Author Topic: Spiritualized Roll Call  (Read 4671 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Spiritualized Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 05:06:00 am »
Bet you that you are thinking of the show that was something like April 21, (2002?) when BRMC opened for them. I have no flipping clue why I remember that date. God, I can't believe it was that many years ago! Feels like maybe only about 3 years. That too was one of my all time favorite shows. Some people really hated it but I guess it's like Sonick said, depends on the kind of music you are into. It separated the cerebral droners from everyone else.

They also played the previous September (the 23rd, I think) of 2001 but I had to miss that show because I was teaching at the time and it was just impossible for me. (Or maybe that date was The Charlatans which was postphoned but Spiritualized was very close to then. Maybe something like Oct. 3rd.) Apparently, according to popular opinion, that show sucked. In fact, the conscenses was that the entire tour sucked. If I had to miss one, I'm glad it was that one.

There was another show which was actually their last time in the area and at the 9:30 Club. Phaser opened that show. Spiritualized were playing some festival up in NY and did a handful of other shows in the NE area while over here. It was a very stripped down show and nowhere as good as the show when BRMC opened. In fact, it was very mediocre. It was almost like a Spiritualized unplugged show except they were plugged in. I know that makes no sense but if you were there, you would understand.

Sonick, I agree with you about the new release vs the show. I like A+E but think it has it's weaknesses too. At the momement, it gets about a B+ on my shelf. But live, a whole other story! Damn, that stuff was good! Obviously, this music works wonderfully live but just doesn't translate quite as well recorded. Guess I need to go back and relisten with a whole new perspective.

azaghal1981

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »
NPR'd

The interview is worth a listen too.
احمد

SPARX

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  NPR'd

The interview is worth a listen too.
Thanks for the link!

azaghal1981

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »
Not a problem.

NPR should offer flac downloads of these shows they broadcast for a small donation.

I'd buy all the ones I'd go to plus more.
احمد

Cali

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »
maybe i just wasnt in the mood for a show or that kind of music? i'm one of the few people that didnt like the show. i enjoyed the faster songs more than the slow songs. i like the show more more on second listen, but cant say i'll pay to see them again. think i liked the dirtbombs more.

i do like that lay back in the sun song though.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »
I think you have to be familiar with the music a little bit...

Originally posted by Cali:
  maybe i just wasnt in the mood for a show or that kind of music? i'm one of the few people that didnt like the show. i enjoyed the faster songs more than the slow songs. i like the show more more on second listen, but cant say i'll pay to see them again. think i liked the dirtbombs more.

i do like that lay back in the sun song though.
(_|_)

Cali

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »
yeah, i think this was the one time when not knowing the music before the show was a bad idea.

anarchist

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »
dirtbombs were real good.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »
Jaguar, that show with BRMC was April 20, 2002.  Things'll Never Be The Same was absolutely immense at that show.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
  Jaguar, that show with BRMC was April 20, 2002.  Things'll Never Be The Same was absolutely immense at that show.
I was at that show as well.  Great show.

SPARX

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:

Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
I was at that show as well.  Great show. [/b]
Likewise. Was a great night! Lots of boardies in attendance as well. Excellent double bill, they  both gave us our monies worth fer sure.Hard to believe it was 6 years ago. Time flies. 420,perfect.
 Sorry I missed them this go round though.Sounded like a great show.Thanks to NPR's stream at least I got to hear it.