Author Topic: Bosstones Last Night  (Read 2730 times)

mfanning

Bosstones Last Night
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:22 pm »
Am I the only one who thought the Bosstones show last night was really weak?  It was my 37th time seeing them, and jeez...maybe we've all just gotten old, but I was really disappointed in the energy of the whole set.  The set list was too heavy on "ska" and not enough on "core"...aside from Ben Carr and Chris Rhodes on trombone, it just looked like everyone else was sort of going through the motions.  I know they just flew cross country after playing LA on Thursday...maybe that was it.

On a different, but equally disappointing note, I've never seen so many sundresses and flip-flops at a show in my life.  Half the crowd was dressed up to hit U ST. after the show.

And finally, if anyone is in possession of a grey and burgundy tweed scally cap that was lost near the front during "Someday I Suppose" let me know!

Yada

Re: Bosstones Last Night
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:26:31 pm »
"On a different, but equally disappointing note, I've never seen so many sundresses and flip-flops at a show in my life.  Half the crowd was dressed up to hit U ST. after the show."

Wow...since when is it a bad thing that females wear sundresses?

killsaly

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »
37 times?  Damn

mfanning

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:14:20 pm »
"Wow...since when is it a bad thing that females wear sundresses?"

Of course I have nothing against sundresses per se, but when those wearing them have no idea about half the songs, or lack the good sense not to be in toe-smash range of the pit (then complain when people are encroaching on their space 20 feet from the stage), well, that's what I was bemoaning.  The sundress comment was just a metaphor for the decidedly mellow, more here for the drinks than the band crowd.

I think back to when the 'Tones last played the 9:30 in February of '03 and it just seemed like a crazier, more off the cuff show.  Last night's was more of a "performance," more structured, if you will.  Maybe because the band is older and less prone to, or tolerant of, chaos.  The bulk of the crowd last night definitely seemed that way, at least.  Maybe I've seen them too many times. 

BookerT

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:40:40 pm »

It was my 37th time seeing them

Maybe I've seen them too many times. 

thanks to everyone for playing Understatement of the Year! the 2010 champion has been crowned and we're ending the competition four months early. see you all in 2011!

Alan

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »
37 times !!! WOW !!!  :o :o :o :o :o

What were the demographics of the crowd ? Average age of the females wearing sundresses ?

mfanning

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »

thanks to everyone for playing Understatement of the Year! the 2010 champion has been crowned and we're ending the competition four months early. see you all in 2011!

Sweet!!!  I never win anything...

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:13 am »
too bad it was the bosstones . . . the only thing you won was an evening of date rapes and aids jokes.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:59 am »

Don't hipster snob on the Bosstones.  They are as authentic as you can get in 2010.  Sure, they're a little frat boy.  But as evidenced by Lollapalooza, so are The Arcade Fire.

I haven't seen them recently but the Bosstones are almost always great live.  I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing a great live band 37 times.  It's seeing a band like Wilco or Radiohead 37 times that I can't comprehend.

Brian

Buck Satan

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:14:02 am »
Don't be hatin' on the Bosstones!!!!!!  That show was freakin' aweseome!!!!! Can't say I've seen them 37 times, just an unimpressive twice  :(

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:01 pm »

Don't hipster snob on the Bosstones.  They are as authentic as you can get in 2010.  Sure, they're a little frat boy.  But as evidenced by Lollapalooza, so are The Arcade Fire.

I haven't seen them recently but the Bosstones are almost always great live.  I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing a great live band 37 times.  It's seeing a band like Wilco or Radiohead 37 times that I can't comprehend.

Brian

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »
love that movie.

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:25:21 pm »
it's like the three faces of brian's post, each one in their own state of accomplishment excitement . . . and i guess i get to be veronica.  how very.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:56:52 pm by walkonby »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 06:30:34 pm »
I'm sure seeing a ska band 37 times is way better than seeing either Wilco or Radiohead........yeah right!

Brian
(_|_)