally posted by lily1:

Don't flatter yourself.
you're seven years too young for him if we're using the smackie format of determing how young a lady he can date...    :D   [/b]
Ah.... the ole' half yer age + 7 formula...perfect for all occasions outside the OC...

luving the new Youth Group record btw...

also, anyone heard Dirty on Purpose?? we got asked to play with them but I'm not too familiar...thoughts? [/b]
iTunes is doing free samplers with facebook to the delight of young music nerds like moi, and I just got a song of theirs along with one of them.  I'm digging their sound a lot.  Mellow stuff.

bellenseb

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »
Any truth to the rumors of Orpheus closing? Are they feeling the heat from Som and Crooked Beat?
 Has anyone actually BEEN to Som, and does anyone know its hours or web site?

With Smash!, Capital City, and Revolution closing, looks like we're shrinking down to the bare essentials in the DC record store scene.

Anyone know how CD Warehouse manages to survive in Georgetown? I can't figure out what demo they're serving.

ggw

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Any truth to the rumors of Orpheus closing?
Doubt it.  

I was talking to the guy there about the gentrification of Clarendon.  He indicated that he planned to stay in the neighborhood for quite some time.

edbert

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Anyone know how CD Warehouse manages to survive in Georgetown? I can't figure out what demo they're serving.
I'm guessing its young European tourists because their Pounds or Euros are strong against the dollar

ggw

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
What's Som?

bellenseb

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »
Som is the new vinyl-only offshoot of Crooked Beat, supposedly right near the Black Cat.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 07:43:00 pm »
  also, anyone heard Dirty on Purpose?? we got asked to play with them but I'm not too familiar...thoughts?
Do it. You won't regret it. A little noisier than your band but not that far abroad either.

They played the Black Cat's backstage a year ago (or maybe even longer since I don't think Doom was even in town then) and I really wanted to go but wasn't able to make it. Meanwhile, I convinced Dr. Doom to go and he was very happy with their show.

They are from NYC and are just now getting a fair bit of hype.

Fico

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Do it. You won't regret it. A little noisier than your band but not that far abroad either.

They played the Black Cat's backstage a year ago (or maybe even longer since I don't think Doom was even in town then) and I really wanted to go but wasn't able to make it. Meanwhile, I convinced Dr. Doom to go and he was very happy with their show.

They are from NYC and are just now getting a fair bit of hype. [/b]
Yeah we booked the show...sound issues permitting I think it shall turn out to be a really fun night  :)

you be betty

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »
is it gonna be here?  that is a good lineup  :)